Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick your poison
From what I understand, Kirko's deal is $100 million -- not really $150.  It is a 3 year deal is essence (no guaranteed money in year 4) and actually doable to get out of in 2 years (only $10 million guaranteed in Year 3, plus proration of signing bonus).  I'm not saying that means we should have matched that deal -- just that "4 years" and "$150 million" is a bit misleading.  My guess is that the Vikes would have gone in on a lucrative 2-year deal with all or nearly all guaranteed money.  The issue to me, as many have pointed out, is "Plan B" right now looks shaky or non-existent.  We enter the draft in dire need of a QB and everyone knows it.  The temptation to mortgage the future to move up in the draft is going to be extreme -- desperation breeds stupid decision-making.  But, hey, maybe we get lucky...

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@pattersaur said:
@Havoc1649 said:
The Vikings have $153,000,000 in cap space next year before the cap rises and large old contracts like Harry’s still on the books that can be removed. 

It will take no “cap gymnastics”. I could sign all those guys, Kirk, JJ and eventually our LT without issue. 

The cap played no role in the Cousins decision. It was all about Kwesi beung able to dump Cousins and his contract as soon as a viable young guy was on the roster. Cousins didn’t want to play that game. Now we have Sam Darnold and a crap load of cap space.
Which is why he should've gotten the deal to move up for Anthony Richardson done last year. This whole thing would feel night and day different if he was in house. Even if we didn't have a FRP this year because of that move and no Addison on the team. Plus even more. But at least we'd know we have a QBOTF, lots of exciting new FAs, a budding defense, etc.
Instead, while we still have some of those things, it's going to be an absolute sweat all the way until draft day and even beyond to see if we can identify and secure a rookie QB who can play well in the NFL. It's absolutely possible and we all gotta hope it happens. But I can't shake the feeling that the linchpin of this entire plan-- getting the QBOTF to succeed Kirk LAST year-- is missing. Now we're in uncharted waters.

Gotta have 2 to tango.  It sounds like they tried.  The same will be true this year.  We could offer the farm, but if none of the top 3 are willing to trade then JJM is what is left. 
Thats the thing.  Indy needed a QB and no way the Will Anderson pick was for sale. 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@StickyBun said:
@CFIAvike said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@Havoc1649 said:
They could have signed Kirk and all those guys except Darnold - no problem at all.
I miss Kirko Chainz also.....but then saw what Atlanta gave him. Vikes are done paying an A+ contract for B+ work (credit Cowherd). Time to take a swing and let this guy blow the Gjallarhorn:

[Image: GBS1438XIAAwpq3.png]

Draft charts say our 1st and 2nd is enough to move up to 5 if LAC will do it.  If there was a world where we trade our 2 top picks and maybe a lower pick next year instead of mortgaging the future, go for it.  I don't want to give away next years pick though. 
Staying at #11 to take JJ McPonder would be enough, but it appears as though were gonna have to trade up for him because every team now knows we starved at QB. 
Ahhhh, I see now. You are here to just shit on every, single thing. Got it. Excited to continue to hear hilarious things like 'JJ McPonder' all offseason from you. No matter what the team does, it won't be enough. Cool. 

Weren't you the guy that materialized out of nowhere mid-season when the injuries started to pile up and Cousins was out? I mean, the long timers here like Happy and others who are unhappy, if they want to bitch and complain, I'm here to listen to it. You? Not so much. 
I’ve been around since the purple thoughts board, thank you. I think Williams, Maye, or Daniels all stand at least a puncher’s chance of being a legit QBOTF. Wouldn’t complain about that at all. 

I just don’t understand the hype or hope behind JJM. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the combine. Harbaugh says he’s the “best QB in the history of Michigan football” and everyone’s ready to pull their wagon up to captain hand off. 

He’s honestly the most Christian Ponder QB to come out since Christian Ponder
Of all the QB's coming out this year, Maye and Nix scare me most. Maye looks horribly inaccurate. Nix looks like he has the weakest arm. 

McCarthy probably comes out of the most NFL centric college system, has the best footwork, and knows how to read progressions. My only concern is that he needs time to learn to layer his throws, and that his passes tend to rise. Again, he needs time with a QB coach and more game reps so he could develop a rhythm where the scheme isn't so run heavy. Only time will tell if it all comes together for him.

Daniels and Williams are the biggest boom or busts. Daniels' frame and mindset scares me. Some of Williams' personality traits scare me. That USC QB bust factor real? 

Where does Penix stack up in this group?

Yeah, it's not ideal. Ideally, we moved up last year, took Richardson and he's now our starting QB going into year two. This year, we'd let Atlanta take Cousins and we draft Verse or Turner or one of the WRs (we wouldn't have Addison).

We all know the ideal is having a one-year overlap between veteran and rookie. I think as soon as we failed to move up for a QB last spring, we should've extended Cousins to ensure the overlap. It would've been a helluva lot cheaper and the Atlanta threat doesn't exist. 

Still, the Vikings without Cousins, and likely Harry, will be one of the younger teams in the NFL, and they have a shit ton of money to spend. We just have to get lucky on the QB we take in the draft. If we do, we have a young franchise QB throwing to the best weapons in the NFL, along with a young, emerging defense. But I don't like the odds of landing a franchise QB at the craps table.  

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Sam Darnold $10m
Aaron Jones $7M
Blake Cashman $8.5m
Andrew Van Ginkel $10m
Jonathan Greenard $20m
Total $55.5
When you see the numbers like this, it is a little depressing as I do not see one impact player on that list, I think Kirk wins more games than this group together, but I do think they made the right choice.  I definitely would have rather signed Hunter or Wilkins than sign Greenard and Cashman who I think are both overpays and risky signings.  

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@AGRforever said:
@Havoc1649 said:
They could have signed Kirk and all those guys except Darnold - no problem at all.

They will already have to do cap gymnastics to get everyone to fit under the cap.  They had $32M to start FA.  I was actually on the sign Kirko ship but certainly not at the contract Atlanta gave him. 
That cap number for this is meaningless. We are eating like $28 million on Kirk’s last contract that KAM decided to push out. His actual difference would have been about $10 million over that or even less depending on structure. Hell they could have structured it at $28 million and Kirk would have not changed the cap at all. They have a massive amount of cap next year that they could have easily spread these contracts into. 

Cousins was easily affordable and so were the rest of those guys. KAM didn’t want to give anything more than one year contracts so he could get rid of Kirk and his contract quickly if they get a good enough rookie. 

For stupidly obvious reasons, Kirk, like every other person with a functional brain and kids at home, wasn’t down with being immediately expendable. Shocking. 

The Vikings moved on because they think the grass is greener with youth. They didn’t want to commit. That is why Sam Darnold is our new starting QB, not the cap. 
He was "NOT" easily affordable with that contract. lol  I guess if you didn't want to surround him with a decent team, he was quite affordable, but I digress..

I don’t think there would be much of a problem with
resigning Cousins as much as the plan is clearly to find that next young stud at
QB, and Cousins wanted to get the most amount of years guaranteed and those two
desires/plans just don’t mix.  I also
think that his age factors into the equation. 
I think Kwesi wants to avoid overpaying on the backend of a contract
that is too long, like he doesn’t want to pay you way too much after you’ve
fallen off the cliff and he’s willing to say no a year early to avoid holding
on too long.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@kmillard said:
@StickyBun said:
@Havoc1649 said:
The Vikings have $153,000,000 in cap space next year before the cap rises and large old contracts like Harry’s still on the books that can be removed. 

It will take no “cap gymnastics”. I could sign all those guys, Kirk, JJ and eventually our LT without issue. 

The cap played no role in the Cousins decision. It was all about Kwesi beung able to dump Cousins and his contract as soon as a viable young guy was on the roster. Cousins didn’t want to play that game. Now we have Sam Darnold and a crap load of cap space.
Not for the contract Atlanta offered. You seem to keep skipping that part. Atlanta is close to where Minnesota was when they originally signed Cousins: a good team who feels a QB is the last domino. Where did that get Minnesota? I applaud the effort. JJ is going to break the bank and so is Darrisaw. 
You are hitting it out of the park today Sticky! 
lol, I'm feeling all the range of fan sentiments today. Good stuff from everyone. I love Kirk, but also understand the situation. We all deserve to be pleasantly surprised as Viking's fans......but I won't hold my breath.  :p
Change makes life interesting.  We got plenty this week.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:

And if we hit on a QBOTF in the draft you have

QBOTF (Maye, Daniels, McCarthy)
League's best WR
League's top 3 duo of WR
Top 3 TE
Top 5 LT and top 5 RT
10-15th ranked defense

AND A FUCKTON OF MONEY TO FILL ANY GAPS

That's how you re-load

Quote: @minny65 said:
@AGRforever said:
These are average figures per year not the real contracts which are most likely weighted into future years.  Especially Geenard's contract.  We could have resigned Kirko at $45M/yr and Danielle Hunter for somewhere in the $25M/yr range or

Sam Darnold $10m
Aaron Jones $7M

Blake Cashman $8.5m

Andrew Van Ginkel $10m

Jonathan Greenard $20m
Total $55.5

Kirk walked out the door yesterday with 150 million in his pocket.  I don't think we could or should have competed with that.  Everyone also assumes his Achilles injury is no big deal.  Time will tell but I think we cut our losses at the right time on Kirk.  
Yes, achilles never snap again right Cam Akers???  He's 36 and will be playing on turf the rest of his career, throwing off that plant leg.  For the last two years we have seen his passing seem a little less accurate, a little later waiting for guys to get open.  If that achilles bothers him, it's going to be a nightmare for a guy who doesn't sling it but thinks it.  Analytical and late balls equal picks.  We saw that this year on multiple occasions.  

Good lord, you could sink your whole franchise for 3-4 years if he snaps that thing again.