Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will Kirk end up?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Here is what Florio had to say of Minnesota’s approach to the Cousins negotiation:
The Vikings are playing a dangerous game of chicken here if they want him. Maybe they don’t and they’re looking for a way to ease out of it. But if they want him, Zygi, Mark, Kevin, Kwesi, you’re going to blow it. You need to get it done now. You definitely need to get it done before Mike McCartney, his agent, goes to Indianapolis and has all the tampering meetings that we know are going to occur.
Because he’s going to come out of Indy knowing exactly what the Falcons will pay, exactly what anyone else will pay and it’s going to be too late. I guarantee you. You got 10 days, Vikings. You got 10 days. The clock is ticking. You got 10 days. If you wait, Kirk’s going to be gone. And if you don’t want him, that’s fine. But if you want him, you better get your asses moving.
That 10-day timeframe to get the deal done has now dwindled to just one week with the NFL scouting combine set to begin next Monday on February 26th. Cousins, who is coming off an Achilles injury in 2023, is set to enter free agency for the first time since signing with the Vikings back in 2018. Since then, he has ensured that he continuously has guaranteed contracts in place.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/opinion/nfl-analyst-vikings/
Florio speaks as if this is a one-sided negotiation. It's also possible that the Vikings are NOT sitting on their hands, have made their best offer, and Kirk just wants to see if another team is willing to offer more guaranteed or a longer term. I mean...isn't this possible as well? 
The Cousins free agency saga is the NFL story of the offseason. I still have to believe the Vikings have a hard line in the sand and Kirk probably gets a better offer from another team. 
Yep, I think so....at least about a hard line from the Vikings. 
We'll find out what Kirk is really all about and if he really is true to his word that he wants to be a Viking and would take less money to do so. Nothing about the way he has operated his entire career would lead me believe that there is any validity to that and you know there will be a team or two that come at him with bigger contract offers..

Quote: @pattersaur said:
 Kirk gives us the best shot to do that. I just wish the team wasn’t so under the barrel as it pertains to negotiations with Kirk. 
Again, rinse and repeat.  Even with a 36 yr old injured QB - No thanks!

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Here is what Florio had to say of Minnesota’s approach to the Cousins negotiation:
The Vikings are playing a dangerous game of chicken here if they want him. Maybe they don’t and they’re looking for a way to ease out of it. But if they want him, Zygi, Mark, Kevin, Kwesi, you’re going to blow it. You need to get it done now. You definitely need to get it done before Mike McCartney, his agent, goes to Indianapolis and has all the tampering meetings that we know are going to occur.
Because he’s going to come out of Indy knowing exactly what the Falcons will pay, exactly what anyone else will pay and it’s going to be too late. I guarantee you. You got 10 days, Vikings. You got 10 days. The clock is ticking. You got 10 days. If you wait, Kirk’s going to be gone. And if you don’t want him, that’s fine. But if you want him, you better get your asses moving.
That 10-day timeframe to get the deal done has now dwindled to just one week with the NFL scouting combine set to begin next Monday on February 26th. Cousins, who is coming off an Achilles injury in 2023, is set to enter free agency for the first time since signing with the Vikings back in 2018. Since then, he has ensured that he continuously has guaranteed contracts in place.

Florio speaks as if this is a one-sided negotiation. It's also possible that the Vikings are NOT sitting on their hands, have made their best offer, and Kirk just wants to see if another team is willing to offer more guaranteed or a longer term. I mean...isn't this possible as well? 
I'm just not sure how the Vikings all of a sudden sweeten their offer from last offseason when they couldn't come to an agreement on an extension with Kirk now another year older and coming off a major injury that might cause him to miss the start of the season. How do we go from not extending him last offseason to all of a sudden giving him a 3 year guaranteed big money deal based on the circumstances? 

The Cousins free agency saga is the NFL story of the offseason. I still have to believe the Vikings have a hard line in the sand and Kirk probably gets a better offer from another team. 
Agree, time for a new approach and chapter in Viking world.  

@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm just not sure how the Vikings all of a sudden sweeten their offer from last offseason when they couldn't come to an agreement on an extension with Kirk now another year older and coming off a major injury that might cause him to miss the start of the season. How do we go from not extending him last offseason to all of a sudden giving him a 3 year guaranteed big money deal based on the circumstances? 

The situation is different every year. The roster is different. We now have Addison, Pace, Flores and a pick in the top 11. None of which we had during the prior negotiation. The money is different. We no longer have Thielen, Cook, Peterson and Z. We also now have roughly $130M in cap space for 2025.

Kirk is different as well. Yes, he's a year older and recovering from an injury. Big factors to be sure. But one of the big questions last year was how would he look returning to the same offense for the first time in 7 seasons. We have the answer to that question now: REALLY FREAKING GOOD. So putting Kirk in that same offense for year three is very promising, and might be worth adding some flexibility to the financial vision. 

I think a rigid financial strategy that doesn't have flexibility to allow for changing facts is a big mistake. "A sign of intellect is the ability to change your mind in the face of new facts." --somebody smart.

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

We'll find out what Kirk is really all about and if he really is true to his word that he wants to be a Viking and would take less money to do so. Nothing about the way he has operated his entire career would lead me believe that there is any validity to that and you know there will be a team or two that come at him with bigger contract offers..
...except for the fact that this is exactly what he did the last time he was a free agent. 

If Kirko returns then drafting our QBOTF becomes even more of a priority. Because a Kirko led Vikings team will win more games resulting in lower draft positions. You have the perfect storm of a deep QB pool & the highest first round pick that we've had in a number of years. Time to pull the trigger.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

The situation is different every year. The roster is different. We now have Addison, Pace, Flores and a pick in the top 11. None of which we had during the prior negotiation. The money is different. We no longer have Thielen, Cook, Peterson and Z. We also now have roughly $130M in cap space for 2025.

Kirk is different as well. Yes, he's a year older and recovering from an injury. Big factors to be sure. But one of the big questions last year was how would he look returning to the same offense for the first time in 7 seasons. We have the answer to that question now: REALLY FREAKING GOOD. So putting Kirk in that same offense for year three is very promising, and might be worth adding some flexibility to the financial vision. 

I think a rigid financial strategy that doesn't have flexibility to allow for changing facts is a big mistake. "A sign of intellect is the ability to change your mind in the face of new facts." --somebody smart.

What I think is still the same though is the Vikings widely reported desire to land a long term answer at the position, preferably on a rookie deal. Unfortunately due to draft positioning we haven't been able to make that happen, which forces us back to the bargaining table with Kirk and his agent with money being kicked into dead years. I really think we want off this cycle which is why the hard line stance on an extension made sense last offseason, and likely the same this offseason 

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/-kirk-co...kings.html

Here is a link stating that Cousins turned down a bigger offer to become a Viking.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
If Kirko returns then drafting our QBOTF becomes even more of a priority. Because a Kirko led Vikings team will win more games resulting in lower draft positions. You have the perfect storm of a deep QB pool & the highest first round pick that we've had in a number of years. Time to pull the trigger.
why do you bring Kirk back,  but then not use every opportunity to improve the team around him?  IMO you are either all in with Kirk,  or all in with a rebuild,  the half assed approach of the last couple years sucks as it did little/nothing to address the core problems this team has been facing for a long time and that is the trenches.

Quote: @medaille said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/-kirk-co...kings.html

Here is a link stating that Cousins turned down a bigger offer to become a Viking.
The Cards also offered more than the Vikings.