Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Cousins be resigned? (SPOILER ALERT.... NO!)
Who knows.  I think if
someone offers him an extra year guaranteed, he’s likely gone, because who’s
turning down an extra $35M?  If all he’s
getting is 2 year deals, I think it’s likely he stays with the Vikings.  I don’t think he’s switching teams to get
$38M per year over our $35M per year or whatever the numbers are.

Could you imagine if they signed him last year and then the injury, some people would have been going apeshit
[Image: l38w976qr1l3.gif]

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Should they? Yes. Will they? I'm leaning towards no. 
If they should then why don't they?  Why didn't they last year when it would have been easier - no injury question (although noted physician Doctor Maroonbells tells me it's of no concern :p), no free agency competition, etc.

If it's the right move why won't they do it?  Just another Kwesi mistake?  Are they really going to blow this great opportunity over nitpicky contract details?  

Fyi, odds at DK pre-combine were around 75% Kirk returns to the Vikings.  Post-combine they have flipped to 60% he becomes a Falcon.
Because Kwesi has a rigid, specific financial vision for the team that does not include veteran QB money on the books in 2026.  And yes, I think this is a mistake. 

Maybe it's just Kwesi's way of slowly and softly dumping Kirk while making it look like it's Kirk's decision.   Kinda going the same route with Hunter imo.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
If they should then why don't they?  Why didn't they last year when it would have been easier - no injury question (although noted physician Doctor Maroonbells tells me it's of no concern :p), no free agency competition, etc.

If it's the right move why won't they do it?  Just another Kwesi mistake?  Are they really going to blow this great opportunity over nitpicky contract details?  

Fyi, odds at DK pre-combine were around 75% Kirk returns to the Vikings.  Post-combine they have flipped to 60% he becomes a Falcon.
Because Kwesi has a rigid, specific financial vision for the team that does not include veteran QB money on the books in 2026.  And yes, I think this is a mistake. 

Maybe it's just Kwesi's way of slowly and softly dumping Kirk while making it look like it's Kirk's decision.   Kinda going the same route with Hunter imo.
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is how it will be spun. The truth is that the Vikings have the cap space, and the future headroom, to sign all of their free agents and then some. 

If Kirk signs elsewhere (which is at least a 50/50 possibility at this point)…there is VERY likely no competitive football in the Vikings future next year regardless of who they sign or draft at QB. I don’t care who they add in free agency at other positions…Unless a team has good/great QB play, they are destined to play meaningless football and be cannon fodder for real teams.  

How lucky they get in this draft will determine how long the team will continue to suck and whether or not the team will be looking for a new Coach and GM in the next couple years.

The literal balance of the Vikings franchise hinges on how this off season is handled.  

@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Oh I think they truly want KC back, but it has to work within the plan fiscally. I dont think there is any vindictiveness to it.

I do agree with others that  KAM is probably being too rigid. He'll look like shit if KC has a great season in ATL while we struggle at bridge or with a rook that flames out 

I have no idea how they'll stack the QB board, but if they have conviction over what we deem one of the top 4? They are going to have to find a partner to trade with, cause he wont last till 11. 

@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

It's hard say. He has family in Atlanta and the Falcons really want him. Like his whole career it seems like he always holds the cards. We may see what they offer next week and then see if KAM beats that offer.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Oh I think they truly want KC back, but it has to work within the plan fiscally. I dont think there is any vindictiveness to it.

I do agree with others that  KAM is probably being too rigid. He'll look like shit if KC has a great season in ATL while we struggle at bridge or with a rook that flames out 

I have no idea how they'll stack the QB board, but if they have conviction over what we deem one of the top 4? They are going to have to find a partner to trade with, cause he wont last till 11. 

He won't just look like shit. He could be fired. I think the odds are high that if Cousins goes to Atlanta, he's going to play very well for them. They don't have our WRs, but they have everything else. Then the Vikings are left with the brutally poor odds of trying to find a comparable replacement in the draft. Could happen, but odds say it won't. 

I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

He won't just look like shit. He could be fired. I think the odds are high that if Cousins goes to Atlanta, he's going to play very well for them. They don't have our WRs, but they have everything else. Then the Vikings are left with the brutally poor odds of trying to find a comparable replacement in the draft. Could happen, but odds say it won't. 

I read a tweet this morning I agree with: "Not signing Kirk to a 3 year contract at 35 per, when that’s what he wanted last season is the Kwesi mistake that no one is talking about."

In retrospect that might be true.

Not too mention that by re-signing KC, they give themselves so much more freedom in the draft for an Edge with their #1 pick. 

They lose Cousins and everyone and their brother knows what the Vikings want to do and moving-up will be that much tougher (and expensive). 

@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

There’s a lot of varying opinions on this.  It’s certainly not a consensus mistake and that’s why no one is talking about it even though like a lot of people are talking about it.  It’s very likely that the outcome of that scenario is them being fired after a couple of mediocre seasons and them never having taken a chance on a truly elite QB.