Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has happened to the Viking's O-line?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
I’d be curious to see someone who grades OLines explain what’s
going on.  The first few games were just
bad.  Cousins was the most hit QB in the
league.  Running game horrible.  Last couple games, very solid pass protection.  I think our run blocking has been trending
upwards, but nowhere near good.  Does
everything just feel weird because we’re passing on 2/3’s of the plays?
QB hits aren't just on the OL. The QB shares some of that blame, if he holds the ball too long. And God knows Cousins has no problem standing in the pocket long enough to give his receivers time to get open. 

I think a more informative metric is pocket time and QB hurries, and the Vikings ranked decent in both categories before the 49ers game.
I think our struggles early in the year were a combination
of things.  There was way too many
completely unblocked rushers.  I’m not
sure who’s fault they were, but they were there.  I think the playcalling was bad in the sense
that all the plays were long developing plays, and we didn’t really have many successful
counters to pressure.  I also think
Cousins wasn’t really understanding the offense and how it relates to the
defense and would hold on to the ball too long.  I also think that our complete inability/lack of desire to run, really let defenses pin their ears back.

That said, I’ve never seen anyone do a deep dive on our issues
where they quantified the different problems.  The OLine certainly wasn't providing the level of protection that Cousins was getting recently.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
league.  Running game horrible.  Last couple games, very solid pass protection.  I think our run blocking has been trending
QB hits aren't just on the OL. The QB shares some of that blame, if he holds the ball too long. And God knows Cousins has no problem standing in the pocket long enough to give his receivers time to get open. 

I think a more informative metric is pocket time and QB hurries, and the Vikings ranked decent in both categories before the 49ers game.
sure who’s fault they were, but they were there.  I think the playcalling was bad in the sense
that all the plays were long developing plays, and we didn’t really have many successful
defense and would hold on to the ball too long.  I also think that our complete inability/lack of desire to run, really let defenses pin their ears back.

where they quantified the different problems.  The OLine certainly wasn't providing the level of protection that Cousins was getting recently.

Earlier this year, the Vikings biggest problem was picking up the blitz. That can be on the QB, the center, any of the linemen, the TE or even a RB. And I think the responsibility for that is different on every play, so it's super hard for a fan to know.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1716801672993759246
That last one is interesting.  Love this view of Kirk coming out of a pile of bodies to make the 3rd down completion.  As Baldy sez, how does he stay on his feet?

Well IMO it is the O-line.  Risner and O'Neill kinda get beat, but they don't just give up and resign to help their QB up.  They put one last shove on their guy even as their feet are tangling, bumping into Kirk and that gives him enough time to make an off-platform throw.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

Earlier this year, the Vikings biggest problem was picking up the blitz. That can be on the QB, the center, any of the linemen, the TE or even a RB. And I think the responsibility for that is different on every play, so it's super hard for a fan to know.
One more thing. Don't forget Bradbury is playing now. And calling out blitzes and blocking schemes and double teams is one of the center's biggest responsibilities. Not sure if PFF recognizes that in their grades or not, but in the 49er game you could hear Bradbury clear as day calling out numbers. Not sure that I heard that much from Schlottmann, and even if he did, who knows if he was right. Just that could make a big difference.

This is what continuity actually looks like.

Vikings Oline stoned the DPOY.

And the "how lethal can Cousins be in a clean pocket be ", debate got answered, rather neatly.

No AD or  Cook since 2007
No Thielen/Diggs. Since 2014.
And now no JJ, for the first time since he arrived in 2020.

Point being, Cousins is shredding  defensive coverages he's never seen before as a Viking.

I would rather improve over the season and peak at the end with a winning record (going into the playoffs) vs. winning a lot early and collapsing at the end of seasons due to overconfidence, mental lapses or worse...injuries.  Yes, I think this OL has jelled and I think that the BFlo defense has finally shown up, albeit almost halfway through the season.