Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The current NFL product is subpar
This is what you expect people to either watch or pay to attend?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547567

The refs are horrible. The games are many times tedious. I'm watching the Redzone Channel yesterday and around 3:30 pm Eastern I'm like, 'WTF am I watching?' Scott Hanson (who I like) was hyping everything SO HARD it was a bit nauseating and transparent. I think players are tired as well, I mean physically tired. I'm seeing much more of obvious bias with certain teams in the NFL compared to others. I turned it off at 5:00 pm Eastern and never went back. And if you try to get some insight and feedback about the games via Twitter, its all so dramatic and hyperbolic. 

I don't know, gang.....I'm personally finding myself trending more toward college football. Their new playoff format next year is going to elevate the sport in viewership....and its already very popular.

I think the trend towards the superconferences is going to hurt the college game as well.  NIL and the transfer portal will also likely make it the same 10 teams every year with the rest of college football playing for those last 2 spots.   

The Eagles/49'ers game yesterday was like an Ali/Frazier match...EPIC

But that is far from the norm for the NFL imo. 

There is a big bunch of nondescript teams in the middle, just as the league wanted it. 

I didn't watch much NFL yesterday, it doesn't seem like I missed much

The NFL is a crack dealer and the US market is their loyal crack heads.  They can keep putting out nonsense and get away with, always more dummies to engage and sell merchandise, tiktoks.  

Garbage product at times that loves to lean into the human error of the game to keep the people talking.  Yelling, creating excitement, clicks, etc.

$19 Billion a year

Love the NFL. Easily my favorite sport to watch. It’s not perfect and the ref/media biases towards certain teams does feel real, but that rarely detracts from my enjoyment.

I’m a huge sports fan. All of the other major sports have peaks and valleys of interest for me depending on what teams/players/towns are succeeding, top stories, and what part of the season it is. But for me with the NFL there is very little of that. I’ll watch just about whatever they give me. It is king.

caught about 10 minutes of football yesterday. Glad we had a bye week. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Love the NFL. Easily my favorite sport to watch. It’s not perfect and the ref/media biases towards certain teams does feel real, but that rarely detracts from my enjoyment.

I’m a huge sports fan. All of the other major sports have peaks and valleys of interest for me depending on what teams/players/towns are succeeding, top stories, and what part of the season it is. But for me with the NFL there is very little of that. I’ll watch just about whatever they give me. It is king.
Yeah, I'm much more with you on this one. I don't know what people are expecting, but there was plenty of drama in the NFL yesterday. If not for your team, then someone else's. Or their fantasy team. Or their betting interests. I'm sure the sports bars were packed and rowdy as they always are and most games didn't disappoint.

The Lions game was good. The Indy game was fantastic. Watched part of both of those. There were plenty of stories to keep people talking, from Tyreek Hill's big day to Love upsetting Mahomes to the 49ers dominating the Eagles. Btw, the game linked in the OP was played in a torrential rain/snow mix. Neither QB could throw past 10 yards. That's why the baseball score.

And bad reffing, though frustrating, does nothing to decrease interest. Just the opposite. It's not like fans get up from their couch and say "oh that's a bad product, I'm going to stop watching." No, they talk about it, bitch about it, post about it....all doing what? Increasing conversation about the NFL. Increasing interest, popularity...profits.

No, the NFL is alive and well. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:

Sounds like me, I love watching the NFL. There's always been bias towards certain teams and players. My main bitch is the NFL refuses to employ full time officials, a ridiculous stance for a bulti-billion dollar business.

While I do think that there’s some amount of the refs
picking the winner, but I also think there’s a lot of the refs helping the
losing team keep it close and make the games more superficially competitive and
interesting.  It’d best interesting to
see what percentage of games are one score games, compared to previous seasons
in the salary cap era.