Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So are we all in agreement now?
IMO if Purdy looked bad  and   the Niners failed to make the Super Bowl then Cousins to San Fran made  sense.

After looking at Purdy's performance this year I don't see that happening.

SF could win a SB with Purdy/

They were beaten by a better QB with a more experienced Coach, that knew how to win.

Impressive to watch.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
I don't know that I buy into him being an upper echelon quarterback yet, but he is surrounded by amazing talent and runs the system well. If he and Mahomes switched teams, Mahomes would absolutely be the goat and Purdy would be Kenny Pickett . I think that's more of who he really is as a QB..
The surrounding talent is very good. But he also left the field with his team leading more than once last night and thats a good Chiefs D. 

I give him more credit than just driving the Ferrari well. He makes some very good, NFL throws.  I think they are set with him for a while - even with contract #2 is settled. 
That 49ers offense is the best collective unit in football. Their offensive line was better the last couple years, but overall they are still very good. Best back in football, best left tackle in football, best trio of receivers in football, best FB in football, oh and Kittle is pretty good too. 

Just goes to show how good Mahomes is throwing to guys like Rice, Valdez-Scandling, and an underwhelming collective group. Offensive line took a major step back this year and Mahones was still able to turn it into a productive unit and took them the distance. Just goes to show, a franchise quarterback is the deodorant that covers up a lot of stink 
No doubt - look at all the warts Rogers covered-up all those years in GB. 

Did you know the Chiefs didnt have a 1000 yd WR this season? 

Back to Purdy, I can understand the argument of being content with Purdy @ QB if I was a 49'er fan. He's young and probably has some decent growth ahead of him @ QB.

They dont need elite to do well as a team, as your post (and this year underscores.) 

so,  with all that talent around him,  when the time comes do you look for the next game manager or do you pay him going QB rate and then start shedding talent at other positions?  This I think is the issue that gets many teams in trouble,  they look at good ( not great ) QBs and pay them top money because they had been successful driving the lambo,  but then find out it was mostly the car,  not the driver.
The team needs to have a good handle on what can the qb do in a given surround...IF Ayuk and Deebo leave and Purdy is left with Valdez Scandling and Joe Schmo at WR? The 49'ers need to know if Purdy can succeed with that or not - b4 it happens. 

I am not contending Purdy is elite. I am contending he is very good and that with the team they have, I would be fine with Purdy @ QB if I was a fan of the team. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
I don't know that I buy into him being an upper echelon quarterback yet, but he is surrounded by amazing talent and runs the system well. If he and Mahomes switched teams, Mahomes would absolutely be the goat and Purdy would be Kenny Pickett . I think that's more of who he really is as a QB..
The surrounding talent is very good. But he also left the field with his team leading more than once last night and thats a good Chiefs D. 

I give him more credit than just driving the Ferrari well. He makes some very good, NFL throws.  I think they are set with him for a while - even with contract #2 is settled. 
That 49ers offense is the best collective unit in football. Their offensive line was better the last couple years, but overall they are still very good. Best back in football, best left tackle in football, best trio of receivers in football, best FB in football, oh and Kittle is pretty good too. 

Just goes to show how good Mahomes is throwing to guys like Rice, Valdez-Scandling, and an underwhelming collective group. Offensive line took a major step back this year and Mahones was still able to turn it into a productive unit and took them the distance. Just goes to show, a franchise quarterback is the deodorant that covers up a lot of stink 

Back to Purdy, I can understand the argument of being content with Purdy @ QB if I was a 49'er fan. He's young and probably has some decent growth ahead of him @ QB.

They dont need elite to do well as a team, as your post (and this year underscores.) 

so,  with all that talent around him,  when the time comes do you look for the next game manager or do you pay him going QB rate and then start shedding talent at other positions?  This I think is the issue that gets many teams in trouble,  they look at good ( not great ) QBs and pay them top money because they had been successful driving the lambo,  but then find out it was mostly the car,  not the driver.
The team needs to have a good handle on what can the qb do in a given surround...IF Ayuk and Deebo leave and Purdy is left with Valdez Scandling and Joe Schmo at WR? The 49'ers need to know if Purdy can succeed with that or not - b4 it happens. 

I am not contending Purdy is elite. I am contending he is very good and that with the team they have, I would be fine with Purdy @ QB if I was a fan of the team. 
I'd rather have Purdy than Cousins for sure.  Especially when you think how good Purdy is already.  Cousins was nowhere near that good in his second season in the NFL.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

I'd rather have Purdy than Cousins for sure.  Especially when you think how good Purdy is already.  Cousins was nowhere near that good in his second season in the NFL.

You are very bold, correct, but bold.

I think he played a great game and the moment was definitely not too big for him and do agree they look to be set with him.

What I came away with from that game is that there is Patrick Mahomes and then the next tier is well below that.  I felt like I was watching Michael Jordan during his run with the Bulls, he is just at another level.  They don't have a WR that would crack our top 2 and their RB is a nice 3rd down back, he has an all pro TE, but not a lot of other weapons.  Put him on any other team and he instantly makes them a contender.  

@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

Breaking news, a second year QB on what was the second worst team in the NFL with a talent starved roster doesn't look as good as a second year QB on a historically stacked team that had the second best record. It's almost as if you can find a direct correlation between a teams talent, how a QB looks and how the team performs.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

Breaking news, a second year QB on what was the second worst team in the NFL with a talent starved roster doesn't look as good as a second year QB on a historically stacked team that had the second best record. It's almost as if you can find a direct correlation between a teams talent, how a QB looks and how the team performs.
That's crazy talk.  :p

@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

Everyone would take Purdy. Pretty good, 24-year-old QB on his rookie deal vs. an expensive 35-year-old recovering from a ruptured achilles? Purdy all day. 

But one season? One game I had to win? That would be Cousins. 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

Cousins wasn't even considered good enough to start on a crappy team until his 4th season.  Kirk is a good QB, but Purdy right now is already just as productive as the veteran KC. 
I'm not knocking Cousins, but Purdy is a very good QB.  If that 49er kicker doesn't get that XP blocked, it very well could've been Purdy holding up the Lombardi Trophy, not Mahomes.  Kirk in year two was nowhere near ready to lead any team to the playoffs, let alone take them to a SB.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

Everyone would take Purdy. Pretty good, 24-year-old QB on his rookie deal vs. an expensive 35-year-old recovering from a ruptured achilles? Purdy all day. 

But one season? One game I had to win? That would be Cousins. 
Yeah, but, what if it was a "Nationally" televised game? :p