Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings now with an 83% chance to make playoffs
Would really like to see us get the division and a home game, but after the Lions win yesterday we would pretty much need to win out as they have a pretty easy schedule.

Quote: @JR44 said:
Would really like to see us get the division and a home game, but after the Lions win yesterday we would pretty much need to win out as they have a pretty easy schedule.
If we beat the Lions 2x. Its doable. If not, the path is quite problematic. 

Best thing we could hope for would be some adversity in Det. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@comet52 said:
Get ready to cheer for our wild card road loss!
Normally I’m in the camp that limping into the playoffs and not being a real contender doesn’t mean much, but context is everything.

For a tenured coach like Zim was, with an aging roster going nowhere, I completely agree with you. It’s not some great accomplishment.

But for a rising coach still cutting his teeth in the league, a roster that’s getting younger and flashing, and a team that’s been hit hard with injuries but is still fighting like heck to win games— making the playoffs is impressive to me, if they’re able to do it.

Losing in the playoffs will suck like it always does if that’s what happens, but just getting there this year gives the players something to build on and gives me even more confidence in KO’s coaching skills, which in turn gives me lots of hope for the future. 
I recall a guy doing some study on repeat playoff appearances.  I don't remember the whole thing, but the premise was that a team needs to have some playoff experience to make it to the superbowl.  Teams without having been there and had some success don't win the superbowl.  And with staff and player turnover, it has to be a recent thing

Quote: @greediron said:
@pattersaur said:
@comet52 said:
Get ready to cheer for our wild card road loss!
Normally I’m in the camp that limping into the playoffs and not being a real contender doesn’t mean much, but context is everything.

For a tenured coach like Zim was, with an aging roster going nowhere, I completely agree with you. It’s not some great accomplishment.

But for a rising coach still cutting his teeth in the league, a roster that’s getting younger and flashing, and a team that’s been hit hard with injuries but is still fighting like heck to win games— making the playoffs is impressive to me, if they’re able to do it.

Losing in the playoffs will suck like it always does if that’s what happens, but just getting there this year gives the players something to build on and gives me even more confidence in KO’s coaching skills, which in turn gives me lots of hope for the future. 
I recall a guy doing some study on repeat playoff appearances.  I don't remember the whole thing, but the premise was that a team needs to have some playoff experience to make it to the superbowl.  Teams without having been there and had some success don't win the superbowl.  And with staff and player turnover, it has to be a recent thing

Definitely things working against this team to go too far. But hey, the playoffs would be very cool considering the start the team had and the injuries. The sunshine factory is working 3 shifts until Armageddon! Keeping it sugary sweet!

[Image: ab67616d0000b27388f708dc809a409725ab5c29]

"All of a sudden, Minnesota owns a two-game grip on the NFC’s final wild-card spot. And when you remember that Justin Jefferson has missed most of this improbable win streak, it’s easy to get excited about this story. Worry about the future later; what’s happening with Josh Dobbs and everyone else is simply too fun."  -FoxSports.com

Quote: @StickyBun said:
"All of a sudden, Minnesota owns a two-game grip on the NFC’s final wild-card spot. And when you remember that Justin Jefferson has missed most of this improbable win streak, it’s easy to get excited about this story. Worry about the future later; what’s happening with Josh Dobbs and everyone else is simply too fun."  -FoxSports.com
Would the excitement level be the same if Cousins was still the QB?  Or is the added element of mobility from the QB spot to the offense the spark that has rejuvenated the fans?  

Most fans predicted a winning record through this streak of games ( not perfection,  but winning )  but I dont think many saw the possibility of making a real run until Dobbs started running.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Would the excitement level be the same if Cousins was still the QB?  Or is the added element of mobility from the QB spot to the offense the spark that has rejuvenated the fans?  

I don't think there is ANY doubt, especially with the 30 and under crowd, Dobbs is the kind of Madden-esque QB they LOVE. He's electric running the ball and it has definitely created a rejuvenated buzz with many fans. I don't think that can be denied. But these are the same type of fans that will drop him like hot dog shit when he starts to struggle. I think the 'Passtronaut' angle is also very appealing as a national media narrative. He's also extremely humble and likable. Basically a sports marketing dream story.

Well excuse me! 86% chance of making the playoffs. 

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1...6286827779

[Image: 9e8579776b241bd5dfa00bcbbf747ff0.gif]

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Most fans predicted a winning record through this streak of games ( not perfection,  but winning )  but I dont think many saw the possibility of making a real run until Dobbs started running.
I do think there would be a buzz about the team if Cousins
was the QB through this run, but I think it’s less about the running and more
about the improbability of winning and the newness of things.  When guy comes in cold and wins you two games
without really knowing the offense, there’s some air of magic about that, and
while Cousins play is probably fairly predictable, this is new and somewhat
unpredictable.

Quote: @medaille said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

I do think there would be a buzz about the team if Cousins
was the QB through this run, but I think it’s less about the running and more
about the improbability of winning and the newness of things.  When guy comes in cold and wins you two games
without really knowing the offense, there’s some air of magic about that, and
while Cousins play is probably fairly predictable, this is new and somewhat
unpredictable.

Fans would still be excited with wins and Kirko Chainz has new fan equity the last year or so under KOC. But some younger fans like their style points and the Passtronaut is delivering that in spades more than Cousins ever could or would. As you mention, the unpredictability of Dobbs could leave everyone cold at some point. Cousins is a known, highly productive quantity.