Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KOC is riding with Jaren Hall
It's the right move. Dobbs is there if Hall falls apart or gets injured. I think the staff saw enough calm, enough quality working the huddle in a pressure situation on the road, deep in his own territory, to give him the keys. Didn't play a ton, of course, but they saw enough. That, coupled with the absolute garbage out there without giving up any kind of major compensation, made the path probably pretty clear. They are locked into the 'competitive rebuild' mode, whether fans want that approach or not. Losing Cousins is devastating as the staff was seeing their vision for the offense coming to light. 

I'm hopeful (that's the fan optimism) that Hall can play well, but honestly the expectations should be very realistic and minimal. Having Cousins on the sideline can hopefully brighten the team's mood and he can help Hall/Dobbs. We shall see. I'm interested in this game in Atlanta.

I think Hall gets the start in Atlanta and if he plays well he could just keep going.

Dobbs is the veteran security blanket if Hall falters. But I think he'll need at least a couple weeks before he's even close to ready to run this offense. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think Hall gets the start in Atlanta and if he plays well he could just keep going.

Dobbs is the veteran security blanket if Hall falters. But I think he'll need at least a couple weeks before he's even close to ready to run this offense. 
A couple weeks?! Hopefully Hall plays well and holds him off, but if Hall comes out and throws 3 picks in the first half vs Atlanta, I almost guarantee Dobbs gets the ball in the second half.
Hall's leash is shorter than Bryce Young IMO. KO even said yesterday that Hall will start but Dobbs could play this weekend.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:

A couple weeks?! Hopefully Hall plays well and holds him off, but if Hall comes out and throws 3 picks in the first half vs Atlanta, I almost guarantee Dobbs gets the ball in the second half.
Hall's leash is shorter than Bryce Young IMO. KO even said yesterday that Hall will start but Dobbs could play this weekend.
Part of me thinks you are correct on this because part of me thinks that KOC is still looking to salvage this season and push for the playoffs. That obviously can change with losses getting stacked, but I think this is his and the organization's mindset RIGHT NOW as we sit. JMO.

@MaroonBells said:

That’s standard coach speak for “Hey, we’re going to leave
things ambiguous so that you have to prepare for 2 potential QBs rather than 1”

@MaroonBells said:

It's definitely possible. KOC is going to go with the guy he trusts based on what he's seen in practice. We have no idea who that is.

But on the surface I think I'd rather go with the guy who knows the offense. I like the Dobbs signing, but putting in a guy who is completely unfamiliar with the play calls, the routes, the depths, the protections...could be a recipe for disaster. 

I know teams have ways to simplify things for situations like this, but much of that relies on a strong running game, which we don't have. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:

It's definitely possible. KOC is going to go with the guy he trusts based on what he's seen in practice. We have no idea who that is.

But on the surface I think I'd rather go with the guy who knows the offense. I like the Dobbs signing, but putting in a guy who is completely unfamiliar with the play calls, the routes, the depths, the protections...could be a recipe for disaster. 

I know teams have ways to simplify things for situations like this, but much of that relies on a strong running game, which we don't have. 

if we see Dobbs this weekend IMO,  its very very bad news for Hall,  no way you would ever want a 5 day QB to be playing.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:

if we see Dobbs this weekend IMO,  its very very bad news for Hall,  no way you would ever want a 5 day QB to be playing.

Makes you think of the Josh Freeman experience.