Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you want Kirk Cousins to return in 2024?
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
According to reports, both Cousins and the Vikings are "very receptive" to having Cousins return on an extension. Cousons relationship with KOC and the respect he has in the locker room are listed as huge factors in getting something done  
My own preference is this...

Unless Dobbs goes off like few of us can imagine, having KC on a team friendlier deal AND getting a QBOTF in the next draft seems optimal. 

Best chance to win in 24 and let a younger guy curate a season or 2. 

I think this is the odds on favorite for actually happening. KOC and Cousins love each other. Dobbs is nice and he'll probably get a shot somewhere else if he keeps playing well, but they like Cousins to win games/lead/mentor the QBOTF. 

If I were laying money down, this would be my bet.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
According to reports, both Cousins and the Vikings are "very receptive" to having Cousins return on an extension. Cousons relationship with KOC and the respect he has in the locker room are listed as huge factors in getting something done  
My own preference is this...

Unless Dobbs goes off like few of us can imagine, having KC on a team friendlier deal AND getting a QBOTF in the next draft seems optimal. 

Best chance to win in 24 and let a younger guy curate a season or 2. 

Agree. But I will say that there is a scenario where Kirk isn't back, and that's one where Dobbs just continues to play out of his mind and we win playoff games. 

I don't think that would mean the team sees Dobbs as the future any more than they saw Keenum as the future 6 years ago. That would be foolish, and they will draft a QB. However, at that point, the team might start to see Dobbs as a capable bridge QB. A much cheaper bridge that allows the team to add some "go-for-it" elements in free agency. 

I still think the most likely scenario is Cousins coming back. Just saying that could change. 

Through two games, we have seen that the Vikings offense can continue to function at a high level without Cousins. We've also seen that adding mobility at QB can open up a lot of options in O'Connell's offense. That hard part with Dobbs is that he's a free agent after this season, so if he gets the team into the playoffs and they make some noise, then he probably won't be an option as a bridge QB. As with Keenum, the Vikings will need to decide if Dobbs is a player who caught lightning in a bottle for a season or if he's someone that can have sustained success? There are a lot of moving pieces. We need to see how Dobbs and Hall finish off the season. How does Cousin's recovery progress? And what the other options are at QB. Right now, I think holding onto Kirk in the short term is the most likely outcome, but if they keep him, then the pressure is on to find a QB of the future. Hall showed some brief flashes, but they are not in a position to pass on a QB in the draft right now.

To be clear this is not me writing off Hall, but he's in a hard spot right with a proven veteran recovering from injury and Dobbs playing out of his mind right now.

Quote: @Tyr said:
Through two games, we have seen that the Vikings offense can continue to function at a high level without Cousins. We've also seen that adding mobility at QB can open up a lot of options in O'Connell's offense. That hard part with Dobbs is that he's a free agent after this season, so if he gets the team into the playoffs and they make some noise, then he probably won't be an option as a bridge QB. As with Keenum, the Vikings will need to decide if Dobbs is a player who caught lightning in a bottle for a season or if he's someone that can have sustained success? There are a lot of moving pieces. We need to see how Dobbs and Hall finish off the season. How does Cousin's recovery progress? And what the other options are at QB. Right now, I think holding onto Kirk in the short term is the most likely outcome, but if they keep him, then the pressure is on to find a QB of the future. Hall showed some brief flashes, but they are not in a position to pass on a QB in the draft right now.

To be clear this is not me writing off Hall, but he's in a hard spot right with a proven veteran recovering from injury and Dobbs playing out of his mind right now.
The bold might be the most significant takeaway. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what it might look like to have someone with the arm talent and leadership of Kirk Cousins but with the running ability of a guy like Dobbs. Put them together and you have the perfect QB. I think that's what we'll be looking for in the '24 draft.

Vikings will also have a good amount of cap space ($45M ish), even more if they give JJ a new contract and tear up that 5th year option. Even more if they re-do Cousins and lose that $28M dead cap hit. 

I have a feeling the Vikings are going to be in "go for it" mode this spring. They'll resign Cousins at a discount, try to fit Dobbs into the Cousins savings, but not get him. Then go into the season with Cousins, Hall and whoever they draft.