Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J. Harbough sends Thank You letter
Harbaugh was too scary for the Wilfs to handle.  

They wanted to be young and cool so they hired a handsome, young, offensive minded (yet never called the plays) coach from a team that was built unlike any other team ever.  They wanted approachable and nice, who could sell tickets

They didn't want a guy who was perceived as being tough at all.

Dumbest decision they have made as owners and one of the dumbest in franchise history

That's what it came down to.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:
Yeah, a great college coach always makes for a great pro coach. 
I know, I can only imagine what he would do in the NFL . . 

Maybe take a below average team and turn them into a monster to compete in NFCCG 2 out of 3 years, with a Super Bowl in between.
Makes ya wonder why they pushed him out in San Francisco. He said it himself. It wasn't his decision. Why? Why would the world's best-ever coach get pushed out? 
Look, I’m not going to deny that Harbaugh is a good coach. I think he is a good coach. I thought he’d be an exciting, albeit risky, hire for the Vikings two seasons ago. But let’s not pretend he's without flaws, or that Minnesota’s hiring of KOC over Harbaugh was some kind of epic blunder. 

Everyone loves the shiny object fresh off a championship. Whoever wins the Super Bowl becomes THE model for roster construction....until it changes the next year...and again the next. And right now, Harbaugh, fresh from a Natty, is the shiny object who could’ve delivered us from all evil, if only we had given him a chance. 

Nonsense. Let’s not forget that Harbaugh was fired in San Francisco and very nearly fired at Michigan in 2020. It took him 9 years to win a title, going 1-6 in bowl games until this year. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@bigbone62 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@bigbone62 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
I thought it was a mistake not hiring him. Would anybody trade KOC for him now?
You can probably thank Jim Stapleton for that set of circumstances.
Jim Stapleton is not and has never been a minority owner of the Vikings. That has been debunked. Stapleton was part of Reggie Fowlers team that bid on the Vikings. He would have been a member on the board of directors had the Reggie deal not fell through. He did then assist the Wilfs but was never given any offical role after they took ownership.  
Did I say insinuate anything about Stapleton's official position on the org. chart?
Lol then what does a guy who only briefly, and nearly 20 years ago, have to do with Harbaugh not being hired in MN two seasons ago? 
Who are you even talking about?

He was hired by the Detroit Tigers in 2001 as senior vice president of business affairs. He left that job and was hired by Reggie Fowler in 2004 to guide the franchise through the stadium seeking process. When Fowlers bid fell through Stapleton then served a similar role during the purchasing process with the Wilfs. Had the Fowler deal not fallen through Stapleton would have served on the board of directors. He had no role with the team once the Wilfs took over. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:

Maybe take a below average team and turn them into a monster to compete in NFCCG 2 out of 3 years, with a Super Bowl in between.
Makes ya wonder why they pushed him out in San Francisco. He said it himself. It wasn't his decision. Why? Why would the world's best-ever coach get pushed out? 
The 49ers were 6-10 the year before they hired Harbaugh. Harbaugh was 44-19 in San Francisco with two division titles and a Super Bowl appearance. Totally transformed that franchise, and did it quickly. He was pushed out because of a clash with then GM Trent Baalke and whispers of him jumping ship to Michigan every year. I think it was a mutual parting of ways but reads as he "was fired." As we know, when the GM and head coach don't see eye to eye and aren't on speaking terms...it's a problem 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:

Look, I’m not going to deny that Harbaugh is a good coach. I think he is a good coach. I thought he’d be an exciting, albeit risky, hire for the Vikings two seasons ago. But let’s not pretend he's without flaws, or that Minnesota’s hiring of KOC over Harbaugh was some kind of epic blunder. 

Everyone loves the shiny object fresh off a championship. Whoever wins the Super Bowl becomes THE model for roster construction....until it changes the next year...and again the next. And right now, Harbaugh, fresh from a Natty, is the shiny object who could’ve delivered us from all evil, if only we had given him a chance. 

Nonsense. Let’s not forget that Harbaugh was fired in San Francisco and very nearly fired at Michigan in 2020. It took him 9 years to win a title, going 1-6 in bowl games until this year. 

How many NFL teams have been beating down his door since he left the 49er's?  He can recruit the players he needs or wants in college and now can pay for the top players.  In the NFL he is at the mercy of the GM to get him the players within a salary cap.  A completely different game.

You would think as great of a coach, some think he is, that he would be in big demand for an NFL team and if he would be hired, hell just give them the Super Bowl trophy and skip the season.  The Harbaugh ship has sailed.

Quote: @Skodin said:
Harbaugh was too scary for the Wilfs to handle.  

They wanted to be young and cool so they hired a handsome, young, offensive minded (yet never called the plays) coach from a team that was built unlike any other team ever.  They wanted approachable and nice, who could sell tickets

They didn't want a guy who was perceived as being tough at all.

Dumbest decision they have made as owners and one of the dumbest in franchise history

That's what it came down to.
Not sure about that.  I would have to put the Hershel Walker trade as one of the worst followed by Denny Green's kneel down in the 1998 NFC Championship game, and the Mike Lynn deal with the Vikings that gave him 10% of the luxury suite revenue in the Metrodome.   That money would have gone to the Vikings but in turn they needed subsidies from the other teams.  Oh and Mike Lynn was the one who made the Walker trade.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:

The 49ers were 6-10 the year before they hired Harbaugh. Harbaugh was 44-19 in San Francisco with two division titles and a Super Bowl appearance. Totally transformed that franchise, and did it quickly. He was pushed out because of a clash with then GM Trent Baalke and whispers of him jumping ship to Michigan every year. I think it was a mutual parting of ways but reads as he "was fired." As we know, when the GM and head coach don't see eye to eye and aren't on speaking terms...it's a problem 
Baalke has a rep as a total dbag.  I don't get why fans are so terrified of a coach who actually wins everywhere he goes.  KOC was a total unknown who is showing us a lot of flaws right now.   His best skill is pumping hot gas at the presser after the game.

People here loved Mike Zimmer and he never won shit and was abrasive as hell.  How does Harbaugh get some higher level of Viking fan look-down-your-nose than that guy?

It's weird that fans ( and owners) of a franchise that hasn't done dick for 45 years are out on the guy who might have turned that around.  

Quote: @Greylock said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:

How many NFL teams have been beating down his door since he left the 49er's?  He can recruit the players he needs or wants in college and now can pay for the top players.  In the NFL he is at the mercy of the GM to get him the players within a salary cap.  A completely different game.

You would think as great of a coach, some think he is, that he would be in big demand for an NFL team and if he would be hired, hell just give them the Super Bowl trophy and skip the season.  The Harbaugh ship has sailed.
He will be in big demand by a number of teams if he leaves Michigan.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
@MaroonBells said:

Baalke has a rep as a total dbag.  I don't get why fans are so terrified of a coach who actually wins everywhere he goes.  KOC was a total unknown who is showing us a lot of flaws right now.   His best skill is pumping hot gas at the presser after the game.

People here loved Mike Zimmer and he never won shit and was abrasive as hell.  How does Harbaugh get some higher level of Viking fan look-down-your-nose than that guy?

It's weird that fans ( and owners) of a franchise that hasn't done dick for 45 years are out on the guy who might have turned that around.  
Exactly. You will always have those that will try to justify anything and everything the front office does, even when it was wrong 

I was intrigued w/ hiring Harbaugh until we didn’t, doubt we’re going to call him back, onward we must go…