Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jared Allen says Vikings should move on from Cousins
Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
If KOC loves Cousins so much, why wasn't he able to convince Kwesi to sign him in the off-season when they were in negotiations with Cousins and his Agent who tried to get Kwesi and the Vikings to commit to a contract extension? A healthy Kirk was too expensive and Kwesi has maintained wanting Roster and Cap flexibility. A torn Achilles Kirk and his contract demands is an unknown at this point. I think Kwesi has a number in his head that he is willing to pay and I have my doubts that it will be enough to secure Cousins for next year and beyond. March 15 is the start of Free Agency so we will know long before the draft if Cousins will be on this team or not.  
Because there was no need to. He was already under contract.

Look, everyone is jumping the gun on these contracts. Oh we have to extend JJ. Yes, but technically he's not even a free agent until 2025. We have to sign Darrisaw. Yes, but he's not a free agent until 2026. Someone just the other day put Addison on the list of big contracts to come. 

You don't let your Franchise QB who you really want on the team make it to Free Agency. That would be a stupid business decision. I've said this before. The Vikings like Football Kirk, but the not the business side because he's become unaffordable when you have to build out the rest of the roster and get those extensions you mentioned taken care of. The longer you wait on those extensions, the more expensive they become.  
I think free agency is irrelevant for Kirk Cousins. There's no gamesmanship at play here. Everyone knows where he wants to play. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
If KOC loves Cousins so much, why wasn't he able to convince Kwesi to sign him in the off-season when they were in negotiations with Cousins and his Agent who tried to get Kwesi and the Vikings to commit to a contract extension? A healthy Kirk was too expensive and Kwesi has maintained wanting Roster and Cap flexibility. A torn Achilles Kirk and his contract demands is an unknown at this point. I think Kwesi has a number in his head that he is willing to pay and I have my doubts that it will be enough to secure Cousins for next year and beyond. March 15 is the start of Free Agency so we will know long before the draft if Cousins will be on this team or not.  

Look, everyone is jumping the gun on these contracts. Oh we have to extend JJ. Yes, but technically he's not even a free agent until 2025. We have to sign Darrisaw. Yes, but he's not a free agent until 2026. Someone just the other day put Addison on the list of big contracts to come. 

You don't let your Franchise QB who you really want on the team make it to Free Agency. That would be a stupid business decision. I've said this before. The Vikings like Football Kirk, but the not the business side because he's become unaffordable when you have to build out the rest of the roster and get those extensions you mentioned taken care of. The longer you wait on those extensions, the more expensive they become.  
I think free agency is irrelevant for Kirk Cousins. There's no gamesmanship at play here. Everyone knows where he wants to play. 
But he is very business oriented and about getting paid, if there are other offers he could use it as leverage 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

But he is very business oriented and about getting bad, if there are other offers he could use it as leverage 
I don't think it gets that far. And assuming you mean "getting paid," I think that's mostly a myth. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

But he is very business oriented and about getting bad, if there are other offers he could use it as leverage 
I don't think it gets that far. And assuming you mean "getting paid," I think that's mostly a myth. 
Paid, don't know what happened there. It's definitely not a myth as evidenced by his contracts. I get it, it's a business. But I don't see him taking a hometown discount 

The fans are all over this, we got to pay this guy and we
got to pay that guy, but I think Kwesi is very acknowledging of the risk of
paying a guy too early.  The only reason
to pay a guy early is if you can save a lot of money doing so.  All it takes is one injury to derail a
career.  The idea that we would pay JJ
last offseason was ludicrous.

I think we were actively ready to pay Cousins last year, but
only for 2 years.  He wanted 3 so it wasn’t
going to happen.  Cousins is what he
is.  He’s a good but not great QB and you
surround him with talent and maybe he starts to shine more.

I am of the firm belief that if you have a chance to take a QB
you think has good potential to be a franchise altering move, you should always
draft that QB.  At worst you can trade
them later on and recoup your picks.  At
best they turn into that guy who puts the game on easy mode.  After that, I think you start talking about
Flores.  I think it’s pretty clear, he’s
not going to be here for long, so I think if he’s back in 2024 you should treat
that as sort of as a window for going all in. 
He’s getting so much more out of our defensive talent than probably anybody
else would.  If Flores is back, I think it
would be foolish to enter 2024 without a quality veteran QB on the roster.  You just can’t risk wasting 2024 because you
dumped your QB and missed on getting a guy who can immediately contribute.  I think the Vikings should be one of the most
desirable spots for a FA QB to end up, so as long as the pocketbook is open, we
should be able to end up with Cousins, Dobbs or a solid FA option.  While I think it would be foolish for the
team to pass on a franchise altering QB, I think there’s plenty of room for, “Hey,
the draft just didn’t work out for getting that guy, so lets get a stud DL/Edge
and rally around our good but not great veteran QB.”

What do you guys think the market is for Cousins?  I just don’t think there’s going to be that
much more money out there that screws this up for us.  Obviously, if some team is offering him 3
years, $120M fully guaranteed, we probably can’t compete with a 2 year, $66M
deal, because that’s pretty life changing money, even for someone who already
has money, but I just don’t think there’s going to be many teams that are going
to be that generous.  He’s a good but not
great QB that’s old and coming off a fairly significant injury.  If you have subpar offensive talent, he’s not
your guy.  If you are more in the rebuilding
phase he’s not your guy.  You’re basically
looking for a team that is on the upper spectrum of offensive talent and is in
win now mode.  Who are those teams?  If Cousins is comparing us at $66M for 2
years and a lesser team at $80M for 2 years, I think he’d choose us any day of
the week.  I don’t think he’s that much
of a mercenary.

Hinges on his health of course. IMO he'll be in the Prescott/Daniels/Stafford range. 

He wont sniff Burrrows/Mahomes/Herbert $$$

https://frontofficesports.com/the-10-highest-paid-nfl-quarterbacks/#:~:text=Joe%20Burrow%27s%20%24275%20million%20deal,contract%20given%20to%20Patrick%20Mahomes.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Hinges on his health of course. IMO he'll be in the Prescott/Daniels/Stafford range. 

He wont sniff Burrrows/Mahomes/Herbert $$$

https://frontofficesports.com/the-10-highest-paid-nfl-quarterbacks/#:~:text=Joe%20Burrow%27s%20%24275%20million%20deal,contract%20given%20to%20Patrick%20Mahomes.
Chase Daniel is a FA but last year he made $1.8M. I suppose we could swing that :p

Quote: @medaille said:
What do you guys think the market is for Cousins?  I just don’t think there’s going to be that
much more money out there that screws this up for us.  Obviously, if some team is offering him 3
great QB that’s old and coming off a fairly significant injury.  If you have subpar offensive talent, he’s not
of a mercenary.
Atlanta stands out to me as the most obvious "contender" for Kirk's services. They're sitting at #19 right now in the draft, have some talent, and badly need a QB.
Tampa Bay and Tennessee are in similar boats but they have the 10th and 8th picks, respectively. So they might draft someone instead.

Las Vegas could kick the tires but after the Jimmy G fiasco they will probably go in a different direction.

Outside shots- Pittsburgh if they determine Pickett ain't the guy (unlikely). The Rams can cut Stafford in March before his contract guarantees, though I doubt they'd see Kirk as a an upgrade unless Stafford gets hurt again.
I think you're right that Kirk's market won't be robust, but all it takes is one as they say.

Quote: @medaille said:
of a mercenary.
If Cousins is comparing an offer from the Vikings at $66M for 2 years and an offer of $80 for 2 years odds are he is going to take the $80M simply because so much can change with the draft and free agency and teams willing to push money into the future to get impact players.  Kirk is a businessman and if he has a chance to get $14M more for two years well see ya.