Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Dunkirk, The Movie
I guess I will be going into a movie theatre this summer after all!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017

As a history teacher I've been waiting for this one....called the "miracle of Dunkirk"
330,000 men trapped between the advancing German army and the English Channel.

looking forward to seeing it

I love this story, can't wait to see the movie. Supposed to be really, REALLY well done, too. Can't wait. 

Going to see this tonight with my blushing bride.

For those that know... Wasn't the German attack effectively the first time we saw "shock & awe" in modern combat? The French preparing for an old style of war (trench warfare; a buddy tells me that French arrogance is at the heart of this entire story...), while the Germans used Panzers to punch through the French defenses, and pin the English to the beach... Meanwhile, the Germans had a halt order, because they outran their supply lines?

I'm a huge WWII movie fan, and an even bigger Christopher Nolan fan. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

The fact that Hitler used the war machine the world watched him build for 1/2 a decade should not have been surprising. The tactic of Blitzkrieg was new and (until he was simply outgunned and out armied by the Soviets) he pretty much was having his way. 

It's amazing how long it took for the US to formally get involved. Isolationism ruled the day, until the Japanese bloodied the Pacific Fleet at Pearl. 

I also have some real big problems with what the Allies didnt do knowing the camps were committing genocide.  Its scary to me how I can see some parallels between populism and isolationism in regards to the US role on the planet...But I'll save that pov for the ST board Smile

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The fact that Hitler used the war machine the world watched him build for 1/2 a decade should not have been surprising. The tactic of Blitzkrieg was new and (until he was simply outgunned and out armied by the Soviets) he pretty much was having his way. 

It's amazing how long it took for the US to formally get involved. Isolationism ruled the day, until the Japanese bloodied the Pacific Fleet at Pearl. 

I also have some real big problems with what the Allies didnt do knowing the camps were committing genocide.  Its scary to me how I can see some parallels between populism and isolationism in regards to the US role on the planet...But I'll save that pov for the ST board Smile
It really is shocking how long it took the Americans to get involved. I don't think a lot of people realize that. The war had been raging for 2 years and 3 months before Pearl Harbor forced our hand. France had been overrun. England had basically been kicked off of the continent. 2 years and 3 months. That's like the war starting when the earthquake happened in Nepal and America just now getting involved. 

In my opinion it was Hitler's arrogance that led to Germany's downfall. Thinking he could defeat the Russians in Stalingrad, thinking he could win a two-front war. He wasn't just an evil tyrant and mass murderer. He was also a pretty crappy commander in chief. 

Of course he would never say so publicly, as he despised America and often ridiculed our multiculturalism, but I've read some things that seem to suggest that, privately, Hitler was genuinely worried about America entering the war. He was right to be. 

Operation Barbarossa was his major downfall...

If he had defeated Britain and then went after Russia? He might have pulled it off.

Hell, his Panzer drivers were surveying the Moscow skyline from their binoculars. That's how close they came to pulling it off.

A dark, dark period in human history that was on the brink of tilting to where we may not have been able to win. 

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:

For those that know... Wasn't the German attack effectively the first time we saw "shock & awe" in modern combat? The French preparing for an old style of war (trench warfare; a buddy tells me that French arrogance is at the heart of this entire story...), while the Germans used Panzers to punch through the French defenses, and pin the English to the beach... Meanwhile, the Germans had a halt order, because they outran their supply lines?

I'm a huge WWII movie fan, and an even bigger Christopher Nolan fan. To say I'm excited is an understatement!
I'm eager to hear how you liked the movie. I hope to see it in the next week. The story of common fishermen and boat owners crossing the channel at the call of the British government should be wonderful. One of the rescuers was the former 2nd Officer of the Titanic, Charles Lightoller, who sailed his yacht across and back to rescue soldiers.

The French had built a series of stationary forts called the Maginot Line on their border, really marvelous - except that they could not move and their guns could not be pointed backwards (towards France), so they were useless when the Germans simply drove around them through Holland!

Question of curiosity: Any WWII vets on the board? Wonder how many of us are 1 or 2 generations removed, as so many are now gone. My Dad and a friend hitchhiked to Thunder Bay and joined the Canadian Army before Pearl Harbor - but my grandmother tracked him down and told the Canucks that he was only 15 (true) and got him discharged. His buddy remained, my father joined the USN a year later at age 16 (with Grandma's permission).

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Clanzomaelan said:

I'm eager to hear how you liked the movie. I hope to see it in the next week. The story of common fishermen and boat owners crossing the channel at the call of the British government should be wonderful. One of the rescuers was the former 2nd Officer of the Titanic, Charles Lightoller, who sailed his yacht across and back to rescue soldiers.

The French had built a series of stationary forts called the Maginot Line on their border, really marvelous - except that they could not move and their guns could not be pointed backwards (towards France), so they were useless when the Germans simply drove around them through Holland!

Question of curiosity: Any WWII vets on the board? Wonder how many of us are 1 or 2 generations removed, as so many are now gone. My Dad and a friend hitchhiked to Thunder Bay and joined the Canadian Army before Pearl Harbor - but my grandmother tracked him down and told the Canucks that he was only 15 (true) and got him discharged. His buddy remained, my father joined the USN a year later at age 16 (with Grandma's permission).
Yah, the hero generation is really old now. My FIL just passed away @ 89. He was a (very young at the time) veteran of the Pacific Theatre. Drove the amphibious ships that dropped the soldiers off on the beach. Never could get him to talk about it - and just stopped trying out of respect. 

Going in now... Will update after...