Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Cousins be resigned? (SPOILER ALERT.... NO!)
Quote: @comet52 said:
@bigbone62 said:
"I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

The irony of this premise is fans and pundits alike were shitting on the idea of spending that much on KC last offseason.  Had Kwesi done that deal, a deal that people were lauding as bad to begin with, and then KC had his injury he would have been destroyed. And now here we are with the benefit of hindsight saying Kwesi should have done that deal. In other words damned if you do damned if you dont.
Thing is, KAM/KOC have given lots of interview s where they say oh yes we want him back.  But then the caveats always start.  It's never we want Kirk and that's our goal, we're working our butts off to make it happen end of story.  Always there are a bunch of "buts" added on by both guys.  

It could just be their natural tendency to spout shit, something they both excel at.  But maybe it's just the reality that they don't care that much about getting him back, they may actually be excited about a new direction.  Early on in the regime the answers were a little different.  There wasn't a contract question at the time so it didn't go that direction.  But they both gave similar caveats.  We like the guy, but...   It was clear they had issues with him of some sort.  And/or they were long-term planning to ditch him.

But I honestly think these guys want to draft and develop a star qb and build this franchise the way they envisioned, not just run back the old .500 Rick regime over and over, and this is the year with the best opportunity they might ever get.   As lazy as the Wilfs are at moving on from failure to succeed, KOC/KAM can't necessarily bank on that and figure they'll have jobs for as long as they like without any real achievement.
In other words KAM was doing what every GM in sports does with a pending free agent of this caliber that they want back but dependent on terms. This is some pretty entry level negotiation tactics everyone does that you're talking up as KAM somehow shitting his pants 

When you go to buy a new car do you step on lot and approach each sales person to tell them how desperately you want one car and that you can't get it elsewhere? Or do you make it clear you're very interested in a deal but that this dealership ain't the only fish in the sea? 

[Image: jnooyyh0kmmt.jpg]

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@comet52 said:
@bigbone62 said:
"I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

The irony of this premise is fans and pundits alike were shitting on the idea of spending that much on KC last offseason.  Had Kwesi done that deal, a deal that people were lauding as bad to begin with, and then KC had his injury he would have been destroyed. And now here we are with the benefit of hindsight saying Kwesi should have done that deal. In other words damned if you do damned if you dont.
Thing is, KAM/KOC have given lots of interview s where they say oh yes we want him back.  But then the caveats always start.  It's never we want Kirk and that's our goal, we're working our butts off to make it happen end of story.  Always there are a bunch of "buts" added on by both guys.  

It could just be their natural tendency to spout shit, something they both excel at.  But maybe it's just the reality that they don't care that much about getting him back, they may actually be excited about a new direction.  Early on in the regime the answers were a little different.  There wasn't a contract question at the time so it didn't go that direction.  But they both gave similar caveats.  We like the guy, but...   It was clear they had issues with him of some sort.  And/or they were long-term planning to ditch him.

But I honestly think these guys want to draft and develop a star qb and build this franchise the way they envisioned, not just run back the old .500 Rick regime over and over, and this is the year with the best opportunity they might ever get.   As lazy as the Wilfs are at moving on from failure to succeed, KOC/KAM can't necessarily bank on that and figure they'll have jobs for as long as they like without any real achievement.
In other words KAM was doing what every GM in sports does with a pending free agent of this caliber that they want back but dependent on terms. This is some pretty entry level negotiation tactics everyone does that you're talking up as KAM somehow shitting his pants 

When you go to buy a new car do you step on lot and approach each sales person to tell them how desperately you want one car and that you can't get it elsewhere? Or do you make it clear you're very interested in a deal but that this dealership ain't the only fish in the sea? 

Good post. Questioning KAM? Sure, I get it. Just doing mental gymnastics to bag on the guy for everything? Just a goofy narrative. I summarily dismiss that crap the second I read it. 

Starting to see quite a few players on other teams get re-signed. Now or never, Vikes. Whatchya gonna do?

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Starting to see quite a few players on other teams get re-signed. Now or never, Vikes. Whatchya gonna do?

They've only made a decision on 1 player that I know of and that was to cut Mattison.  They have 25 other FAs.  Thats a ton of turnover if they don't get after it here.  I think all of them saw playing time.  Several starters. 

I would have to think that it means they're working on Kirk and/or Hunter to figure out whats left.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@pattersaur said:

They've only made a decision on 1 player that I know of and that was to cut Mattison.  They have 25 other FAs.  Thats a ton of turnover if they don't get after it here.  I think all of them saw playing time.  Several starters. 

I would have to think that it means they're working on Kirk and/or Hunter to figure out whats left.
Agreed you gotta have one of them in place to figure out what you have to work with 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@comet52 said:
@bigbone62 said:

You put a really strange spin on what I said.   I never implied that KAM is "shitting his pants", just that the notion that he really wants Kirk back may be completely false.  I get that most on here want Kirk back - they would in fact tell that car salesman that only Kirk will do.  Personally I think he is an Atlanta Falcon next year and we will be better off as a result. 

I disagree with most takes here. 

First, I don’t see KOC as attached to Kwesi at all, not even a little bit. Kwesi is responsible for the roster. He’s responsible for the dumpster fire that was 2022 round 1. 

Cousins contract should have been done last year. I don’t think his injury would have had freaking out. We’d simply be waiting for progress reports and discussing drafting his successor this draft. Not signing him showed me fear, not logic. It wasn’t a diffuclt decision and still isn’t. 

The liklihood KAM will get a better deal with Cousins after free agency is zero. His best time was a month ago. Cousins is already hearing numbers and they are going up, not down. He took an undervalued contract on his last one. He likely wants to know he won’t be dumped after a year which should be of no shock to anyone after KAM played this game last time. At his age, he just wants to be where he’s wanted and has some peace knowing his situation going forward. Anyone in his position would want exactly the same thing. 

Unless he can swing Russ Wilson and he plays well, this will be a massive failure on Kwesi’s part. The Wilf’s love Cousins and I wouldn’t be surprised if this puts KAM on the hot seat. It will be a spot he has earned. 

The fact that the team is facing a huge dead cap hit was created by Kwesi. I thought it was stupid at the time and still do. 

Cousins should already be signed and that position clear. It was number one priority for anyone who knows what they are doing. Draft a rookie in 1 and he also represents your go to if Cousins gets hurt. That rookie is on a rookie contract. This is the most important position on your tream by far. 

In my opinion, it’s pretty obvious KAM has done s poor job. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
I disagree with most takes here. 

First, I don’t see KOC as attached to Kwesi at all, not even a little bit. Kwesi is responsible for the roster. He’s responsible for the dumpster fire that was 2022 round 1. 

Cousins contract should have been done last year. I don’t think his injury would have had freaking out. We’d simply be waiting for progress reports and discussing drafting his successor this draft. Not signing him showed me fear, not logic. It wasn’t a diffuclt decision and still isn’t. 

The liklihood KAM will get a better deal with Cousins after free agency is zero. His best time was a month ago. Cousins is already hearing numbers and they are going up, not down. He took an undervalued contract on his last one. He likely wants to know he won’t be dumped after a year which should be of no shock to anyone after KAM played this game last time. At his age, he just wants to be where he’s wanted and has some peace knowing his situation going forward. Anyone in his position would want exactly the same thing. 

Unless he can swing Russ Wilson and he plays well, this will be a massive failure on Kwesi’s part. The Wilf’s love Cousins and I wouldn’t be surprised if this puts KAM on the hot seat. It will be a spot he has earned. 

The fact that the team is facing a huge dead cap hit was created by Kwesi. I thought it was stupid at the time and still do. 

Cousins should already be signed and that position clear. It was number one priority for anyone who knows what they are doing. Draft a rookie in 1 and he also represents your go to if Cousins gets hurt. That rookie is on a rookie contract. This is the most important position on your tream by far. 

In my opinion, it’s pretty obvious KAM has done s poor job. 
Unless this was the plan all along. We will know very soon.

Now that the rumor mill is truly chugging into weirdsville, I still think he'll be back...just because the whackos betting on the situation have Fields leading the odds as our starting QB next season.

Fields. Really?

The more bizarre the talk gets, the less of it is from the principals involved...so...if it ain't from Kirk, KAM, the Vikings, etc...I can't take much of it seriously.