Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater contracts approaching a crossroad
Really glad to see Andrew Krammer join the Strib press corps...

MANKATO – The Vikings are working on a few more contract extensions, according to General Manager Rick Spielman, but Sam Bradford’s does not appear at this time to be one of them.Bradford, who passed for 3,877 yards and 20 touchdowns with five interceptions last season, is entering the final year of his contract. That timing means the Vikings are approaching a crossroads at quarterback with Bradford’s deal (and a potential franchise tag option in the back pocket) coming up alongside Teddy Bridgewater’s continued recovery.
The Vikings have not rushed to be locked in one way or another.
Bradford, 29, has said he would like to find a long-term home after playing his first seven seasons for three different teams.
He was traded to Minnesota a week before the 2016 regular-season opener and emerged efficient for a limited Vikings offense, setting the NFL completion percentage record (71.6 percent) but ranked just 18th in yards per pass.
Now he’ll again be playing for a new deal after a full offseason in the Vikings system, a familiar coordinator in Pat Shurmur and help from the front office in the additions of running backs Dalvin Cook and Latavius Murray along with left tackle Riley Reiff.
There’s no rush to make a decision at quarterback, according to Spielman.
“Those calls will come in time,” Spielman said. “I think we are very fortunate to have two quarterbacks like that on our roster. I know what Sam did was unbelievable for the circumstances.”
http://www.startribune.com/sam-bradford-...436858453/

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Really glad to see Andrew Krammer join the Strib press corps...

MANKATO – The Vikings are working on a few more contract extensions, according to General Manager Rick Spielman, but Sam Bradford’s does not appear at this time to be one of them.Bradford, who passed for 3,877 yards and 20 touchdowns with five interceptions last season, is entering the final year of his contract. That timing means the Vikings are approaching a crossroads at quarterback with Bradford’s deal (and a potential franchise tag option in the back pocket) coming up alongside Teddy Bridgewater’s continued recovery.
The Vikings have not rushed to be locked in one way or another.
Bradford, 29, has said he would like to find a long-term home after playing his first seven seasons for three different teams.
He was traded to Minnesota a week before the 2016 regular-season opener and emerged efficient for a limited Vikings offense, setting the NFL completion percentage record (71.6 percent) but ranked just 18th in yards per pass.
Now he’ll again be playing for a new deal after a full offseason in the Vikings system, a familiar coordinator in Pat Shurmur and help from the front office in the additions of running backs Dalvin Cook and Latavius Murray along with left tackle Riley Reiff.
There’s no rush to make a decision at quarterback, according to Spielman.
“Those calls will come in time,” Spielman said. “I think we are very fortunate to have two quarterbacks like that on our roster. I know what Sam did was unbelievable for the circumstances.”
http://www.startribune.com/sam-bradford-...436858453/

There's the money shot...we potentially have 2 pretty good options over the next couple years at the most important position in the sport...Teddy tolls, Bradford gets tagged...2018 will be very interesting regarding the next 5-8 years for the franchise going forward...if we miss on both, I'll personally grab Spielman by the scruff of his neck and toss him...

It's funny. Every time I talk about Teddy or feel that I'm choosing Sam over Teddy, I feel this innate need to pace my comments with "I love Teddy, but..."

Then, of course, I'm reminded of my Dad's 2nd favorite saying, "Everything before the word 'but' is bullshit."

So here goes...

I love Teddy, but he is a real unknown right now. He has that intangible 'it' factor that doesn't translate to stats, but you see it in games (GUMP). I know for certain that Bradford has an electric arm, can make every throw, and played pretty damned well given the circumstances.

In my mind, if this does come to a head, I feel a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. I will cheer for Teddy no matter what (except in the instance he's on the Packers, Bears, Lions, Cowboys, or Saints... in which case I cheer for him to break every NFL passing record while going 0-16), but I personally like Sam right now. 

sam shouldnt get the tag, unless Teddy has a setback. why pay QB 20 million guaranteed when its obvious you want the other guy to be your qb. 

now if teddy doesnt keep on the fast track in healing, and it cant be denied he is ahead of speculation. i saw all the posts acting like he couldnt possibly be close to ready for camp and the season. its weird how everyone down plays how much further along teddy appears than how a majority of armchair medical diagnoses viewed his potential comeback.

we all like one qb more than the other. i wont down play the quality play Sam had last year and gladly welcome similar play this year. but it would be nice if those who like Sam more could be honest and realize Teddy appears the teams desired QB and is more likely to take the reigns back from Sam, than Sam is to be able to improve play enough for the team (esp coach) to move away from the qb they want - Healthy (as can be) Teddy. 

Quote: @Vikeking2 said:
sam shouldnt get the tag, unless Teddy has a setback. why pay QB 20 million guaranteed when its obvious you want the other guy to be your qb. 

now if teddy doesnt keep on the fast track in healing, and it cant be denied he is ahead of speculation. i saw all the posts acting like he couldnt possibly be close to ready for camp and the season. its weird how everyone down plays how much further along teddy appears than how a majority of armchair medical diagnoses viewed his potential comeback.

we all like one qb more than the other. i wont down play the quality play Sam had last year and gladly welcome similar play this year. but it would be nice if those who like Sam more could be honest and realize Teddy appears the teams desired QB and is more likely to take the reigns back from Sam, than Sam is to be able to improve play enough for the team (esp coach) to move away from the qb they want - Healthy (as can be) Teddy. 
I would not doubt there are 2 camps within Winter Park, just like there is among fans. I think TB is certainly "loved" by many, but not all believe he's GUMP nor has he demonstrated a franchise qb ceiling yet. Certainly was promise though heading into last year. I had promise. Was crushed when he crumpled on a practice field. 

Probably not much more to say that's new. Not until something silly is said at a presser or something new transpires on the field. 

Time to let it play out...

So you can Trade him and get picks back.  That's why you Tag Bradford, if Teddy is the planned QB going forward.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Vikeking2 said:
So you can Trade him and get picks back.  That's why you Tag Bradford, if Teddy is the planned QB going forward.
Or because he's lead the team into the playoffs and improved to the point he's worthy of the commitment...

I think the nature of Teddy's injury being non-contact, should give pause to throwing completely in with him.  Can his health be trusted moving forward?  That's a big complication.  I'd feel better if someone had put a helmet on his knee - it would be much more understandable.

Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater contracts approaching a crossroad...
next year.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Vikeking2 said:
Or because he's lead the team into the playoffs and improved to the point he's worthy of the commitment...
I was responding to Vikeking, and also in the thought that the front office goes with Teddy.