Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lame Football Observations: Chargers
Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@ThunderGod said:
l just hope ownership has the balls to tank and get some decent player and draft ammo if we have only one win by the draft desdline.
if they don’t, then i dont expect to see a Super Bowl before i die.
Tanking doesn't take balls.  It's a spineless gutless move...

Maybe “balls” is the wrong choice of words but i still say if you get to the trade deadline and you have only one win, you better start figuring you better start getting something for Cousins and Hunter and quit adding second and third rate players to this team hoping for improvement.

I still think the defense is better this year than last year but the lack of in-game adjustments is once again glaring and painful. When Philly is running the ball 10x in a row and Keenan Allen is catching 18 passes, it’s infuriating to see no adjustments made to at least force the ball or play to go somewhere else.

And Kirk, yeah. He’s playing very well and one tough SOB so it’s hard to knock him too much, but he’s absolutely the one friend you everyone has with all the degrees, the excellent career, and the huge intellect. But put them in a sticky situation and the total lack of common sense/“street smarts” becomes obvious.

Roster needs (and has needed) a major shakeup. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said

Disagree a bit about the run game. They ran the ball well inside and out. What sticks in my mind are all the chunk runs up the middle. I'd say Mattison is probably more effective inside and Chandler outside. Vikings OL run blocked well in this one. 

Again, there used to be a site with run efficiency for different holes but it is now a pay site.  From my casual observation, the % of successful runs to the outside is higher than between the tackles.  Yes, the Vikes don't run many outside runs -- perhaps because it is not Mattison's strength.

We had success running against the Chargers so far who have a defense as bad as ours.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
We had success running against the Chargers so far who have a defense as bad as ours.  
I couldn't believe we didn't run it more toward the end. It was obvious the line had worn them down, we were getting chunk yardage in the run game.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Some good stuff, VO. 

The one at the end of the game was far worse. Imagine if that ball were not tipped and picked? Then the mistake is even MORE glaring. Vikings had 33 seconds. They let the clock run down to 12 seconds before snapping and throwing to Hock. Now there's 7 seconds. Time for one more play. If the Vikings had spiked it instead, it would've been 2nd down with plenty of time (about 25 seconds) to run three more plays. 
Upon further review, there is no guarantee this is a TD even if Hock catches it. See clip below. And if he didn't score, time would've expired. Imagine the outrage if that had happened. Vikings on the 1 ft line as the clock strikes zero. 

https://twitter.com/Vikeologist/status/1...29973?s=20

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:
I couldn't believe we didn't run it more toward the end. It was obvious the line had worn them down, we were getting chunk yardage in the run game.
Agreed but this isn't just an "us" problem. Last night Philly was running all over TB but had multiple drives stall because they kept going for deep passes. QBs want to sling it, WRs want the ball, and coaches want to score. I understand the temptation but when the running game is working I do wish KO would lean on it a lot more than he does.

Quote: @kmillard said:
Not enough horses on defense and especially the line. I think secondary players are either perceived as good or bad depending on the front 7. The eagles haven't drafted a cb in the first 2 rounds since 2008. Food for thought.
This.  Coupled with poor design, it is a recipe for disaster.

People bag on Zimmer, but the man could design a defense.  Yeah it got away from him without Hunter and scrap heap CBs, but after years of watching Frazier and Co send LBs into the pile of blockers, it was nice to see a defense that could get people home.  Another angle on that D, BRob was pretty damn good at learning the teams protection calls and then calling it on the field.  Our D played coy for the first drive or two but once BRob learned the calls, it was game on.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:
Agreed but this isn't just an "us" problem. Last night Philly was running all over TB but had multiple drives stall because they kept going for deep passes. QBs want to sling it, WRs want the ball, and coaches want to score. I understand the temptation but when the running game is working I do wish KO would lean on it a lot more than he does.
But you are overlooking the big difference: Jalen Hurts. So you run a pass play that doesn't work. Hurts can still get you there scrambling for a first down. Cousins not so much. This is why mobility is so important in today's NFL. It doesn't have to be predominate, but it has to be a part of the skill set. Has to.

Couple of additional tidbits from SI:
  • Minnesota needs to find some pass rush production from someone other than Hunter, who recorded his fifth sack of the season on Sunday. Maybe it'll get some of that from Carter; the undrafted rookie had three pressures and two QB hits on just 14 snaps in his NFL debut.
  • For the first time this season, Brian Asamoah joined fellow 2022 draft picks Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth Jr. in only playing on special teams.  [This draft class keeps looking worse and worse. -- the Kwesi honeymoon certainly didn't last long.  Frankly, I am not certain I want Kwesi picking the QB of the future; KOC's input or not.]