Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every 1st & 2nd round QB since 2000
Quote: @TBro said:
@VikingOracle said:
I think the analysis should be limited to the past decade because college football has changed a lot since 2000 and the QB coaching at the college level has greatly improved.  Think of Ponder, there are probably six or eight better prospects in this class alone.  You have much better data on college QBs now -- more passing snaps in more pro offenses.

This is what I would like to happen.  Vikes pick best defensive player, sign Cousins for two years and then trade their second to move up to #31-32 overall to take McCarthy (like they did with Bridgewater).
Unfortunately, I think every other QB needy team has the same strategy. Kwesi wasn't able to move up to get Richardson despite a trade proposal that included a boat load of picks and Hunter per Brett Kollmann. If McCarthy has a good offseason leading up to the draft, he could easily move up to the 15-20 range. Michigan's offense didn't showcase the QB so we really don't know what he can do. I think a slight trade back for the Vikings and grabbing the best of the 2nd tier QB's is more realistic if we can't move up to get Daniels.  
Yes, you could be spot on with that take. 

If they really covet one of the top 3? Then Zona or SD might be the only willing trade partners. Thats a big might too. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@VikingOracle said:
I think the analysis should be limited to the past decade because college football has changed a lot since 2000 and the QB coaching at the college level has greatly improved.  Think of Ponder, there are probably six or eight better prospects in this class alone.  You have much better data on college QBs now -- more passing snaps in more pro offenses.

This is what I would like to happen.  Vikes pick best defensive player, sign Cousins for two years and then trade their second to move up to #31-32 overall to take McCarthy (like they did with Bridgewater).
Unfortunately, I think every other QB needy team has the same strategy. Kwesi wasn't able to move up to get Richardson despite a trade proposal that included a boat load of picks and Hunter per Brett Kollmann. If McCarthy has a good offseason leading up to the draft, he could easily move up to the 15-20 range. Michigan's offense didn't showcase the QB so we really don't know what he can do. I think a slight trade back for the Vikings and grabbing the best of the 2nd tier QB's is more realistic if we can't move up to get Daniels.  
I think this is the ace in JJ's hole. Um, you know what I mean.

You look at the numbers and they don't scream 1st round pick. But the tools are there. And he's really young. You have to wonder what he might have looked like on a team whose offense wasn't so run-oriented, and whose defense wasn't the best in the league. He's 100% a projection pick. 

Did a big write up and the page reloaded and erased it all. Serves me right for not saving as I went. 
I started reviewing guys the past week and this is my current top 5

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Caleb Williams
3. Bo Nix
4. Penix Jr * (injury concern could drop him out of my top 5)
5. JJ McCarthy

In the tape I’ve watched thus far, The guy I’ve been least impressed with is Drake Maye. We’ll see if that changes, but as of now he’s a 2nd rounder in my opinion. Thought I’d make this comment since I see him mentioned so much.

As of now, I see 3 surefire first round picks. 
Other thought: Most underrated player in Nix and he’s a guy who could greatly benefit behind a guy like Cousins for a year or two. Caleb Williams has a monster arm (65 yard air TD throw in stride seen on film), and Jayden Daniels has great arm talent to go along with exceptional speed and running ability. 
I’ll update as I watch more film. 

so today i've seen the knock on Penix,  several times,  that he doesnt play real defenses because he is a pac12  QB,  yet nobody mentions that when talking about the success of Caleb Williams,  why is that?  they play basically the same teams every year,  in their SR seasons Penix rose to the challenge until last night, but Williams seemed to have a real problem at times this year.  Why is Williams still in conversation for a top pick,  but Penix drops after a bad game against the best team in the country?

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
Pro Bowlers denoted with an *
91 QBs, 7 Super Bowl champs (as a starter), 31 Pro Bowlers. Every one of them drafted with the expectation of being the QBOTF. 

Not so easy to find a franchise guy. Not saying they can’t, but the odds aren’t in the Vikings favor. 
Draft 1 QB, 34% chance of getting a Pro Bowler
Draft 2 QBs, 57% chance of getting a Pro Bowler
Draft 3 QBs, 71% chance of getting a Pro Bowler

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
Pro Bowlers denoted with an *
JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Patrick Ramsey
EJ Manual
Geno Smith*Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Jimmy Clausen
Vince Young*Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler*Kellen Clemens
Tarvaris Jackson
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Kenny Pickett
Matt Stafford*Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Pat White
Kyler Murray*Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Chad Pennington
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater*Derek Carr*Jimmy G
Trevor Lawrence*Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Mac Jones*
Kyle Trask
Jared Goff*Carson Wentz*Paxton Lynch
Christian Hackenburg
Cam Newton*Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton*Colin Kaepernick
Matt Ryan*
Joe FlaccoBrian Brohm
Chad Henne
Carson Palmer*Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
Mike Vick*Drew Brees*Quincy Carter
Marquis Tuiasosopo
Andrew Luck*RG3*Ryan Tannehill*Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiller
Alex Smith*Aaron Rodgers*Jason Campbell
Baker Mayfield 
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen*
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson*Mitch Trubisky*Pat Mahomes*Deshaun Watson*DeShone Kizer
Joe Burrow*Tua
Justin Herbert*
Jordan Love
Eli Manning*Phillip Rivers*Big Ben*J.P. Losman
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

91 QBs, 7 Super Bowl champs (as a starter), 31 Pro Bowlers. Every one of them drafted with the expectation of being the QBOTF. 

Not so easy to find a franchise guy. Not saying they can’t, but the odds aren’t in the Vikings favor. 
of course how skewed is that when you have the anomaly that is Tom Brady,  how often in NFL history will you find a 6th round draft pick win 1/3 of the superbowls in a 20 year period?  I find it highly unlikely for that to repeat itself as Tom seems to be the unicorn when it comes to leaving meat on the bone for the rest of the roster to feast on.  

Quote: @VikingOracle said:

Another Teddy or Mac jones is hard to get excited about. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
Did a big write up and the page reloaded and erased it all. Serves me right for not saving as I went. 
I started reviewing guys the past week and this is my current top 5

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Caleb Williams
3. Bo Nix
4. Penix Jr * (injury concern could drop him out of my top 5)
5. JJ McCarthy

In the tape I’ve watched thus far, The guy I’ve been least impressed with is Drake Maye. We’ll see if that changes, but as of now he’s a 2nd rounder in my opinion. Thought I’d make this comment since I see him mentioned so much.

As of now, I see 3 surefire first round picks. 
Other thought: Most underrated player in Nix and he’s a guy who could greatly benefit behind a guy like Cousins for a year or two. Caleb Williams has a monster arm (65 yard air TD throw in stride seen on film), and Jayden Daniels has great arm talent to go along with exceptional speed and running ability. 
I’ll update as I watch more film. 
When I first watched Maye I was underwhelmed a bit too. I think he's benefitting a little from his unquestionable similarities to Justin Herbert. He's that kind of prototype. He's a dual-threat QB, but he's not a particularly fast or elusive runner. And while he has a strong arm, I wouldn't put him on Herberts level, or even Will Levis. Still, no way I'd put him below Nix, Penix and McCarthy. He has the highest floor in this class IMO. 

Caleb Williams might be the best athlete I've ever seen at the QB position. His athletic instincts--vision, footwork, dazzle--are Harlem-Globetrotter-like. But I think if you try to make him fit into a pro-style pocket passing offense, you're making a mistake. 

Daniels is this year's Anthony Richardson...or Vince Young on the downside. A skinnier robo QB with tools for days. Boom or bust. 

I think draft season--Senior Bowl, combine, pro days, interviews--is going to have a lot to say about where the other three rank IMO.