Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Bank Stadium getting new turf for 2024
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3916...njury-data

Its nice they can change turf styles every 3 or 4 years as necessary when upgrades or new data comes out. 

Turf has certainly come along way since the days of carpet over concrete in the Metrodome.

Quote: @Greylock said:
Turf has certainly come along way since the days of carpet over concrete in the Metrodome.
Its mind blowing that guys played on that surface, because that's exactly what it was back in the day. 

They used to have a package deal after the Twins games at the Metrodome that would include tickets to the game and allow a group to play on the field while they were cleaning the stands.  We did that once with friends.  I can tell you first hand that surface took a lot of getting used to because of the hardness of the turf.  It was literally playing on concrete.  I played a few different infield positions and the ground balls would  jump a foot higher and not slow down as you expected from normal turf.  I ended up with some pretty outstanding black and blue marks by the end of the night.

It's certainly come a long ways since Denny Green's era - thank goodness.

But I never liked the turf they put in to begin with. I was suspect of it day one in regards to non-contact injuries. Bengals/Colts will probably replace soon too. 

Glad new stuff is going in. 

I have walked on the field on multiple occasions and there is a give and spring to it but because of the criss cross nature of the fibers,  there is only so much movement there can be before there is resistance. It was also kind of interesting to see where the seams are. And wild to see the bits of pellets that fly up as you move on it. I have been on the field before and after games and obviously there is a noticeable difference. It is springy and firm at the same time. Then there are the panels that go under the turf to protect it. There is a lot going on there.