Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins looks forward to resuming career as a Viking
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
C'mon back, Kirko. 
Imo,  last nights performance changes nothing in terms of KC going forward.   We still need to draft a QB early,  and we still got to see what mobility from the QB position can do for our offense,   we didn't have passing accuracy and that made the difference,  but it wouldn't have taken .ugh better passing accuracy and that combined with the mobility factor and we win that game.  Kirk has the arm,  but will never have the mobility so even if Dobbs isn't the bridge QB you want,  if the goal is to try and win along the journey then Kirk isn't it either. 

Like we were all agreeing to the last couple weeks,   imagine what an extra 20 million a year in cap space could do for the roster and put that with a mobile QB with average arm talent and see what you get.  Dobbs has unlocked the secret pages of the playback,  some are throw aways,  but imagine this playbook with that better passing option.  We don't need Mahomes,  but even a watered down version would be an improvement. 

I still say unless he plays for a lot of incentives and no handcuffing verbiage,   we move off Cousins.
Just for clarity, for me personally, when I say 'C'mon back, Kirko' that doesn't mean I don't want to draft a QBOTF this upcoming draft. Not even close. IMO, that is Job 1 coming out of this Spring's Draft. It needs to happen. I just want Kirk back to play a year and let the kid learn. I'm not interested in some kind of 3 year deal for Cousins. 

I'm still where I've been all season:

bring Kirk back on a fair contract, which now has variables including "was leading the league in TD passes" and "injury" to be considered along with his popularity in the locker room.

The hate club has never, and will never, count toward anything.

I want him back for maybe 2 seasons to be the guy while a true QBOTF is drafted and learning behind him. I have zero faith that our fan base will stay with a rookie QB's learning curves after we've shown to be such a negative bunch in recent years.

Quote: @Zanary said:

bring Kirk back on a fair contract, which now has variables including "was leading the league in TD passes" and "injury" to be considered along with his popularity in the locker room.

I want him back for maybe 2 seasons to be the guy while a true QBOTF is drafted and learning behind him. I have zero faith that our fan base will stay with a rookie QB's learning curves after we've shown to be such a negative bunch in recent years.
I think that is the sticking point. What Kirk and his Agent think is fair vs. the Vikings is why I don't see a new contract getting done. We weren't close on getting a deal done in the offseason when he was healthy because the Vikings didn't like the numbers. Kirk can just sit out 2024 while he gets healthy and collect his $28.5 Million the Vikings owe him, but there will be plenty of other teams bidding for his services so I doubt he does that. I still think the deal he ends up getting is going to be around $30 Million guaranteed with incentives that could get him to $40 Million which is what his market would have been had he not torn the Achilles. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@Zanary said:

I think that is the sticking point. What Kirk and his Agent think is fair vs. the Vikings is why I don't see a new contract getting done. We weren't close on getting a deal done in the offseason when he was healthy because the Vikings didn't like the numbers. Kirk can just sit out 2024 while he gets healthy and collect his $28.5 Million the Vikings owe him, but there will be plenty of other teams bidding for his services so I doubt he does that. I still think the deal he ends up getting is going to be around $30 Million guaranteed with incentives that could get him to $40 Million which is what his market would have been had he not torn the Achilles. 
Kirk is a free agent after 23,  that 28.5 is prorated signing bonus and is nothing except cap gymnastics to make his current deal work the last few years,   can kicking.

Given that the current "badass QB bar" is currently at a median of...what, $50 million per season?...if his deal has escalators making 40 possible, that's not unreasonable by current market standards.

Granted, I think a ton of athletes' pay is whacko, but relative market is what matters....

Did you know....

Dobbs and K.Cousins share the same agent? 

Mike McCartney