Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft: If it's not a QB..?
IMO (as of now), best case scenario for the Vikings in this draft is McCarthy dropping to our pick at #11 and sitting him behind Cousins for a year or two. Anything after that is gravy. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
IMO (as of now), best case scenario for the Vikings in this draft is McCarthy dropping to our pick at #11 and sitting him behind Cousins for a year or two. Anything after that is gravy. 
I think McCarthy is viewed as Tier 2, he could be there toward the end of round 1 possibly. I like your scenario, the only thing better (but very risky) is take the top DE/Edge guy at #11 and then move up to end of round 1 for McCarthy. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
I think McCarthy is viewed as Tier 2, he could be there toward the end of round 1 possibly. I like your scenario, the only thing better (but very risky) is take the top DE/Edge guy at #11 and then move up to end of round 1 for McCarthy. 
If McCarthy is their guy... take him at 11 and be happy,  if we pass on QB at 11 ( or even not moving up ) it signals to the rest that they will have to get their guy ahead of us, and will likely trigger others to try and jump back into the first to get McCarthy if he is there.  If you feel a DE is in need,  take the QB first,  then go get that DE by trading back into the first IMO.

I also think that if for some damn reason they dont want to go QB in the first,   target the best IOL that we can,  will likely be able to trade down a couple spots and pick up an extra pick,  but lets put a focus on protecting Kirk from the inside rushes that are  so easy against us when our OGs constantly have to help Bradbury on Dteam blocks.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
If it's edge I'd look at Jared Verse or Chop Robinson. I'm kind of disappointed in the DT crop as far as what we need (a true NT). Some like Newton out of IL as a 3 Tech., but he seems a bit short and slow.

WR is probably too high considering we already have JJ and Addison as a #2. 
Do we need a true NT? I'll grant you most 3-4 defenses have a big plugger in the middle, but the Vikings finished tied for 5th against the run. And in his first draft with the Vikings, Flores didn't draft one, selecting instead Jaquelin Roy who was more of a pass rusher. Plus, I think the team is much higher on our current nose, Harrison Phillips, than the fans are. 

There's still hope for Roy too, considering he was an upside pick, having started only one season at LSU, so I'm not overly concerned he didn't have much impact as a rookie.

Anyway, Johnny Newton can really get after the QB, and he's a pretty good run stopper as well. You can get 2-down NT's later in the draft. Right now, the consensus best NT, T'vondre Sweat, who goes 6-4, 362, is holding pretty consistently around the 40-60 range and the Vikings own the 42nd pick. 
speaking of NTs... did anybody else see what Vita Vea did to Kelsy on monday night?  I only watched a little of the game,  but damn did he have JK on roller skates,  it was like watching Bradbury in an eagles uniform.  Its no wonder after a game like that Kelsy is talking retirement.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@FLVike said:
Let's put ourselves in KAMs shoes. Do we really want to sign Cousins and risk missing the playoffs? Do we really want to take a risk on a 2nd or 3rd round QB? This will be year 3, what are we building? What are we showing to the ownership?Really there is only one option; sign Jefferson, pick a first round QB, go oline in 2nd round and perhaps 3rd round as well, be active in FA, and roll with it.
If they did with Mccarthy or the top 3 and Minshew I’d actually be really down for that. Especially if Atlanta or Pittsburgh gives Kirk $45M/yr for 3 yrs. I’m just not super confident that even with Kirk, we are as good as GB or DET next year. So now you’re targeting a run when Kirk is 37 and 38. If that’s the path then I’ll get behind it, but I’m having reservations that it’s the best road. 
It's not just Kirk's age that is a concern it is the injury.  Most players take a year or two to come back 90% and many don't come back at all from Achilles tear.

I would not give Kirk more than a 1year deal unless his market sucks and he has to give a big discount.  

But overall, for me, it is time for a new chapter and a 1st round QB.

I am eyeing up Jaylan Daniels right now if he falls to 4 (Cardinals) or 5 (Chargers).  Carpe Diem baby!  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
If McCarthy is their guy... take him at 11 and be happy,  
Yep, I'm not advocating passing on a QB that is Minnesota's guy. I was just offering a better best-case scenario. Getting a top D player AND their QB? Gold. But as I mentioned, super risky and it could blow up. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
If McCarthy is their guy... take him at 11 and be happy,  
Yep, I'm not advocating passing on a QB that is Minnesota's guy. I was just offering a better best-case scenario. Getting a top D player AND their QB? Gold. But as I mentioned, super risky and it could blow up. 
after our 2022 draft... I am not wanting KAM to even have a phone in the war room,  best case scenario for me is we target a QB that we think can make the jump,  and get him as soon as we are able.  Obviously if that guy has a late day 2 grade you might plays games,  but if hes a top 5 QB,  just get him where ever and move on.

@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
If it's edge I'd look at Jared Verse or Chop Robinson. I'm kind of disappointed in the DT crop as far as what we need (a true NT). Some like Newton out of IL as a 3 Tech., but he seems a bit short and slow.

Do we need a true NT? I'll grant you most 3-4 defenses have a big plugger in the middle, but the Vikings finished tied for 5th against the run. And in his first draft with the Vikings, Flores didn't draft one, selecting instead Jaquelin Roy who was more of a pass rusher. Plus, I think the team is much higher on our current nose, Harrison Phillips, than the fans are. 

There's still hope for Roy too, considering he was an upside pick, having started only one season at LSU, so I'm not overly concerned he didn't have much impact as a rookie.

Anyway, Johnny Newton can really get after the QB, and he's a pretty good run stopper as well. You can get 2-down NT's later in the draft. Right now, the consensus best NT, T'vondre Sweat, who goes 6-4, 362, is holding pretty consistently around the 40-60 range and the Vikings own the 42nd pick. 
speaking of NTs... did anybody else see what Vita Vea did to Kelsy on monday night?  I only watched a little of the game,  but damn did he have JK on roller skates,  it was like watching Bradbury in an eagles uniform.  Its no wonder after a game like that Kelsy is talking retirement.
Kelce is 36 years old. All centers struggle with Vea. Still, I'd bet Kelce has won his fair share of those matchups over the years. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:

Kelce is 36 years old. All centers struggle with Vea. Still, I'd bet Kelce has won his fair share of those matchups over the years. 
Kelce has been rumored to be retiring for the several years,  he has a date with Canton,  and yes he has shown that undersized OL can play in the game,  just wish we could have found one.

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:

Kelce has been rumored to be retiring for the several years,  he has a date with Canton,  and yes he has shown that undersized OL can play in the game,  just wish we could have found one.
Yeah, I wish Bradbury were better too. After playing so much better last season, I was hoping that his improvement would continue but it didn't. Still, like I said before, when Cousins went down, Bradbury was the only offensive linemen in the NFL to not allow a single pressure. He fell apart after that.