Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings' Anthony Barr admits it: Sometimes he just didn't try very hard
Barr says he didnt put enough effort in. The coaching staff says much similar. But Zulgad?! He's leaning towards the coaching staff didn't utilize him wisely enough. Lol... whats the best plan for a guy coming off his worst season who says he wasnt giving it his all? Firing the coaching staff because the guy might try harder for someone else? ... come on now...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Bezerker88 said:
I've said since he was drafted...  Get that other guy in Barr's college highlights in purple.  When the Vikings did Barr's "effort" dropped... or was it Kendricks just beat him to plays?  I think Barr reverted back to letting Eric take care of things.  I've heard the elder Kendricks wants out of Philly, I would mind seeing him here, but would that stifle Barr even more?  Don't care... get the best players that give 100% here and then put them on the field.  

I think it was Kendricks who stirred the D last year more than Barr. 

Sounds like Barr is owning up to his lack of effort, which is the first step...   I hope he gets back to being an impact player every week. 
Yup, Kendricks can be disruptive too...I think Barr's ceiling is higher myself. 

I think Dulgadd hints at something important - it's how the Vikings decide to use Barr. Not sure some of his ineffectiveness last year traced to dropping back and how he was used? 

Is he going to be great in a "typical" lb role? Or does he need to play some kind of hybrid? Would he be best as a rushing OL in a 3/4? I don't know....

I think Robinson is going to surprise people this season...  long, athletic and rangy.  I would pass on Kendrick's bro...

As far as Barr, I think we are doing him a disservice by not rushing him more.  He's a BEAST.  He also can cover, but to get him fully engaged all game we can't just drop him back in coverage all the time like 2016...  let him tee up a few QBs like he did Stafford in 2015 and reap the rewards of a 100% effort Barr.

BOOM

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Bezerker88 said:
I've said since he was drafted...  Get that other guy in Barr's college highlights in purple.  When the Vikings did Barr's "effort" dropped... or was it Kendricks just beat him to plays?  I think Barr reverted back to letting Eric take care of things.  I've heard the elder Kendricks wants out of Philly, I would mind seeing him here, but would that stifle Barr even more?  Don't care... get the best players that give 100% here and then put them on the field.  

I think it was Kendricks who stirred the D last year more than Barr. 

Sounds like Barr is owning up to his lack of effort, which is the first step...   I hope he gets back to being an impact player every week. 
Yup, Kendricks can be disruptive too...I think Barr's ceiling is higher myself. 

I think Dulgadd hints at something important - it's how the Vikings decide to use Barr. Not sure some of his ineffectiveness last year traced to dropping back and how he was used? 

Is he going to be great in a "typical" lb role? Or does he need to play some kind of hybrid? Would he be best as a rushing OL in a 3/4? I don't know....

I think Robinson is going to surprise people this season...  long, athletic and rangy.  I would pass on Kendrick's bro...

As far as Barr, I think we are doing him a disservice by not rushing him more.  He's a BEAST.  He also can cover, but to get him fully engaged all game we can't just drop him back in coverage all the time like 2016...  let him tee up a few QBs like he did Stafford in 2015 and reap the rewards of a 100% effort Barr.

BOOM
Agree. I think half the teams in the NFL would use him at DE. Coming out, Barr and Doleman were identical in size. Doleman started at linebacker, but put on about 30 lbs and became one of the great pass rushing ends in football. 

[Image: 311tidqif5mq.jpg]
Come on Anthony!  Wink

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
100% effort at all times is bare minimum requirement...
Do you live by that?

It's hard to live up to 100%, when the results not looking good.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Barr says he didnt put enough effort in. The coaching staff says much similar. But Zulgad?! He's leaning towards the coaching staff didn't utilize him wisely enough. Lol... whats the best plan for a guy coming off his worst season who says he wasnt giving it his all? Firing the coaching staff because the guy might try harder for someone else? ... come on now...
Or get rid of the guy.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
My thoughts as well.  Barr actually admits to a flaw, the coaches actually pointed it out and zudlag has to find a different reason with which to bash the Vikings.

Listen, if you can't handle some people ripping on a player for coasting that has a history of this which is true for Barr, then what can you rip? Dude needs to play up to his talent level. He's got a front runner mentality. I'm sure the coaches' tape shows some pretty ridiculous half assed efforts on his part. At least make some plays along the way. He was invisible last year. 

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
100% effort at all times is bare minimum requirement...
Do you live by that?

It's hard to live up to 100%, when the results not looking good.
Absolutely. Whether it was amateur cycling (qualified for state my first year competing against guys who had been riding their whole life) or muni league hoops against guy who played in high school or college. Effort is the easiest thing to control. 

I think Barrs success as a pass rusher comes from his versatility.  He isn't a physically dominating guy,  his speed is what allows him to get home on a rush. He is pretty easily blocked when a lineman gets their hands on him as you rarely see him make a play on the QB by getting off a block.  I have my doubts that he would make a good 34 DE or any position that requires him to beat a guy heads up.

His ability to be blitzed from a pass coverage position pre snap is his ticket.

But all I know is that side of our front 7 need to get much stronger agaisnt the run.  From memory it seems like when teams wanted to run they went that way towards Griff and Barr.