Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dobbs hit his ceiling
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:
Dobbs did hit his ceiling… and it was the first half of the Saints game.

Maybe this is a poor choice of words by OP but how can you say last night was his ceiling when he played so much better last week?

And as OP points out— we don’t have any other great options. I’m curious about Hall too but the odds he could’ve played any better than Dobbs did last night (even if he was healthy) seem low. Denver’s defense is very good and they took away almost all of the big plays, fake punt aside. Because of this, Addison was a ghost. They forced us into long drives and correctly guessed that eventually we’d turn the ball over, because it’s us.

The pass blocking got smoked quite a bit even though the run blocking was solid.

Dobbs is fine and I thought with a minute left we’d have a decent chance to get a FG try. Sadly that’s when they really dialed up the pressure and blew up what we wanted to do. It happens. We lost by 1 point to a good team in their house.

JJ would have made a huge difference I think and also Chandler should be playing firmly ahead of Mattison. That change needs to happen this week. To me our RB situation closely mirrors Buffalo’s. The difference is James Cook gets most of the touches for them, not Latavius Murray.
Denver and MN are pretty evenly matched teams. Neither are elite, but neither are bottom feeders either.  

JJ probably would have made a difference last night.  BUT - I have no idea how he and Dobbs will mesh (or not). I'm not convinced it'll work seamlessly. 

How Mattison gets that many more carries than Chandler doesnt compute with me either. 

Mattison is much better at pass pro,  as was evidenced a couple times last night.  If Chandler was better a picking up a blitz it would be different,  but until then you have to keep Mattison on the field more IMO otherwise you are seriously tipping your hand which is already an issue.  I am starting to think Mattison may be tipping the run somewhat though,  seems like his runs get blown up more than AKers did,  or Chandler does,  that isnt on AM dancing or not running hard,  I think the D may be seeing something and taking advantage of it.  Or maybe its somebody else,  since Chandler has a few blown up as well,  but something seems off other than AM not being able to run the ball.

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
Honestly I know at this point we’re too far down the road to do it, but there really is no point to not starting Jaren Hall for the rest of the season once he’s cleared. The five wins in a row gave the season life and turned the playoffs into a realistic goal. If Kirk hasn’t gotten hurt, I think we could actually make a deep run and who knows at that point. 

I know…the marketing department did a wonderful job in painting Josh Dobbs a savior cemented by the two unlikely wins. But, seriously, Dobbs ain’t the guy. Tonight was everything Josh Dobbs will ever be…and that’s not enough. 

Tanking would be stupid at this point because they’ve already won too many games to get a great draft pick. Plus, all the passtrounaut bs has given the fanbase hope and you can’t realistically give up on that. 

I just think they need to find a way to transition back to Hall to see what they have. This holding onto the “competitive rebuild” masquerade they’re doing with Dobbs right now is doing more damage than it is benefit. 
This take is as bad as your “ Dobbs is elite” after watching 2 series of play. 

2 threads, both borderline trolling, interesting 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@CFIAvike said:
Honestly I know at this point we’re too far down the road to do it, but there really is no point to not starting Jaren Hall for the rest of the season once he’s cleared. The five wins in a row gave the season life and turned the playoffs into a realistic goal. If Kirk hasn’t gotten hurt, I think we could actually make a deep run and who knows at that point. 

I know…the marketing department did a wonderful job in painting Josh Dobbs a savior cemented by the two unlikely wins. But, seriously, Dobbs ain’t the guy. Tonight was everything Josh Dobbs will ever be…and that’s not enough. 

Tanking would be stupid at this point because they’ve already won too many games to get a great draft pick. Plus, all the passtrounaut bs has given the fanbase hope and you can’t realistically give up on that. 

I just think they need to find a way to transition back to Hall to see what they have. This holding onto the “competitive rebuild” masquerade they’re doing with Dobbs right now is doing more damage than it is benefit. 
This take is as bad as your “ Dobbs is elite” after watching 2 series of play. 

2 threads, both borderline trolling, interesting 
He'll be around as long as the team keeps losing. 

This place whipsaws back and forth from pure elation to doom and gloom depending on a win or loss. 
This team is capable of beating any team out there, even with Dobbs!
It's a loss on the road against a team on a roll. I'm not discouraged by this game; just disappointed.
They are in a good position to make the playoffs, then see what happens.
There were plenty of mistakes to go around last night. But they didn't look like a team that sucks to me.
Premature to think about tanking or giving up.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
This place whipsaws back and forth from pure elation to doom and gloom depending on a win or loss. 
This team is capable of beating any team out there, even with Dobbs!
It's a loss on the road against a team on a roll. I'm not discouraged by this game; just disappointed.
They are in a good position to make the playoffs, then see what happens.
There were plenty of mistakes to go around last night. But they didn't look like a team that sucks to me.
Premature to think about tanking or giving up.
Neither has happened or will happen. 

What'll tank the season is more injuries. 

hey.... the Vikings covered the spread though.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:

Maybe this is a poor choice of words by OP but how can you say last night was his ceiling when he played so much better last week?

And as OP points out— we don’t have any other great options. I’m curious about Hall too but the odds he could’ve played any better than Dobbs did last night (even if he was healthy) seem low. Denver’s defense is very good and they took away almost all of the big plays, fake punt aside. Because of this, Addison was a ghost. They forced us into long drives and correctly guessed that eventually we’d turn the ball over, because it’s us.

The pass blocking got smoked quite a bit even though the run blocking was solid.

Dobbs is fine and I thought with a minute left we’d have a decent chance to get a FG try. Sadly that’s when they really dialed up the pressure and blew up what we wanted to do. It happens. We lost by 1 point to a good team in their house.

JJ would have made a huge difference I think and also Chandler should be playing firmly ahead of Mattison. That change needs to happen this week. To me our RB situation closely mirrors Buffalo’s. The difference is James Cook gets most of the touches for them, not Latavius Murray.
Denver and MN are pretty evenly matched teams. Neither are elite, but neither are bottom feeders either.  

JJ probably would have made a difference last night.  BUT - I have no idea how he and Dobbs will mesh (or not). I'm not convinced it'll work seamlessly. 

How Mattison gets that many more carries than Chandler doesnt compute with me either. 

Mattison is much better at pass pro,  as was evidenced a couple times last night.  If Chandler was better a picking up a blitz it would be different,  but until then you have to keep Mattison on the field more IMO otherwise you are seriously tipping your hand which is already an issue.  I am starting to think Mattison may be tipping the run somewhat though,  seems like his runs get blown up more than AKers did,  or Chandler does,  that isnt on AM dancing or not running hard,  I think the D may be seeing something and taking advantage of it.  Or maybe its somebody else,  since Chandler has a few blown up as well,  but something seems off other than AM not being able to run the ball.
Mr. Mattison is that you? Hah this seems charitable but you might be right. And Mattison did have some nice plays last night but the fumble killed. He also dropped the one target I remember him having. Play was going nowhere anyway but still. I’m not sure when exactly his hands calcified but good lord.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:

Mr. Mattison is that you? Hah this seems charitable but you might be right. And Mattison did have some nice plays last night but the fumble killed. He also dropped the one target I remember him having. Play was going nowhere anyway but still. I’m not sure when exactly his hands calcified but good lord.
Ha,  IIRC it was either him or Hock that had a drop that was likely the best result as it was going to be for a loss.  We needed to hit something down field last night to soften that D up,  even if it wasnt there,  DObbs needed to throw a few deep to keep the D honest.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:

Ha,  IIRC it was either him or Hock that had a drop that was likely the best result as it was going to be for a loss.  We needed to hit something down field last night to soften that D up,  even if it wasnt there,  DObbs needed to throw a few deep to keep the D honest.
100%. Addison and especially KJO were invisible. I don’t recall either being open that often and Dobbs just missing them, but I could be wrong. I just don’t think they got much separation. DEN D locked them up big time.

Dobbs ball placement was consistently bad last night.  The "drops" by Hockenson were poorly thrown balls that gave the LB the opportunity to make a play.  You would not have seen that from Kirk.  Then there were a few WTF panic plays that could have cost us dearly.  Oh yeah, and he fumbled three times.  There is a lot to clean up.  KOC needs a better game plan.  Dobbs has had a few plays that looked like RPO but he never kept the ball -- could have been big plays.  After what Denver did late, expect lots of blitzing in the future -- up to KOC to put together a plan to exploit them.

I also thought Kene could have helped us last night with his speed.  A jet sweep; a toss play.  Mattison's stat line was decent, but honestly he killed us.