Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way way to early on Dobbs
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
there is no reason the Vikings can't be like the Chiefs -- have their cake and eat it too re: QBOTF

As others have said, enjoy the season - it appeared dead just 14 days ago. 

The draft will take care of itself. 

Oh I get it.  I can tell you that I was looking forward to drafting a Qb and seeing what KOC could do with him.  But frankly, maybe we can do it with Dobbs?  Kurt Warner was stocking shelves.   I'm not saying Dobbs is that.  But maybe the football gods gave us a freebie? 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@purplefaithful said:
there is no reason the Vikings can't be like the Chiefs -- have their cake and eat it too re: QBOTF

Oh I get it.  I can tell you that I was looking forward to drafting a Qb and seeing what KOC could do with him.  But frankly, maybe we can do it with Dobbs?  Kurt Warner was stocking shelves.   I'm not saying Dobbs is that.  But maybe the football gods gave us a freebie? 
Keenum, Warner, Foles… heck Geno Smith was left for dead and was pretty great last season.

It might not be sustainable but there’s some precedence for a QB getting hot and taking a team places.

Missing out on a top QB prospect is a bummer but with 6 wins that ship has sailed. The top 3 QBs will be gone by pick 4 I bet, so we only ever had a slim shot at them.

Best thing we can hope for now is that Dobbs is our Savior! Second best thing we can hope for is a tier 2 QB prospect, likely via trade up, on Draft night.

Kurt Warner was stocking shelves.   I'm not saying Dobbs is that.  But maybe the football gods gave us a freebie? 
For me, it's not Warner, but probably closer to Rich Gannon. A journeyman backup until he joined Oakland at the age of 34, and then just went off in thier system (4x Pro-Bowl, 2x All Pro, 2002 AP MVP).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nnRi00.htm

Kurt Warner stocking shelves reminded me of former Vikings runningback Scottie Graham. In 1993, Graham was working in a pharmacy when he got his call. Robert Smith was placed on the IR and Graham's tough running helped the Vikings make the playoffs.

I guess I don’t see the purpose of having to be an early
adopter on this.  I’ll just wait a couple
more weeks to jump on the hype train and start planning the future moves of the
team.  That said, I think we’ve built enough
talent on offense that any competent QB should be able to run this offense
successfully.  I think you can see the trappings
of competency with Dobbs, but I also think the Saints did as much as possible
to help us keep the offense moving in the first half, and lady luck is on our
side.  The downside of Dobbs is that there’s
no rookie contract magic. 

I pulled his stats on BSPN.  Its interesting.  He's got a tad higher yards/game (10ish yards/game) and a tad higher completion percentage. (5%)
This doesn't take into account that he's only been here 2 weeks but its interesting that his sacks per game are about the same.  His completion percent is only slightly better.  His running average is about the same.  His sack numbers are right on.  He's due for a interception. 

When you look at just his small sample size as a Viking.  He's actually playing top 1/2 of the league in stats.

I heard on the radio yesterday how the Dobbs saga is so reminiscent of Keenum in 17 and there are similarities. 

Case had Schurmur and Dobbs has KOC

Ah, the old Zimmer days ---
[Image: 22b0edd8-acfd-4cc0-b45b-e2c0514627e4_text.gif]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I heard on the radio yesterday how the Dobbs saga is so reminiscent of Keenum in 17 and there are similarities. 

Case had Schurmur and Dobbs has KOC

Ah, the old Zimmer days ---
[Image: 22b0edd8-acfd-4cc0-b45b-e2c0514627e4_text.gif]
Hoping for a different result but there’s a decent chance this ride ends the same way Keenum’s did in Philly. Man if Dobbs could avenge that loss I’d be sooo happy. 

@purplefaithful said:

If not a freebie maybe a raincheck on that early quarterback in the draft.  Dobbs has never really had the offensive weapons he has now so who knows what he is capable of doing.  He also has never really had a real chance to be the guy a team looks to every Sunday.  He was never going to be that guy in Cleveland especially after they got Watson so off he goes.  He was never going to be that guy in Arizona once Murray came back so off he goes.  Now with Kirk coming off an injury and slated to be a free agent maybe Dobbs, if he continues to be effective will maybe take less on the market to stay and at least be a capable backup.

KOC has made it known how he feels about what Kirk brings to the team but I'm sure privately he wishes Cousins could give him the running threat that Dobbs brings to the offense.

Koc has watched these last couple weeks that the missing piece of the puzzle is a mobile quarterback. 
Should be an interesting off season.