Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think KOC is a very good HC
Quote: @pattersaur said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
The best HC in the NFL is about to be let go in New England.....is it because he can't coach? lol. That's rhetorical, its obvious he can. But also even a great football mind needs the conduit of a very good QB. The Vikings have started 4 different ones this year AND have a -6 turnover differential. That's the story of this season. 

Like I've said many times, watch the Redzone Channel and you'll see all kinds of 'curious' play calling. 
While I agree that he has been dealt a bad hand with the QB situation, I still have major concerns about his in game decision making. Who is going to hold him accountable for these head scratching decisions? Kwesi? It's not just play calling but also on the field personnel decisions and play design just like Warner pointed out. 

KOC seems only focused on the Offensive side of the ball which is also concerning. He let Donatell steer the ship into an Iceberg last year and sunk it. He did nothing to stop the bleeding when he should have been fired at the Bye Week and let Pettine take over for the rest of the year. Nothing has changed. Flores runs the defense and KOC runs the offense. When Flores leaves this offseason for a Head Coaching job, we will be back to square one praying that KOC can find a suitable replacement which will once again test his judgement which has come into question this year IMO and from several others in the Media. Even Flores was screaming at him to call a timeout instead of running a second boneheaded QB Sneak with a Center who has a history of back problems and a lack of lower body strength. KOC can't get out of his own way at times. Maybe it's been Cousins all along that has been making KOC look like a great offensive mind.  

I agree with all of you that he is a breath of fresh air compared to Zimmer and he is definitely a great culture builder but so is PJ Fleck. There are some eerily similar traits with these two. Both are struggling with in game decision making. 

Reckless Speculation: Brandon Staley will be our next Defensive Coordinator who was also KOC's coaching buddy with the Rams and strongly recommended he hire Donatell.  

The Flores situation feels critical, doesn’t it? The drop-off from him to Staley or whoever else we’d bring in seems like it will be substantial. I think @medaille is the one who’s been saying Flores’ status for next year is a big part of what direction we take in the offseason and I’m inclined to agree. This team, with Kirk back, could be very good in 2024. This team, with Kirk back, but no Flores and possibly no Hunter screams mediocrity to me. At that point moving on from Kirk may make more sense. It’s wild to put that much stock into one coach but Flo really has been that important. 
Yes, I read that too and thought there was some merit to that.

But I don't know why losing Flores necessarily means losing his defense. Couldn't we just promote one of his assistants? Someone who will run the same defense? Teams have been doing that for decades. In fact, this really isn't Flores's defense. He modified it and made it his own, but it came from Belichick.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
The best HC in the NFL is about to be let go in New England.....is it because he can't coach? lol. That's rhetorical, its obvious he can. But also even a great football mind needs the conduit of a very good QB. The Vikings have started 4 different ones this year AND have a -6 turnover differential. That's the story of this season. 

Like I've said many times, watch the Redzone Channel and you'll see all kinds of 'curious' play calling. 
While I agree that he has been dealt a bad hand with the QB situation, I still have major concerns about his in game decision making. Who is going to hold him accountable for these head scratching decisions? Kwesi? It's not just play calling but also on the field personnel decisions and play design just like Warner pointed out. 

KOC seems only focused on the Offensive side of the ball which is also concerning. He let Donatell steer the ship into an Iceberg last year and sunk it. He did nothing to stop the bleeding when he should have been fired at the Bye Week and let Pettine take over for the rest of the year. Nothing has changed. Flores runs the defense and KOC runs the offense. When Flores leaves this offseason for a Head Coaching job, we will be back to square one praying that KOC can find a suitable replacement which will once again test his judgement which has come into question this year IMO and from several others in the Media. Even Flores was screaming at him to call a timeout instead of running a second boneheaded QB Sneak with a Center who has a history of back problems and a lack of lower body strength. KOC can't get out of his own way at times. Maybe it's been Cousins all along that has been making KOC look like a great offensive mind.  

I agree with all of you that he is a breath of fresh air compared to Zimmer and he is definitely a great culture builder but so is PJ Fleck. There are some eerily similar traits with these two. Both are struggling with in game decision making. 

Reckless Speculation: Brandon Staley will be our next Defensive Coordinator who was also KOC's coaching buddy with the Rams and strongly recommended he hire Donatell.  

The Flores situation feels critical, doesn’t it? The drop-off from him to Staley or whoever else we’d bring in seems like it will be substantial. I think @medaille is the one who’s been saying Flores’ status for next year is a big part of what direction we take in the offseason and I’m inclined to agree. This team, with Kirk back, could be very good in 2024. This team, with Kirk back, but no Flores and possibly no Hunter screams mediocrity to me. At that point moving on from Kirk may make more sense. It’s wild to put that much stock into one coach but Flo really has been that important. 

But I don't know why losing Flores necessarily means losing his defense. Couldn't we just promote one of his assistants? Someone who will run the same defense? Teams have been doing that for decades. In fact, this really isn't Flores's defense. He modified it and made it his own, but it came from Belichick.
What I find humorous is does anyone else remember a few board members complaining about Flores and his possible bad influence on the team because of 'his disastrous time in Miami"? lol. 

Of course we can get someone else that runs a Flores-type D if he leaves and that's the direction the team wants to go. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:

What I find humorous is does anyone else remember a few board members complaining about Flores and his possible bad influence on the team because of 'his disastrous time in Miami"? lol. 

Of course we can get someone else that runs a Flores-type D if he leaves and that's the direction the team wants to go. 
Hopefully, I’d just feel much better with Flores versus whoever Flores Lite might be.

It’s hard for me to sit here and praise the job Flores has done without also admitting it would be a big loss if he leaves. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:

I thought the hire carried some risk since he had never been a defensive coordinator before and if he flopped or didn't live up to expectation, it might be difficult to fire him due to his pending litigation against the NFL and the Dolphins. I'm thrilled it's worked out as well as it has and now I'm worried about trying to retain him...which might be tough. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:

I thought the hire carried some risk since he had never been a defensive coordinator before and if he flopped or didn't live up to expectation, it might be difficult to fire him due to his pending litigation against the NFL and the Dolphins. I'm thrilled it's worked out as well as it has and now I'm worried about trying to retain him...which might be tough. 
Don't worry, KOC will be bringing in Brandon Staley when Flores leaves.  Feel the buzz!