Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workout for JJM
Lol. Some people will be mad either way 

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
I know that I’m in the minority but McCarthy would be my first choice, followed by Maye. I’d definitely be happy with either one.
If its #4 they trade up to, it will be for JJM. I'd have zero problem with it, the kid is going to realize that nice upside under KOC if it happens. Nobody in this Draft has more ability to successfully maximize a coach's gameplan than McCarthy. He'll be the physical embodiment of what KOC wants to implement. 

If KAM is moving to 4 or 5 for JJM, how would you feel if the cost is 11, 23, and next year's first? Seems like too much for JJM. If it is just 11 and 23, I say no problem. Even if it takes a 3d in '25. But right now I think I would use next year's first only to move up to 2 or 3.

Quote: @dadevike said:
If KAM is moving to 4 or 5 for JJM, how would you feel if the cost is 11, 23, and next year's first? Seems like too much for JJM. If it is just 11 and 23, I say no problem. Even if it takes a 3d in '25. But right now I think I would use next year's first only to move up to 2 or 3.

We need a QB. And if we have to move to 4 to get one we like, then we have to move to 4. Yes, the cost will suck and the next few drafts will be kind of a bummer with no first round pick, but an even bigger bummer is going into 2024 with just Darnold. And an EVEN BIGGER bummer is going into 2024 with Darnold and a QB we drafted who the FO and coaches aren't really in love with.
The Vikings put themselves into this situation and I think they're going to pay whatever it takes to avoid the latter two scenarios I laid out. Frankly, as they should.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Havoc1649 said:
It may be as simple as they want Maye as reported but if he goes, they want to be confident in JJM as their contingency plan. 

That’s presuming Maye is indeed their guy.
I think that's exactly it. Based on everything I've seen, heard, read, I would say they love Maye, are willing to go as high as 2 to get him, no matter the cost, but if that doesn't work out, they really like McCarthy too. 

Of course all of this could be wrong and their real target is Spencer Rattler for all we really know. It is the age of disinformation. 

Fast-forward to April 26th: "There was no way we were leaving the draft without Michael Penix Jr. we loved him through the process". Secretly crying inside knowing Drake Maye was the guy. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Havoc1649 said:
It may be as simple as they want Maye as reported but if he goes, they want to be confident in JJM as their contingency plan. 

I think that's exactly it. Based on everything I've seen, heard, read, I would say they love Maye, are willing to go as high as 2 to get him, no matter the cost, but if that doesn't work out, they really like McCarthy too. 

Of course all of this could be wrong and their real target is Spencer Rattler for all we really know. It is the age of disinformation. 

Fast-forward to April 26th: "There was no way we were leaving the draft without Michael Penix Jr. we loved him through the process". Secretly crying inside knowing Drake Maye was the guy. 
Yep, that's how it works. 

@MaroonBells said:
@Havoc1649 said:

There's no crying in competitive rebuilding. You reap what you sow and if we miss out on Maye because we chose to retain Cousins, Hunter, etc on our way to going nowhere, well, Kwesi and the Wilfs can shine those fake smiles up real big on draft day if they end up stuck with a quarterback they weren't totally in love with. 

@MaroonBells said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I'd take Penix over Maye.  

I have not watched Caleb Williams except for seeing some of his games at Ok and USC. He is the clear number 1 to me. The rest all have serious flaws. Whether those flaws can be coached out of them is way beyond me. (BTW, I am a Michigan guy and a fan of JJM.)

I have seen Maye look average with lots of inaccurate short to intermediate throws. But he throws a really nice deep ball. He also played on a mediocre team, did not have much help (Tez joined the team late in the season), and had to pass constantly. He is a big QB with a strong arm but I do not see Josh Allen there. Physically, he is more like Justin Herbert. 

JJM: I have seen all of his games at Michigan. He did not throw much at Michigan, but he was constantly in third and long-ish and bailed out the offense almost every time. He has a strong arm, he is a good athlete who runs well and can throw on the run. He is pretty accurate but his deep ball is not very good. Can that be corrected? IDK. Great guy and easy to root for. But he needs more passing experience and he is going to have to get it in the NFL, preferably in practice. So in some ways he is very different from Maye.

Penix throws a great deep ball. But he really seems bothered by pressure - pass rush pressure, not game situation pressure. I am dubious about his ability to run considering his knee injuries. He had an excellent O-line and fantastic WRs to throw to - comparable to LSU and Daniels and much better than NC. Michigan had a very good O-line but no great WRs. So he was not pressured much, but watch the games where he was and see what happens on those plays. (Another QB who does not handle pass rush pressure well is Jared Goff. So the Lions built one of the best O-Lines and now Goff is fine.)

I'm not very high on Nix. He just throws so many short passes and passes behind the LOS. His completion % is a little fake, but he is very accurate and he is a good athlete. However, he is mostly a one-read passer. That's fine if you have better athletes than the opposition, but that does not really work in the NFL. Maybe he never really needed to look to his second or third options knowing he could always dump it off to Bucky Irving??

One interesting guy that people tend to hate is Spencer Rattler. He is growing on me as a mid-round project. He has very good arm talent, a quick release, stands in the pocket and takes a hit while delivering the ball accurately. He is not a big guy and not much of an athlete, but is sneaky in the pocket in ways Cousins is not. His South Carolina team sucked. His protection was worse than Maye's. He had one guy to throw to, Xavier Legette. Even his TE left for FSU. But he battled every game in the SEC. I thought he was through when he left Oklahoma after losing the starting job to Caleb Williams. He seemed immature and with no leadership qualities. He may have grown up at (the other) USC. 

JJM hype continues to heat up. Believe it...or don't. 

REPORT: The #Commanders have interest in JJ McCarthy with the 2nd pick, per @Schultz_Report  Washington is flying out to Ann Arbor to have dinner with McCarthy the night before his Pro Day.

There was a time just weeks ago where social media thought he was a day 2 pick…