Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will DH end-up?
I think the odds are lower than Kirko that he comes back to the Vikings...

NE has a ton of $ now. He'd look pretty scary lined-up opposite Hutchinson. 

Edge is so valued, I think another team will blow him away with an offer. 

Good question. Hopefully in the AFC somewhere 

with our luck the lions

Bears

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-me...raft-picks

Vikings aren't gonna receive a pick when he walks.

Why didn't Kwesi trade him last season?

Makes no sense. The Vikings owe Lions a 3rd for Hock 

Quote: @Mattyman said:

Why wouldn't they if he signs a top money deal and the Vikings don't cancel it out with a signing of their own..which they would likely do.  Do you see another reason?

By the way,  I agree they should have dumped him if they weren't going to offer the kind of deal he wanted.  A 2nd or 3rd for sure this year would be better than maybe a 3rd or later next year.

I don't think we can lose both. If we do, then what the hell are we doing? The Vikings cleaned the cupboards last year and have a shit ton of cap space this year and even more next year. 

If the Vikings are unable to come to terms with Cousins, I think they pay Hunter and hit free agency hard to add more talent to the defense. We'll need to considering the picks we're going to give up to replace Cousins. 

Quote: @Mattyman said:

The Vikings and Lions swapped the Vikings' third round pick this year for the Lions' fourth round pick, in addition to the Vikings' second round pick last year for Hockenson.

As for Hunter, I believe the Vikings are eligible for draft compensation if he signs elsewhere. Whether they get a pick or not depends on who the Vikings sign. Same for Cousins.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@Mattyman said:

The Vikings and Lions swapped the Vikings' third round pick this year for the Lions' fourth round pick, in addition to the Vikings' second round pick last year for Hockenson.

As for Hunter, I believe the Vikings are eligible for draft compensation if he signs elsewhere. Whether they get a pick or not depends on who the Vikings sign. Same for Cousins.
Those picks are a year later, by then you should have addressed the loses that earned you those draft picks.  Also being a year later it's essentially a full round lower and with the comp picks being at the end of whatever round they are tendered is essentially already 1 round lower.   So even if we were to get a 3rd round comp pick, next year for losing, say Hunter,  it's really like trading him for a 5th round pick.....if you don't lose that comp pick due to your own free agency acquisitions. 

I know fans like to get excited for those free picks,  but teams are better off trading in season,  both the teams that are giving up said player ( reasons above),  as well as the teams receiving the player as he won't count against them then in terms of  compensatory potential,  which then could partially recoup them the picks that they surrendered for said player to begin with.

KAM needed to dump Hunter last fall if he wasn't prepared to meet his contract demands.  Guess we find out soon.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@Mattyman said:

Those picks are a year later, by then you should have addressed the loses that earned you those draft picks.  Also being a year later it's essentially a full round lower and with the comp picks being at the end of whatever round they are tendered is essentially already 1 round lower.   So even if we were to get a 3rd round comp pick, next year for losing, say Hunter,  it's really like trading him for a 5th round pick.....if you don't lose that comp pick due to your own free agency acquisitions. 

I know fans like to get excited for those free picks,  but teams are better off trading in season,  both the teams that are giving up said player ( reasons above),  as well as the teams receiving the player as he won't count against them then in terms of  compensatory potential,  which then could partially recoup them the picks that they surrendered for said player to begin with.

KAM needed to dump Hunter last fall if he wasn't prepared to meet his contract demands.  Guess we find out soon.
I have to agree.  The organization has mostly been run the way a sentimental fan would run it rather than as a strategic, long term goal-oriented business.  It never trades an older asset when there is still value, it waits until the value is gone then releases them.  I don't know if that has really changed under KAM.  Or maybe he was pushed to retain Hunter against his better judgement?   If they couldn't get Hunter on the deal they wanted last year then why would they think that now, when he can go and actually test the market,  would they be in a better position to make something happen than they were a year ago? 

Given his history of being upset over his contract, it doesn't seem like just saying "Well we'll keep him around for all of 2023 because he might get a few sacks, etc." made much sense.   Again, the only thing they do is use up every asset to try to "win now" (which they don't really succeed at anyway with one very poor playoff appearance in the last 4 years) before having to discard them for little/no return.