Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep Him, Please!
[Image: 2dgzq042dc05.jpg]

[Image: brinks-truck-cash.gif]

In some ways I think it's going to be harder to sign Hunter than it is Cousins. Hunters right at that age where he's going to want (and has earned) a long term contract. Probably 4 years. And his agent is going to use all of these numbers to lobby for top of market, which is also justified. 

At least with Cousins we could probably get away with a 2-year deal, and a discount considering the injury and Kirk's obvious desire to stay in Minny. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
In some ways I think it's going to be harder to sign Hunter than it is Cousins. Hunters right at that age where he's going to want (and has earned) a long term contract. Probably 4 years. And his agent is going to use all of these numbers to lobby for top of market, which is also justified. 

At least with Cousins we could probably get away with a 2-year deal, and a discount considering the injury and Kirk's obvious desire to stay in Minny.
Yeah. It's easy to picture Hunter having lots of suitors this offseason. He'd be crazy not to at least test FA unless the Vikings offer him absolutely buckoobucks.

DHunt has been unhappy with his contract twice in my memory, so it may already be decided. That said, I would pay him the money to keep him including making him the highest paid edge if needed.  TJ Watt and the dude in Cleveland are likely his only peers. 

I agree, the drawback that goes along with Cousins is the 29 million in dead cap that is already present.

Even if the Vikings split it into 2 years, that's still 15 mil that could've gone to getting more players.

Kwesi has had limited cap since he arrived. Last year he started the process by letting some veterans go

This season he's studied  his roster and knows where  improvement. is needed.

Entering year 3 I gotta think he's gonna want to make moves.

Whether that includes Cousins, Hunter, JJ, etc. no one knows.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@MaroonBells said:

I agree, the drawback that goes along with Cousins is the 29 million in dead cap that is already present.

Even if the Vikings split it into 2 years, that's still 15 mil that could've gone to getting more players.

Kwesi has had limited cap since he arrived. Last year he started the process by letting some veterans go

Yeah, dead cap is an issue not many are factoring in. If we let him sign elsewhere, it costs us $29M. That pretty much eliminates bringing in a "bridge" QB. 

So the Vikings QB in 2024 is either going to be Cousins, someone from our current roster (unlikely), or a rookie QB who's ready to go right away. In other words, a top 5 pick that we'll have to trade into. 

@Mattyman said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, dead cap is an issue not many are factoring in. If we let him sign elsewhere, it costs us $29M. That pretty much eliminates bringing in a "bridge" QB. 

So the Vikings QB in 2024 is either going to be Cousins, someone from our current roster (unlikely), or a rookie QB who's ready to go right away. In other words, a top 5 pick that we'll have to trade into. 
That 29 million comes off the cap regardless of who is at QB over the next 2 years.  Yes it would be a 2 year hit instead of 1 year if we extend Kirk,  but the money is gone regardless.  Its not like we get it back if we sign Kirk or he will somehow play for less since he is already hitting the cap pretty hard from his previous deal.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Mattyman said:
@MaroonBells said:

That 29 million comes off the cap regardless of who is at QB over the next 2 years.  Yes it would be a 2 year hit instead of 1 year if we extend Kirk,  but the money is gone regardless.  Its not like we get it back if we sign Kirk or he will somehow play for less since he is already hitting the cap pretty hard from his previous deal.
Right, but with an extension the Vikings have more flexibility, and can determine how and when the dead money hits the cap. Ideally the Vikings will have a starting QB on a rookie deal when the bulk of it accelerates. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Mattyman said:
@MaroonBells said:

Right, but with an extension the Vikings have more flexibility, and can determine how and when the dead money hits the cap. Ideally the Vikings will have a starting QB on a rookie deal when the bulk of it accelerates. 
its that mentality that got the team into the 29 million dollar mess they are in now.  ideally yes,  ideally we would already have 10 superbowls and a starting QB on a rookie deal,  but reality is,  we need to get off the cap kicking train,  the team isnt benefitting from that approach and if anything it is hurting the team because they are always "just good enough" without ever really being good enough.  I think we see what Kirk is willing to take,  and if he will come in at the mid to high 20s  very low 30s that a bridge type QB would sign for... then give him another year or two,  but if he wants top 10 starter money ( on top of his already existing cap hits ) then let him walk,  take the 29 million dollar hit this year and be done with it already.  This deal has to really work for the team,  not the bull shit like last time where he was such a good guy for taking "less" money,  when in reality it was just a lower cap hit due to the void years spreading the bonus into unplayed years.