Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings' Anthony Barr admits it: Sometimes he just didn't try very hard
For the most part, I didn't see any team's offense move the ball on this defense until they were worn out from being on the field too long.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
For the most part, I didn't see any team's offense move the ball on this defense until they were worn out from being on the field too long.
I am rewatching the cards game and they just had the ball shoved down their throat on the second drive of the game after the Vikes O had driven down to take a lead.  The D is good,  but they aren't above reproach.  Plenty of early game let downs.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I think Barrs success as a pass rusher comes from his versatility.  He isn't a physically dominating guy,  his speed is what allows him to get home on a rush. He is pretty easily blocked when a lineman gets their hands on him as you rarely see him make a play on the QB by getting off a block.  I have my doubts that he would make a good 34 DE or any position that requires him to beat a guy heads up.

His ability to be blitzed from a pass coverage position pre snap is his ticket.

But all I know is that side of our front 7 need to get much stronger agaisnt the run.  From memory it seems like when teams wanted to run they went that way towards Griff and Barr.
Offenses tend to run the ball more often to the strong side than to the weak side. Barr is a strong side linebacker. Therefore, teams will usually run toward Barr regardless of how good or terrible he is against the run.

I don't think anyone would ever suggest Barr should be a 3-4 DE... so I'm not really sure where that is coming from. 

In terms of the overall run defense, the perceived "struggles" of certain players are simply byproducts of the alignment. Griffen is often lined up in a 9-technique. Since his job from that alignment is typically a speed rush from the edge, he's going to be taken out of plays run into the A/B gaps. That's really where the 3-technique is the key to stopping the run.

In my opinion, much of the relative struggle in defending the run hasn't been the fault of Griffen (or Robison/Hunter) or the linebackers. It has been because of the lack of a serviceable 3-technique alongside Joseph. 

Well that's the first step. He recognized the need to improve and is making a commitment to do the work. He is hella talented. Get after it Anthony.

Well if Barr puts forth more effort and listens to his coaches all will be good.  Don't really give a damn what Zulgad wants to drum up.

It wouldn't surprise me if Barr wants out of here after his rookie contract. He could be far more impactful on a 3-4 team, and probably a lot less complex than what he is asked to do in Zimmer's 4-3. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Barr wants out of here after his rookie contract. He could be far more impactful on a 3-4 team, and probably a lot less complex than what he is asked to do in Zimmer's 4-3. 
They need to start mixing in Barr as a standup DE on passing downs for a new look.....I think they are planning that this year. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Listen, if you can't handle some people ripping on a player for coasting that has a history of this which is true for Barr, then what can you rip? Dude needs to play up to his talent level. He's got a front runner mentality. I'm sure the coaches' tape shows some pretty ridiculous half assed efforts on his part. At least make some plays along the way. He was invisible last year. 
But that's not what Zulgad was doing. Zulgad was actually doing the opposite. He was ripping the coaching staff and not the player. 

How many times in the game time chat did we all point out the ghost on the field, lost in coverage, late too the hole, arm tackles.  I hope he believes the kool aid he is talkin and follows thru.  It was like he showed up on game day without being in practice all week.  He can do it , he just has to follow his own advice

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@StickyBun said:
Listen, if you can't handle some people ripping on a player for coasting that has a history of this which is true for Barr, then what can you rip? Dude needs to play up to his talent level. He's got a front runner mentality. I'm sure the coaches' tape shows some pretty ridiculous half assed efforts on his part. At least make some plays along the way. He was invisible last year. 
But that's not what Zulgad was doing. Zulgad was actually doing the opposite. He was ripping the coaching staff and not the player. 
Yeah, I was talking about posters in the thread making excuses for poor effort, not Zulgad.