Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you want Kirk Cousins to return in 2024?
It depends. The team is clearly behind him and he was playing lights out before getting hurt. The turnovers this year are a big concern along with how well and quickly he recovers from his injury. I can see a case for keeping him another 1-2 years, but they are in the window where they need to aggressively look for a QB of the future. Having a QB on a rookie deal would be huge for building out the rest of the roster, but obviously there is no guarantee that they find the right player. However, I have a lot more faith in O'Connell to develop a young passer than I ever did under Zimmer and seeing both Hall and Dobbs play well today gives me more confidence they could make a switch at QB and not have things collapse.

It does look like there will be a strong QB draft class, but with how the team is playing, I have a hard time seeing them end up with a top 10 pick, so a rookie QB is not a guarantee. We have the rest of the season to see what we have in Hall and Dobbs, but there are a lot of moving parts and I have no idea what veteran QBs are expected to be available.

It's only one game but seeing Hall and Dobbs play decently and us eeking out a win was pretty telling. If Kirk plays maybe we win more comfortably? But I'm not sure about that. Obviously Kirk is much better than both but if these-- for lack of a better term-- scrub QBs can be serviceable in KO's offense then maybe we don't NEED a $40M/yr QB? It made me think.
If the Hall/Dobbs combo can continue playing decently (big if), I think that would give me enough confidence to roll with them and a first round rookie next year. The rest of the season is going to be very interesting.
I'd still take Kirk back for a year or two for sure, but if he moves on it might not be the end of the world, if today was any indication.

I hate to break up this party but the answer is simply no, unless he accepts that he is the backup. There are way too many QBs in this draft that will be very, very good in the NFL.And who knows, perhaps KAM does the opposite this draft and trades up to get a franchise QB.
At our draft pick;
Caleb Williams will be gone.Penix should be goneDrake Maye should be goneJJ McCarthy should be gone but could still be there.Bo Nix should be gone but could still be there.
And there are others that would qualify.

Quote: @FLVike said:
I hate to break up this party but the answer is simply no, unless he accepts that he is the backup. There are way too many QBs in this draft that will be very, very good in the NFL.And who knows, perhaps KAM does the opposite this draft and trades up to get a franchise QB.
At our draft pick;
Caleb Williams will be gone.Penix should be goneDrake Maye should be goneJJ McCarthy should be gone but could still be there.Bo Nix should be gone but could still be there.
The problem is the Kirk decision is a month before the draft. So if even by your admission, the top 5 could all be gone before our pick (unlikely but possible), then we'll be screwed. Without Kirk teams will know we're desperate to trade up and will require even more picks. Then KAM will get killed for getting "fleeced". It's a tough situation to be in. We just all need to hope the football gods smile on us this offseason. Could set our team up for a long time, one way or the other.

Give me a rookie or Hall or Dobbs with players like:

Leonard Williams (DL instead of Bullard) 
Tenir Tart (DT instead of Lynch)
Tony Pollard (RB instead of Mattison)

Then a (1) 36 year old immobile QB off an achilles injury.

Those 3 should add up to $40 million.

What would this team be like with those two on the DL and a RB that can hit the hole fast?

This 2023 team is winning 10 games, book it

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@FLVike said:
At our draft pick;
The problem is the Kirk decision is a month before the draft. So if even by your admission, the top 5 could all be gone before our pick (unlikely but possible), then we'll be screwed. Without Kirk teams will know we're desperate to trade up and will require even more picks. Then KAM will get killed for getting "fleeced". It's a tough situation to be in. We just all need to hope the football gods smile on us this offseason. Could set our team up for a long time, one way or the other.

That's not a problem at all. If he doesn't want to play for a minimum contract then fine, the Lions showed us how easy it is to trade up 20 spots in the first round. We won't need to go 20 spots to get one of those 5.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@FLVike said:
At our draft pick;
Just remember that Rodgers, Mahomes, Cousins, Hurts and Prescott, were taken 24th, 10th, 102nd, 53rd and 135th, while Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles and RGIII were all taken top 5. 

I'm not saying you don't improve your chances by picking higher, because you do. But it's nowhere near as much as one might think. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@FLVike said:
At our draft pick;
Just remember that Rodgers, Mahomes, Cousins, Hurts and Prescott, were taken 24th, 10th, 102nd, 53rd and 135th, while Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles and RGIII were all taken top 5. 

I'm not saying you don't improve your chances by picking higher, because you do. But it's nowhere near as much as one might think. 

Isn't it roughly 50% on top 5 QBs that they'll turn out to be a decent starter?  I think they'll resign Kirk and draft and draft a QB personally. I think the most logical pick is JJ McCarthy right now.  Might not have to have a top 5 pick for him.  Might be able to be in the 7-10 area.  We'll probably need to trade 2 1sts and a little more to get the deal done.

Quote: @FLVike said:
At our draft pick;

Your plan is to get rid of one of the best QB's in the league and let him walk hoping we hit the lottery in the draft?  I sure hope you're not on the KAM advisory board.  Whomever we draft will be much better suited sitting for a bit behind a veteran QB who by all accounts has the maturity and preparedness to groom a rookie to be the next Vikings QB.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@FLVike said:
At our draft pick;

Isn't it roughly 50% on top 5 QBs that they'll turn out to be a decent starter?  I think they'll resign Kirk and draft and draft a QB personally. I think the most logical pick is JJ McCarthy right now.  Might not have to have a top 5 pick for him.  Might be able to be in the 7-10 area.  We'll probably need to trade 2 1sts and a little more to get the deal done.

2 firsts? You got to be out of your mind. The Lions moved from 32 to 12 without giving a first.