Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears GM Ryan Poles won’t get to decide HC Matt Eberflus’ 2024 fate

Getting ugly in Chi Town. 

I can't see the Bears sticking with Justin Fields. But they won't give him away, either. 

[Image: iiitcmd28ntp.gif]

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Getting ugly in Chi Town. 
I hope they f this up...

Matt Eberflus will return to the Chicago Bears in 2024, Luke Getsy is out
Story by Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.  • 31m
Featured games of the Chicago Bears
[Image: AA1mL0TI.img?w=768&h=432&m=6&x=910&y=356&s=172&d=172]Matt Eberflus will return to the Chicago Bears in 2024, Luke Getsy is out© Photo by Todd Rosenberg/Getty Images
ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting that the Chicago Bears will keep head coach Matt Eberflus for the 2024 season, but per the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero, offensive coordinator Luke Getsy and quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko have been fired,
Update: Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer is reporting that the Bears have also fired wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert.
During his two years on the job, Eberflus’ Bears have gone 10-24 (.294), which leads only Abe Gibron (.274) and John Fox (.292) for the lowest winning percentage in team history.
His first year was a complete teardown of the franchise that ended with just three wins, but his team improved its win total in 2023 and ended up (7-10). There were three historic collapses and some inconsistent play in year two, but the four-game improvement and H.I.T.S culture were apparently enough for Chairman George McCaskey, Team President Kevin Warren, and General Manager Ryan Poles.
Getsy’s offense has been the most inconsistent thing on Eberflus’ staff during the 2024 season. Questionable gameplans, no in-game flow to his play calls, and failure to build around the talents of his players have all likely led to this decision to bring in a new offensive coordinator.
The Bears have an important decision to make regarding quarterback, with the two most likely outcomes being to run it back with Justin Fields or select a QB with their first overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.
This offseason will now see head coach Matt Eberflus replace both his offensive and defensive coordinators, plus several assistants.
Regardless if there’s a rookie quarterback drafted or if Fields returns for a fourth season, expectations should be that this team takes another step forward and has a winning record.

Getsy out in Chicago. Does this make it more or less likely they keep Fields? I've heard both sides.

On one hand, it may mean they put more of the blame on the coaches than the player, and so may stick with Fields. On the other, it means Justin Fields will be learning his 3rd offense in four seasons. Never a good thing for a QB. 

Getsy out in Chicago. Does this make it more or less likely they keep Fields? I've heard both sides.

On one hand, it may mean they put more of the blame on the coaches than the player, and so may stick with Fields. On the other, it means Justin Fields will be learning his 3rd offense in four seasons. Never a good thing for a QB. 
Like reading tea leaves when it comes to the Bears.  Hope they pass on QB's with both top 10 picks and leave us more options.  

Feel like it still leaves the decision in limbo. I tend to think they'll give Fields one more season unless they are absolutely convinced Williams/Maye/Daniels could be a top 5 QB in the NFL. If they trade back, even staying within the top 3 they can add Marvin Harrison Jr. or Nabers. Can add O-line or D-line at #9. Then will get even more future picks they could still use to leverage in a trade-up for a QB they identify if needed. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:

Feel like it still leaves the decision in limbo. I tend to think they'll give Fields one more season unless they are absolutely convinced Williams/Maye/Daniels could be a top 5 QB in the NFL. If they trade back, even staying within the top 3 they can add Marvin Harrison Jr. or Nabers. Can add O-line or D-line at #9. Then will get even more future picks they could still use to leverage in a trade-up for a QB they identify if needed. 
I'm not a big Justin Fields fan, but I think this decision for them is huge. If the Bears move on from Fields and take Caleb Williams, and then he either refuses to sign, or worse, busts, while Fields goes on to have a decent career elsewhere, the egg on their face will be legendary.

With that in mind, I can see them keeping Fields, trading back to 3 and taking MHJ. And of course that helps us a lot because it means one of the top 3 QBs now falls to 4, and Arizona is set to make a fortune from all the teams competing to trade up for the last blue-chip QB. The Vikings will almost certainly be one of them.