Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Cousins be resigned? (SPOILER ALERT.... NO!)
There are a lot of people who seem to know a lot about what is going on. Most of it is speculation!
It appeared Kwesi was making moves that indicated a move away from Cousins last year. There is some chance it was something the Wilf's were in favor of as much as Kwesi being rigid or frugal. But that's just speculation as well.
Good thing is we shall know very soon.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Should they? Yes. Will they? I'm leaning towards no. 
If they should then why don't they?  Why didn't they last year when it would have been easier - no injury question (although noted physician Doctor Maroonbells tells me it's of no concern :p), no free agency competition, etc.

If it's the right move why won't they do it?  Just another Kwesi mistake?  Are they really going to blow this great opportunity over nitpicky contract details?  

Fyi, odds at DK pre-combine were around 75% Kirk returns to the Vikings.  Post-combine they have flipped to 60% he becomes a Falcon.
Because Kwesi has a rigid, specific financial vision for the team that does not include veteran QB money on the books in 2026.  And yes, I think this is a mistake. 

Maybe it's just Kwesi's way of slowly and softly dumping Kirk while making it look like it's Kirk's decision.   Kinda going the same route with Hunter imo.
Oh I think they truly want KC back, but it has to work within the plan fiscally. I dont think there is any vindictiveness to it.

I do agree with others that  KAM is probably being too rigid. He'll look like shit if KC has a great season in ATL while we struggle at bridge or with a rook that flames out 

I have no idea how they'll stack the QB board, but if they have conviction over what we deem one of the top 4? They are going to have to find a partner to trade with, cause he wont last till 11. 

He won't just look like shit. He could be fired. I think the odds are high that if Cousins goes to Atlanta, he's going to play very well for them. They don't have our WRs, but they have everything else. Then the Vikings are left with the brutally poor odds of trying to find a comparable replacement in the draft. Could happen, but odds say it won't. 

I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

In retrospect that might be true.

Not too mention that by re-signing KC, they give themselves so much more freedom in the draft for an Edge with their #1 pick. 

They lose Cousins and everyone and their brother knows what the Vikings want to do and moving-up will be that much tougher (and expensive). 

This is part of the reason I think the Vikings will trade up immediately upon Cousins signing elsewhere, ala the 49ers with Lance. The longer they wait, the more expensive it will get. Plus, it would help the Vikings in free agency if they knew they would be able to secure one of the top QBs. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Should they? Yes. Will they? I'm leaning towards no. 
If they should then why don't they?  Why didn't they last year when it would have been easier - no injury question (although noted physician Doctor Maroonbells tells me it's of no concern :p), no free agency competition, etc.

If it's the right move why won't they do it?  Just another Kwesi mistake?  Are they really going to blow this great opportunity over nitpicky contract details?  

Fyi, odds at DK pre-combine were around 75% Kirk returns to the Vikings.  Post-combine they have flipped to 60% he becomes a Falcon.
Because Kwesi has a rigid, specific financial vision for the team that does not include veteran QB money on the books in 2026.  And yes, I think this is a mistake. 

Maybe it's just Kwesi's way of slowly and softly dumping Kirk while making it look like it's Kirk's decision.   Kinda going the same route with Hunter imo.
Oh I think they truly want KC back, but it has to work within the plan fiscally. I dont think there is any vindictiveness to it.

I do agree with others that  KAM is probably being too rigid. He'll look like shit if KC has a great season in ATL while we struggle at bridge or with a rook that flames out 

I have no idea how they'll stack the QB board, but if they have conviction over what we deem one of the top 4? They are going to have to find a partner to trade with, cause he wont last till 11. 

He won't just look like shit. He could be fired. I think the odds are high that if Cousins goes to Atlanta, he's going to play very well for them. They don't have our WRs, but they have everything else. Then the Vikings are left with the brutally poor odds of trying to find a comparable replacement in the draft. Could happen, but odds say it won't. 

I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

Sure & if Kwesi had signed him last year to that 3 year contract & then Kirko tore that achilles, the fans would've been storming Eagan with pitchforks.

Tick tock.....

"If the #Vikings don't sign Kirk Cousins before March 13, they'll incur $28.5M in dead money from previous restructures on their 2024 salary cap. "

"I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

The irony of this premise is fans and pundits alike were shitting on the idea of spending that much on KC last offseason.  Had Kwesi done that deal, a deal that people were lauding as bad to begin with, and then KC had his injury he would have been destroyed. And now here we are with the benefit of hindsight saying Kwesi should have done that deal. In other words damned if you do damned if you dont.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
"I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

The irony of this premise is fans and pundits alike were shitting on the idea of spending that much on KC last offseason.  Had Kwesi done that deal, a deal that people were lauding as bad to begin with, and then KC had his injury he would have been destroyed. And now here we are with the benefit of hindsight saying Kwesi should have done that deal. In other words damned if you do damned if you dont.
Of course. One things fans are loathe to do is admit mistakes. They like to rant, rave and never look in the rearview mirror on past 'takes'. 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:

Thing is, KAM/KOC have given lots of interview s where they say oh yes we want him back.  But then the caveats always start.  It's never we want Kirk and that's our goal, we're working our butts off to make it happen end of story.  Always there are a bunch of "buts" added on by both guys.  

It could just be their natural tendency to spout shit, something they both excel at.  But maybe it's just the reality that they don't care that much about getting him back, they may actually be excited about a new direction.  Early on in the regime the answers were a little different.  There wasn't a contract question at the time so it didn't go that direction.  But they both gave similar caveats.  We like the guy, but...   It was clear they had issues with him of some sort.  And/or they were long-term planning to ditch him.

But I honestly think these guys want to draft and develop a star qb and build this franchise the way they envisioned, not just run back the old .500 Rick regime over and over, and this is the year with the best opportunity they might ever get.   As lazy as the Wilfs are at moving on from failure to succeed, KOC/KAM can't necessarily bank on that and figure they'll have jobs for as long as they like without any real achievement.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@bigbone62 said:

Thing is, KAM/KOC have given lots of interview s where they say oh yes we want him back.  But then the caveats always start.  It's never we want Kirk and that's our goal, we're working our butts off to make it happen end of story.  Always there are a bunch of "buts" added on by both guys.  

It could just be their natural tendency to spout shit, something they both excel at.  But maybe it's just the reality that they don't care that much about getting him back, they may actually be excited about a new direction.  Early on in the regime the answers were a little different.  There wasn't a contract question at the time so it didn't go that direction.  But they both gave similar caveats.  We like the guy, but...   It was clear they had issues with him of some sort.  And/or they were long-term planning to ditch him.

But I honestly think these guys want to draft and develop a star qb and build this franchise the way they envisioned, not just run back the old .500 Rick regime over and over, and this is the year with the best opportunity they might ever get.   As lazy as the Wilfs are at moving on from failure to succeed, KOC/KAM can't necessarily bank on that and figure they'll have jobs for as long as they like without any real achievement.
I don't know that I would lump Kevin O'Connell in with that.  Up until just recently, he was "I love Kirk, he was one of the main reasons I wanted to be the HC of the Minnesota Vikings, etc.". I think he genuinely loves Kirk the player, the leader, and is impressed with how he can run his offense.  However, the coaches don't get final say on re-signing guys, that's the front office folks.

I think Kwesi is in the same boat as Kevin (loves Kirk the player), but where they differ is Kwesi wants him back with the ability to get out of a deal earlier than Kirk wants.  I'm guessing the big hang up isn't dollars, it's the front office only wants to guarantee 1 or 2 years (or do 3 but remove the no trade clause) so it's more palatable to move on if/when they find a QBotF or Kirk starts hitting age related decline.

I'm guessing Kevin has realized the Vikings front office isn't budging and it's not a guarantee that Kirk is back.  We'll see if either side caves but I'm 99% sure Kevin O'Connell would do jumping jacks and cartwheels around US Bank if Kirk is back in purple.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@comet52 said:
@bigbone62 said:

I don't know that I would lump Kevin O'Connell in with that.  Up until just recently, he was "I love Kirk, he was one of the main reasons I wanted to be the HC of the Minnesota Vikings, etc.". I think he genuinely loves Kirk the player, the leader, and is impressed with how he can run his offense.  However, the coaches don't get final say on re-signing guys, that's the front office folks.

I think Kwesi is in the same boat as Kevin (loves Kirk the player), but where they differ is Kwesi wants him back with the ability to get out of a deal earlier than Kirk wants.  I'm guessing the big hang up isn't dollars, it's the front office only wants to guarantee 1 or 2 years (or do 3 but remove the no trade clause) so it's more palatable to move on if/when they find a QBotF or Kirk starts hitting age related decline.

I'm guessing Kevin has realized the Vikings front office isn't budging and it's not a guarantee that Kirk is back.  We'll see if either side caves but I'm 99% sure Kevin O'Connell would do jumping jacks and cartwheels around US Bank if Kirk is back in purple.

Good take here, Wet. I think that's pretty accurate.