Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QBs Who Can Put Their Team On Their Back
How many current NFL QBs can put the team on their shoulders and carry them to the playoffs? I'm talking guys with either nondescript, for the most part, skill players around him, or mediocre defenses, or QBs who despite any circumstances are going to give your team a shot as long as there is time on the clock.

It's a short list IMO.

Brady, obviously. Rodgers, sure. After that? Maybe Ryan, but he's got a great cast of skill players around him. Carr...great OL and WRs...Wilson has benefited from a great D...who am I missing?

Brady and Rodgers are the only two current QBs IMO.

Maybe Brees, at least a few years ago. Roethlisberger can get really hot, but do you credit that to his RB and WRs? It's awfully hard to find a QB carrying the team without some skill around him. I might even debate whether Rodgers fits: any time he doesn't have Jordy Nelson or a couple of their OL get hurt, his performance drops and the excuses start flying.

8 consecutive years in the playoffs for the Rodgers led packers...

Ben has arguably the #1 RB and #1 WR in the game... 

I think there’s two different things
that I would consider putting a team on his back:

Being an elite QB in terms of reading the
defense and having accuracy, such that they are raising the play of everyone
around him by putting the ball exactly in the right spot by reading the
defense, knowing where to go with the ball to minimize turnovers and maximize
production, and to accurately throwing the ball.

I also think there’s a more intangible aspect,
which is taking responsibility when times get tough.  Having enough confidence that it bleeds into
the other players.  When they start to
question their own and their teams abilities, the confidence exuded by the QB
reassures them that all is fine, and that hardwork will still lead to victory,
despite what external circumstances might suggest.  They trust the players around them to make
plays, and the players rise to the occasion and make plays.  Brett Favre to me is the classical stereotype
of this.  He was a gunslinger and made a
lot of mistakes that cost his teams games, but he was so confident and the
players around him rose their game to new levels in his presence.  You get Lewis making that dramatic
game-winning catch in the end zone.  Rice
having the best year of his career, with nothing else really even close.

I don’t think either one requires that the surrounding
players be mediocre to prove their capability, as it’s more about getting the
maximum production out of the players they have.  Would Brady have better numbers with
Moss?  Of course.  Does it mean he’s not putting the team on his
back when they are shining as well? 
Absolutely not. 

I'll say this: nobody in the last 15+ years has been a more elite QB with the worst offensive line than Aaron Rodgers. You can bake muffins, pull them out of the oven and let them cool with all the time Tom Brady has. Big Ben is a horse, love that guy, and he's also had a few shitty offensive lines to deal with. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'll say this: nobody in the last 15+ years has been a more elite QB with the worst offensive line than Aaron Rodgers. You can bake muffins, pull them out of the oven and let them cool with all the time Tom Brady has. Big Ben is a horse, love that guy, and he's also had a few shitty offensive lines to deal with. 
Wait a minute...  You're saying Rodgers has had a bad offensive line the majority of his career?  I would strongly disagree with that.

Brady and Rogers are the gimme choices here.  One other guy that needs consideration is Cam.  Last year was a train wreck of a season and he was playing hurt.  But go back two years and he absolutely has carried his team to victories with his play.  I'm expecting a bounce back year for Cam, this year.  If he gets going, he can be a scary handful to deal with.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
Wait a minute...  You're saying Rodgers has had a bad offensive line the majority of his career?  I would strongly disagree with that.
Its been inconsistent and at times, injury plagued. Not every year of his career certainly. In fact, a few years its been extremely good. But he's done more with less on an offensive line than any of the other elite QBs....the only one close is Big Ben. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
The Packers offensive lines have not been good.
I wont dig too deep but these are just the last 7 years
2009- 32nd
2010- 19
2011- 21
2012- 31
2013- 24
2014- 10
2015- 28
2016- 16