Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is KOC naughty for being too nice?
Ty Chandler gives Vikings' running game needed boost play
EAGAN, Minn. -- Ty Chandler grew into a cult hero of Minnesota Vikings fans this season, long before he got a chance to be the team's lead running back. Like a backup quarterback behind a struggling starter, Chandler always seemed to profile as someone who might perform better.

The Vikings' brain trust, however, didn't agree. Despite some of the NFL's most anemic rushing numbers, and having seen for themselves his potential for explosiveness, coaches held Chandler in a supplemental role until they had no other realistic choice. His 132-yard performance in Saturday's 27-24 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, the Vikings' first 100-yard rushing game in more than a calendar year, was a reminder that sometimes decisions aren't hard as NFL teams make them.
"A lot of times you see more of the finished product [in the development of a player]," offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said, "and you say, 'Why wasn't he in right from the start?' There's been a lot of growth from when he first came in."
There's no doubt Chandler has made significant strides since the Vikings made him a fifth-round pick in 2022. But his winding road toward Saturday's performance, and the reality that it might not be enough to keep him in the starting lineup, provides an insightful window into the way the Vikings' coaching staff -- and coach Kevin O'Connell in particular -- has managed personnel in what has been a relatively convivial locker room during its 31-game tenure in Minnesota.
As a former NFL player himself, O'Connell was the victim of a quick and surprising judgment when the New England Patriots waived him one year after making him a third-round draft choice in 2008. Whether by coincidence or intent, O'Connell has taken a much different approach to decision-making.
Last season, for example, he was either unwilling or unable to impose significant changes on the failing scheme of defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, who said publicly players would eventually learn to execute it better, even as it led to a quick playoff exit. In 2023, O'Connell decided to keep quarterback Joshua Dobbs in the starting lineup after a four-interception game, even though his original backup, Nick Mullens , was available. In explaining that decision to the Fox broadcast crew that announced the Vikings' Week 14 game at Las Vegas, O'Connell said he wanted to give Dobbs the chance to correct mistakes that he hadn't received in other stops in his NFL career -- while also acknowledging that Dobbs essentially saved their season as an emergency acquisition.

But O'Connell's patience and loyalty has never been more evident than with the Vikings' running back position this season....

More at link...

I think its a combination of growth required by Chandler and KOC being 'loyal' to see if Mattison would produce. I think he'll learn that its all about productivity and the rest is wasted effort. Maybe he's learned that this year. 

The knock on Chandler wasn’t his running ability but his low
quality pass blocking.  Promoting
Chandler to starter over Mattison left the possibility for more pressure to get
to the QB.  Maybe we value helping our backup QBs by protecting them rather than by moving the chains on the ground?  I think the
author of the article should have addressed that aspect of playing running back
as well.  Questions they could have
answered:  Did Chandler have a productive
day pass blocking?  Did a failure in pass
blocking by one of our RBs lead to any of our turnovers?  Has Chandler performed better at pass
blocking in more recent games compared to earlier ones in the season?

Quote: @medaille said:
to the QB.  Maybe we value helping our backup QBs by protecting them rather than by moving the chains on the ground?  I think the
blocking by one of our RBs lead to any of our turnovers?  Has Chandler performed better at pass
"It has been part of his growth and process," O'Connell said. "As great as Ty was running the football [against the Bengals], there were some great moments in protection on some play-passes in protection where he solidified some things for us. He had great awareness of the looks we were playing against. ... I think Ty is exactly where we want him to be in his progression, and I think the role he is ascending to is something that we had our minds on when we brought him here, and we'll continue to everything to get him valuable touches and make him a big part of our offense."

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
"It has been part of his growth and process," O'Connell said. "As great as Ty was running the football [against the Bengals], there were some great moments in protection on some play-passes in protection where he solidified some things for us. He had great awareness of the looks we were playing against. ... I think Ty is exactly where we want him to be in his progression, and I think the role he is ascending to is something that we had our minds on when we brought him here, and we'll continue to everything to get him valuable touches and make him a big part of our offense."

He'll be RB1 for the team next year, which is nice to have solidified. He's right-sized at 5'11", 206 lbs. The guy ran a 4.38 at the Combine, he's plenty fast. I think Ty was about 6-8 months behind where the team wanted him to be mentally and he's finally caught up in that department.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think its a combination of growth required by Chandler and KOC being 'loyal' to see if Mattison would produce. I think he'll learn that its all about productivity and the rest is wasted effort. Maybe he's learned that this year. 

There is the cap investment as well.  Not making excuses for him, but you want your investments to pay off.

I wonder if Chandler would have gotten the opportunity he has had if Cam Akers had not gotten injured.

KOC can't get out of his own way.