Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinforcements have Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano excited for season
MANKATO – On a rare summer vacation with his wife, Jeanette, a few weeks ago, Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano failed at his goal of leaving work at work, too pleased, he said, to contain his excitement.
So, he gushed to Jeannette about his optimism for the team’s beleaguered offensive line, pleased both with the talent and work ethic of a revamped unit that will go a long way in determining how successful the Vikings are this season.
Perhaps more than anyone else, Jeanette was thrilled with the prospects of a strong offensive line.
“Because she has to ride home with me after games,” Sparano said with a smile.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/24/rei...or-season/

Well, I'll need to see it to believe it, but still its nice to see a positive story about the new line. I hope their toughness and grit improves this area of the team as Sparano mentions. Fingers crossed they stay healthy.

The one item I agree with - actually a few
- I can't see the team having the same volume of injuries as they had last year
- signed two FA's who are known as run blockers
- they are both known to be reliable and healthy rarely missing time

Im getting the impression that Zimmer is really getting engaged to other areas of the team that he never did before. Probably part of his "growing" into the HC job. The other units, i.e. the O Line, benefit greatly from his presence in meetings etc. Sounds like He is doing the same thing with the O line that he is doing with Sam B.  - for example, telling them what the D is looking at/thinking when they see our Offense lined up in certain formations - letting them understand how the D will attack them.

Zimmer is realizing that he can't just spend all/most of his time with the Defense. The Offense can benefit greatly from his vast knowledge of how D's will attack an Offense. Our HC is growing into his position!  

Minnesota Vikings‏Verified account @Vikings  5m5 minutes ago
More
"I've been impressed by Danny the whole time he's been here... I've got a lot of hope for him." - Coach Zimmer on @DANNY__63
0 replies1 retweet5 likes

Quote: @StickyBun said:
More
"I've been impressed by Danny the whole time he's been here... I've got a lot of hope for him." - Coach Zimmer on @DANNY__63
I am very excited about this kid too, if he works hard and makes it as a starter, we could have a great OL 

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
@StickyBun said:
More
I am very excited about this kid too, if he works hard and makes it as a starter, we could have a great OL 
Agreed. He's built like a NFL OG should be: shorter, big trunk bubble and lower body. Dense. Thick. Strong hands. Lower center of gravity. He does need some strength to anchor better, but that's NFL 101 with strength training. 

I didn't want to get overly intrigued with the kid because he's a later round pick, but so far, so good. Fingers crossed Spielman plucked a later round gem.

Better lucky than good...Especially when you're not very good at drafting OL.

Considering they haven't been in pads yet, it's a pretty good sign that he's impressing already...