Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleveland out means Risner in
Quote: @bigbone62 said:
The handwringing over lack of return from posters who openly shit on Cleveland the last few years is glorious. The logic seems to be "Cleveland is trash". But also, "Kwesi is trash because he couldn't trade Cleveland who is trash for a valuable pick."

Hey fellas, just a reminder, you may be able to delete posts you've made. But that doesn't delete your comments when someone quoted you. 
I don't recall anyone on here shitting on Cleveland (would that be a Cleveland steamer?) Bradbury, absolutely...Ingram, definitely. I don't recall anybody bashing on Clevelands play which had been mostly very solid during his tenure here in Minnesota. 

Still surprised though at the lack of return for a guy who has been a good starter for us and still only 25 years old! So yeah, I think it was another trash trade by Mensah 

Quote: @JR44 said:
So for the record we have now traded two starting OL for 6th rounders, two guys who for a 6th were solid backups to keep on the team.  The guard that needed to go was Ingram, but obviously Kwesi is going to trade Rick's 2nd rounder before admitting he messed up.  If I was another team's GM, I would be constantly calling Kwesi for trades.  

Ingram is on a rookie deal and is under contract for 2 more years.  Cleveland was under contract for 9 more games. Not to mention Ingram has looked serviceable basically since we started winning games.  Guess it takes time to transition from college to the NFL.

Wasn't Cleveland free to walk with no compensation soon? Or am I missing some leverage the Vikings had but didnt apply? 

Not sure if there was any League compensation and what it might have been?

With Ingram improving and Risner a better pass blocker, I think we have a better iol vs y.ago at least for the amount of times we pass each game. 

From PFF:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS G EZRA CLEVELAND → JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
  • Trade compensation: Sixth-round pick
Jaguars: GoodMany expected the Jaguars to add pass-rush help, but this is a sharp move in the meantime. Jaguars guard/tackle Walker Little has dealt with a few injuries this season, as has veteran right guard Brandon Scherff, so the team gets great swing guard depth here to protect Trevor Lawrence in case it becomes necessary. Cleveland was also a tackle in college if that comes into play, though we’d imagine Little will be the reserve swing tackle.
Cleveland is earning a career-high 72.3 pass-blocking grade so far in 2023 but has yet to hit a 55.0 mark for a full season, which is the reason this trade compensation is so little despite his solid grading profile this year. Cleveland has four straight seasons of earning run-blocking grades of 67.5 or better and over 3,000 snaps of experience on his rookie contract. The former second-round pick is a great depth piece for Jacksonville going forward.
Vikings: Below averageCleveland was replaced in the starting lineup by veteran Dalton Risner, who is not quite as good of a run-blocker in space but is a far superior pass-blocker who also brings a nastiness and edge to his game.
Nonetheless, a sixth-round pick and nothing else from a legitimate Super Bowl contender for a starting-caliber guard, even in a contract year, is a fairly underwhelming return for Minnesota.

ARIZONA CARDINALS QB JOSH DOBBS, SEVENTH-ROUND PICK → MINNESOTA VIKINGS
  • Trade compensation: Sixth-round pick
Vikings: GoodHow can you not love Josh Dobbs getting another starting opportunity? Dobbs will have to acclimate to another team and playbook very quickly, as he did preparing for Week 1 with the Cardinals in merely two weeks after getting traded from the Cleveland Browns, but two connections could be key here.
First, Cardinals head coach Jonathan Gannon was with the Minnesota Vikings from 2014 to 2017, so perhaps he was able to provide some perspective on the organization. Second, Dobbs shares an agent with Kirk Cousins, so the two probably know each other already, and now Cousins can mentor him when he feels up for it following his Achilles injury.
The Vikings don’t completely give up on their season, and superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson can return to play with a solid and established quarterback the rest of the way.
Cardinals: GoodArizona traded a fifth-round pick for Dobbs and a seventh-round pick before the season, and they now receive a sixth-round pick for Dobbs and a seventh about three months later. Starting quarterback Kyler Murray has been a full practice participant for a week now, and rookie Clayton Tune could make a spot start or two in the meantime.
Arizona got a lot out of Dobbs’ time with the team. Dobbs had a low pressure-to-sack rate of 15.9% that ranked 12th on the year, helping first-round rookie Paris Johnson learn the game as he blocked for a quarterback who didn’t invite pressure. Rookie wide receiver Michael Wilson has also gotten his career off to a fast start with 25 receptions, 401 yards and two touchdowns while earning a 70.5 grade on the season. These little things matter as the Cardinals execute what so far looks to be a nearly flawless franchise reset.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
The handwringing over lack of return from posters who openly shit on Cleveland the last few years is glorious. The logic seems to be "Cleveland is trash". But also, "Kwesi is trash because he couldn't trade Cleveland who is trash for a valuable pick."

Hey fellas, just a reminder, you may be able to delete posts you've made. But that doesn't delete your comments when someone quoted you. 
I don't recall anyone on here shitting on Cleveland (would that be a Cleveland steamer?) Bradbury, absolutely...Ingram, definitely. I don't recall anybody bashing on Clevelands play which had been mostly very solid during his tenure here in Minnesota. 

Still surprised though at the lack of return for a guy who has been a good starter for us and still only 25 years old! So yeah, I think it was another trash trade by Mensah 

There's the revisionist history we've come to expect from the interwebs GMs of the world who aren't happy unless the team makes the moves they'd make. We get it, you don't like the GM.P

No one ever shit on Cleveland? That's rich, he was whipping boy at guard pre Ingram. Fun fact, in an interview today Pederson said they got a good backup lineman. Backup on an expiring contract who was unlikely to be brought back. Boy oh did the Vikes get fleeced. 

Comp seems a little low. Former 2nd rounder, probably average to above average LG. Really good run blocker. Thought you could get a 4th out of that. But the fact that he has to be paid after the season probably kept his comp down. 

@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:

There's the revisionist history we've come to expect from the interwebs GMs of the world who aren't happy unless the team makes the moves they'd make. We get it, you don't like the GM.P

No one ever shit on Cleveland? That's rich, he was whipping boy at guard pre Ingram. Fun fact, in an interview today Pederson said they got a good backup lineman. Backup on an expiring contract who was unlikely to be brought back. Boy oh did the Vikes get fleeced. 
Regardless of what anybody thinks of the GM, it was underwhelming value (read above) in trade return by most accounts 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Wasn't Cleveland free to walk with no compensation soon? Or am I missing some leverage the Vikings had but didnt apply? 

With Ingram improving and Risner a better pass blocker, I think we have a better iol vs y.ago at least for the amount of times we pass each game. 
This and what AGR said.  

KOC obviously is a sling the rock Offense.  Risner fits way better than Cleveland, and has been said Cleveland was not going to get paid by us with Oneil and Darrisaw getting top $. Hell Risner may not get the offer he wants and moves on. That will make G a potential pick, which tends to be a good value in 2-4 or even Brandel being handed the job next year. 

@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:

i dont recall anybody shitting on Cleveland,  I have said that I thought he was a better RG than LG,  but honestly, the guy never got much discussion here that I recall.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Yes. The line played better when Cleveland went out. And the Vikings would have been fools to sign for what an extension would cost. Shame they didn't see what he could have been as a tackle, but that wasn't necessary.