Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Risner to Minnesota
Quote: @comet52 said:
Maybe the timing is just about the obvious - with 4 accrued years, Risner is covered by the vested veteran rule which guarantees his entire season's money if he's on the roster in week one.  So no signing. 

Week two on a three day turnaround, you aren't going to have time to bring a new guy in.  So it happens now in week three.

So if he's injured and done for the year, or stinks and gets cut, they don't have to shell out the whole 4 million.
Risner may have also thought I'll let you guys play Vea and Carter. I'll come in after that and look like a hero. 

I think it’s just a no brainer.  Udoh is out for the season leaving us a hole
on the OLine and an open roster spot.

Risner gives us some position flexibility at backup for all
the positions if we need it and can compete with Ingram for the starting spot.

That said, it’s a little bit of a mixed message, where it
kind of signals that we’re “competing” in 2023, but the rest of the roster has
a bunch of compromises that kind of limit how competitive we can be.

For 2024 and beyond, if I were Cousins, I’d take a $10M
paycut and demand that the team add the best FA interior veteran lineman to the
group.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
lol, not this board but in other locations, you'd think this signing was like getting Randall McDaniel. Whether you like PFF grades or not, Risner's over the last 3 seasons were not good. He was unsigned for a reason. I'm usually excited about stuff like this but I just don't see this moving the needle much.

And KOC can act now like they wanted Risner before....lol....not the case. But Ingram sucks so badly they decided in desperation to pull the trigger. At least they are trying something, but the much better way would have been to plan to Ingram's replacement in the offseason.
I'm excited about the signing because he's been durable and disciplined. Very few injuries and penalties. He's not the world's best run blocker, but his pass blocking has been consistently good. Take away the Jax game last year and he was damn near elite. Right now, we need that desperately. 

And it's going to look a lot better than it really is simply because we're not playing the Bucs and Eagles anymore. The Chargers and Panthers don't have anywhere near the inside rush as those teams. 
Well, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you. #1 he's been sitting there, unsigned. Not great. Second, a team let him walk (Denver), again not ideal. Third, KOC mentions on the news of the signing that 'they need to run the ball to set up the pass' and you mention how much he sucks in the run game. Its also going to take some time to get him up to speed and game shape, I highly doubt he plays Sunday. 

Like I mentioned, I usually get amped over signings like this but I'm really going to have to see it on the field first.

I don't think anyone expects Risner to come in and solve all our problems. Least of all me. But my point through this whole thing has been about incremental improvement. 5% here, 10% there. Whether that came from Ingram going from year 1 to 2, or signing a guy like Risner, makes no difference to me. 

I suspect Risner either sits or gets a handful of snaps this Sunday and then is ready to go the following week. Right now, we don't even know where he's going to play. But one factor in his favor is that he's been in zone offenses his entire career and his OL coach in Minnesota is the same guy as it was in Denver. 
Agree, that Risner is not a savior for the whole OL but it should pay huge dividends in the passing game protection IMO.  Again, Ingram gave up the most QB hits last year (70+) and is not doing much better this year.  If Risner can reduce that by 20 that would be great for Kirk and the offense.  Now for the run game??  The whole OL seems to suck at RB.  

Quote: @medaille said:

group.
I agree with your last sentence. I hope he does that.

But I don't agree that it sends a mixed message to a non-competitive team. It's far too early to suggest this team will not be competing for the playoffs. Hell, if you take the 7 turnovers away, which I think is an NFL record, this team is very likely 2-0. Now I know you can say that about every game or group of games, but it also happens to be true. As I said a couple days ago, this may change after week 8, but for now anyway, we're buyers, not sellers. 

@medaille said:

group.

But I don't agree that it sends a mixed message to a non-competitive team. It's far too early to suggest this team will not be competing for the playoffs. Hell, if you take the 7 turnovers away, which I think is an NFL record, this team is very likely 2-0. Now I know you can say that about every game or group of games, but it also happens to be true. As I said a couple days ago, this may change after week 8, but for now anyway, we're buyers, not sellers. 
I think if we were prioritizing being competitive in 2023,
you’d see us be more aggressive in acquiring talent on the OL/DL/CB.  I think you can categorize our strategy for
2023 as having extremely tight purse strings and filling a lot of our 2022 weaknesses
with cheap veterans and cheap inexperienced young guys.  I’d speculate that KAM knows that 2023 was
always going to be limited due to the dead cap from all our cuts and wants to
prioritize 2024 by squishing all the cap damage into 2023.  Also perhaps the team
is limited in funds due to the soccer team they acquired, but I think that’s
speculation.
I do agree that we’re gong to be “competitive” to be in the
playoffs, but I don’t think we’re anywhere near having a roster that’s competitive
for a SB, but I don't think we're going to investing heavily in a 1 year guy for 2023, but if fit's the long term plan, I think it's a possibility.

They can hire any and all veterans they want, but wont do squat until they hire a phenomenal coach that can coach them up

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

group.

I think if we were prioritizing being competitive in 2023,
you’d see us be more aggressive in acquiring talent on the OL/DL/CB.  I think you can categorize our strategy for
2023 as having extremely tight purse strings and filling a lot of our 2022 weaknesses
with cheap veterans and cheap inexperienced young guys.  I’d speculate that KAM knows that 2023 was
always going to be limited due to the dead cap from all our cuts and wants to
prioritize 2024 by squishing all the cap damage into 2023.  Also perhaps the team
is limited in funds due to the soccer team they acquired, but I think that’s
speculation.
I do agree that we’re gong to be “competitive” to be in the
playoffs, but I don’t think we’re anywhere near having a roster that’s competitive
for a SB, but I don't think we're going to investing heavily in a 1 year guy for 2023, but if fit's the long term plan, I think it's a possibility.

I think we were as aggressive as we could be without compromising the long-term plan. Yes, the Vikings are trying to have their cake and eat it too, but that is the nature of competitive rebuilding. 

I also don't believe that you can be a playoff team and not competitive for a Super Bowl. I mean, they almost beat Philly in Philly despite a collection of ridiculous mishaps, any ONE of which going the other way changes the game significantly.  And I'm pretty sure Philly is a Super Bowl contender. The Lions, who lost to Seattle, beat the Chiefs. Contender. Probably no team was picked to win the Super Bowl more than the Bengals, and they're 0-2. Just sayin...

Risner seems like he could fit right in; seems very likable.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgsykVVoME

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Risner seems like he could fit right in; seems very likable.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgsykVVoME

He sure is. Definitely likable and he'll fit in for sure. Hope he plays well.

@medaille said:

group.

I think if we only take one turnover away from each game we are 2-0.