Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0-2
During the season, you can eventually overcome fumbles and stupid shit like that.

But you cant overcome getting over-powered in the trenches.  Maybe with Bradbury and Darrisaw, its a little better - but the lines keep this team from being at the level of the top 3 in nfc (Phi,Dal,SF).  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
And both losses to NFC teams. Crazy bad turnovers. Injuries to the offensive line that can't afford it. D-line issues. Cousins keeps slinging it despite getting pounded. Looks bleak. The team has some talent, but lack it in 2 very important areas: iOL and iDL. 

Anyway......is it too early to talk NFL Draft?  :p
It's never too early to talk draft. Witness the several draft threads already going. 

But 0-2 presents an interesting dilemma regarding the draft. It's too early now obviously, but if the Vikings can't get healthy and can't stop shooting themselves in the foot, this team could flip the switch from a '23 to a '24 focus. 

Trade deadline is Oct. 31st. Vikings will have played 8 games. I think if we're 3-5 or worse at that point, we could see them move a player like Hunter for '24 draft capital.
I dont even think you wait that long,   if they cant turn it around in the next 2 games,  the season is pretty much over.  sure 1-3 or even 0-4 could somehow turn into a wild card,  and maybe the team will catch fire,  but lets look at the odds and just start selling early.  the return will be better 4 games in than 8 games in,  so why wait for the deadline and other teams looking to dump their players at the deadline?
Because it's unrealistic. It's very likely the Vikings think of themselves as a playoff team and will operate as such until it's out of reach. Right now the Vikings are more likely to buy than sell players. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
And both losses to NFC teams. Crazy bad turnovers. Injuries to the offensive line that can't afford it. D-line issues. Cousins keeps slinging it despite getting pounded. Looks bleak. The team has some talent, but lack it in 2 very important areas: iOL and iDL. 

It's never too early to talk draft. Witness the several draft threads already going. 

But 0-2 presents an interesting dilemma regarding the draft. It's too early now obviously, but if the Vikings can't get healthy and can't stop shooting themselves in the foot, this team could flip the switch from a '23 to a '24 focus. 

Trade deadline is Oct. 31st. Vikings will have played 8 games. I think if we're 3-5 or worse at that point, we could see them move a player like Hunter for '24 draft capital.
I dont even think you wait that long,   if they cant turn it around in the next 2 games,  the season is pretty much over.  sure 1-3 or even 0-4 could somehow turn into a wild card,  and maybe the team will catch fire,  but lets look at the odds and just start selling early.  the return will be better 4 games in than 8 games in,  so why wait for the deadline and other teams looking to dump their players at the deadline?
Because it's unrealistic. It's very likely the Vikings think of themselves as a playoff team and will operate as such until it's out of reach. Right now the Vikings are more likely to buy than sell players. 
anybody looking at this team and thinking playoffs are the unrealistic ones... what was the stat  0-2 start equals an 11% shot at the playoffs?  sure its likely a little higher now with the extra game and half the division making the playoffs,  but 0-2 is 0-2,  and still facing a very tough schedule,  and thats reality.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I got a hunch that by the end of the season, statistically, the 22 & 23 seasons will average 8-9 records.  The number of 1 score wins will also average out.  The only positive thing is the improvement in the D, they can get a stop, last year they couldn't, hope that's not just a dead cat bounce.  
So you’re predicting that we’re going to have two very improbable
seasons back to back where every bounce will go the wrong way and we’ll end up 3-14?  Like what are the odds of 2 statistically unlikely things both happening?
 It’s really, really unlikely.

Quote: @medaille said:
@BigAl99 said:
I got a hunch that by the end of the season, statistically, the 22 & 23 seasons will average 8-9 records.  The number of 1 score wins will also average out.  The only positive thing is the improvement in the D, they can get a stop, last year they couldn't, hope that's not just a dead cat bounce.  
seasons back to back where every bounce will go the wrong way and we’ll end up 3-14?  Like what are the odds of 2 statistically unlikely things both happening?
kinda like 7 turnovers in 2 games,  really really unlikely,  but here we are.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I think in Kwesi’s mind this is a rebuilding year with
potential bonus playoff games.  I think
if we were in win now mode, we would have done more to shore up our weak
areas.  I think if we make any trades, it
will be to get rid of guys that aren’t in the long term plan and bring in guys
that would be in the long term plan.  I
think it’s more about making progress towards 2024 and beyond than it is to
maximize our 2023 potential.
I think Hunter (not a 3-4 scheme fit?) and Smith (Old) could
be on the trade block.  I don’t think
Cousins would be as I think we’re going to keep him until we draft a guy.

It is unfortunate cause we have two guys in Cousins and JJ who have been putting it all out not the field on every play and giving 1000%, they deserve better than what the guys around them are giving especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

We talked about the team not looking prepared to play with Zimmer, this team under KOC and especially Flores has taken it to another level.  Extremely poorly coached and prepared team.  At least KOC made in game adjustments, not sure where Flores was last night, Philly said we are going to run the ball up the middle every play until you stop it, he crowded the line once and stuffed it, other than that we looked like we were in a prevent defense all night for a running attack.  Beyond overrated DC with a terrible reputation with his players and for not taking responsibility, it will get ugly on that side of the ball if we keep losing. 

Quote: @medaille said:
@BigAl99 said:

I would say last year was the improbable, 9-8 or 8-9 was the more probable.  This year with a harder schedule, how things have started and the lack of personnel up-grades we will be closer to 3-14 than 8-9 or 9-8.  So yeah I will stand by my assessment and keep cheering for the purple.   We are all aware that last years record will not directly effect this years record, but indirectly lower draft positions, harder schedule and the probable emergence of one or more NFC north teams.  I am not that optimistic and would love to be wrong.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

anybody looking at this team and thinking playoffs are the unrealistic ones... what was the stat  0-2 start equals an 11% shot at the playoffs?  sure its likely a little higher now with the extra game and half the division making the playoffs,  but 0-2 is 0-2,  and still facing a very tough schedule,  and thats reality.
It might be your reality. It's always your reality. But I can guarantee you it's not the team's. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
It is unfortunate cause we have two guys in Cousins and JJ who have been putting it all out not the field on every play and giving 1000%, they deserve better than what the guys around them are giving especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

We talked about the team not looking prepared to play with Zimmer, this team under KOC and especially Flores has taken it to another level.  Extremely poorly coached and prepared team.  At least KOC made in game adjustments, not sure where Flores was last night, Philly said we are going to run the ball up the middle every play until you stop it, he crowded the line once and stuffed it, other than that we looked like we were in a prevent defense all night for a running attack.  Beyond overrated DC with a terrible reputation with his players and for not taking responsibility, it will get ugly on that side of the ball if we keep losing. 
Strongly disagree that KO is doing a bad job. We have so many turnovers— what’s he supposed to do? KJ is dropping passes, Mattison isn’t Cook, and the line he has to work with is bad and injured. I’m fine knocking him for any role he has in roster management but I don’t see what more he could’ve done last night to get a win.

I do agree the playcalling in the second half of the Bucs game was weak, but otherwise I think he’s doing fine.

Agreed about Kirk and JJ. The rest of the team is letting them down. The catch last night that JJ had where Slay was all over it was amazing. In a league full of absolute studs, JJ is a cut above.