Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland out means Risner in
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
The handwringing over lack of return from posters who openly shit on Cleveland the last few years is glorious. The logic seems to be "Cleveland is trash". But also, "Kwesi is trash because he couldn't trade Cleveland who is trash for a valuable pick."

Hey fellas, just a reminder, you may be able to delete posts you've made. But that doesn't delete your comments when someone quoted you. 
I don't recall anyone on here shitting on Cleveland (would that be a Cleveland steamer?) Bradbury, absolutely...Ingram, definitely. I don't recall anybody bashing on Clevelands play which had been mostly very solid during his tenure here in Minnesota. 

Still surprised though at the lack of return for a guy who has been a good starter for us and still only 25 years old! So yeah, I think it was another trash trade by Mensah 

There's the revisionist history we've come to expect from the interwebs GMs of the world who aren't happy unless the team makes the moves they'd make. We get it, you don't like the GM.P

No one ever shit on Cleveland? That's rich, he was whipping boy at guard pre Ingram. Fun fact, in an interview today Pederson said they got a good backup lineman. Backup on an expiring contract who was unlikely to be brought back. Boy oh did the Vikes get fleeced. 
Regardless of what anybody thinks of the GM, it was underwhelming value (read above) in trade return by most accounts 

Read above? I'm still trying to decipher the mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion they did. Let's break it down.

"the team gets great swing guard depth"  

MN got a 6th for a guy clearly not in next years plans, who isn't good enough to be considered a starter on their new team. They got fleeced?

"Cleveland is earning a career-high 72.3 pass-blocking grade so far in 2023 but has yet to hit a 55.0 mark for a full season, which is the reason this trade compensation is so little'

Has yet to hit 55 for a full season. Translation, not worth a hell of a lot to a team bringing him in as a backup. Also they point blank say why compensation was "so little".

"Cleveland was replaced in the starting lineup by veteran Dalton Risner, who is not quite as good of a run-blocker in space but is a far superior pass-blocker." 

Imagine that, a pass heavy team replacing a poor pass blocking player with a superior pass blocking player.

"sixth-round pick and nothing else from a legitimate Super Bowl contender for a starting-caliber guard, even in a contract year, is a fairly underwhelming return for Minnesota."

This breakdown calls Cleveland "swing guard depth", "depth piece" but then "starting caliber guard". Uh, so which is it? Also calling MN a  "legitimate Super Bowl contender " is cute.

Chase Young was a 1st round pick, 2nd overall pick, DROY and Pro Bowl as a rookie. He's only 24 years old and still on his rookie contract. Missed time with an ACL the last two years, but healthy now. THAT guy went for a 3rd.

With that in mind, it's pretty hard to argue we could've gotten more than a 6th for Cleveland. It's just the nature of trading in the NFL. Draft picks are way, WAY overvalued. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Chase Young was a 1st round pick, 2nd overall pick, DROY and Pro Bowl as a rookie. He's only 24 years old and still on his rookie contract. Missed time with an ACL the last two years, but healthy now. THAT guy went for a 3rd.

With that in mind, it's pretty hard to argue we could've gotten more than a 6th for Cleveland. It's just the nature of trading in the NFL. Draft picks are way, WAY overvalued. 
The success rate of 6th round picks receiving second contracts is somewhere around 16%. Cleveland has been a mostly healthy, very solid 25 year old starter. We are still technically in it and I'd rather have just kept him to give our paper thin line some versatility and depth than take a likely worthless 6th round pick 

The line has looked better with Risner, but I agree that the value of a 6th round pick is so low that I would have rather just kept him for depth and pick up a comp pick whenever he hit the market.

Quote: FWIW. Cleveland was the wrong piece in the wrong position.

It's only one play, I get it, 

IMO it's fair tell on how Cleveland is wired.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
The handwringing over lack of return from posters who openly shit on Cleveland the last few years is glorious. The logic seems to be "Cleveland is trash". But also, "Kwesi is trash because he couldn't trade Cleveland who is trash for a valuable pick."

Hey fellas, just a reminder, you may be able to delete posts you've made. But that doesn't delete your comments when someone quoted you. 
I don't recall anyone on here shitting on Cleveland (would that be a Cleveland steamer?) Bradbury, absolutely...Ingram, definitely. I don't recall anybody bashing on Clevelands play which had been mostly very solid during his tenure here in Minnesota. 

Still surprised though at the lack of return for a guy who has been a good starter for us and still only 25 years old! So yeah, I think it was another trash trade by Mensah 

There's the revisionist history we've come to expect from the interwebs GMs of the world who aren't happy unless the team makes the moves they'd make. We get it, you don't like the GM.P

No one ever shit on Cleveland? That's rich, he was whipping boy at guard pre Ingram. Fun fact, in an interview today Pederson said they got a good backup lineman. Backup on an expiring contract who was unlikely to be brought back. Boy oh did the Vikes get fleeced. 
Truth. When you come with receipts, those that have agendas always pivot. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:

i dont recall anybody shitting on Cleveland,  I have said that I thought he was a better RG than LG,  but honestly, the guy never got much discussion here that I recall.
Some posters definitely shit on Cleveland, zero doubt about it. He was getting horrible PFF ratings not that long ago. 

Quote: @Tyr said:
The line has looked better with Risner, but I agree that the value of a 6th round pick is so low that I would have rather just kept him for depth and pick up a comp pick whenever he hit the market.
Agree. The comp is what it is, but I'd rather have kept him as well. Injuries happen. The team must feel good about Blake Brandel as their swing guard. 

the Vikings designated Chris Reed to return from the reserve/ non-football injury list as well… which may or may not shed more light on the Ezra Cleveland trade.