Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Kirk to the Jets NOW
Tony Gonzales suggested it in the post game talking about the jets, if the jets falter in the next few games.  Trading for Kirk.   
The Vikings are not built for the post season, they need more/better pieces.  (period)

But....but...Jefferson will throw a fit about it and won't re-sign with us 

This isn't a contending team.  I don't need to watch them go 8-9 this year.  I'll be fine with 4-13 and a ticket in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.  I'd trade him to the Jets if the option came along.

Quote: @comet52 said:
This isn't a contending team.  I don't need to watch them go 8-9 this year.  I'll be fine with 4-13 and a ticket in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.  I'd trade him to the Jets if the option came along.
I've said from the beginning that we weren't one of the better teams in the conference and probably are a .500 team, so this "competitive rebuild" crap is a sham. Either trade your assets and keep the young guys you are building around, or go all in and try to get better. Unfortunately for us we lost a lot of pieces this offseason and it's kind of like we are in no man's land putting one foot in the pond. 

One thing to keep in kind though is while the first half of our schedule is brutal, we could really make up some ground in the second half. 

Ground wont mean anything.   TG was talking about the Jets trading during the bye week.  Things could change in 5 weeks... 

I think the org. feels these turnovers are the reason for the loss, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a Cousins trade. He also can veto any trade. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think the org. feels these turnovers are the reason for the loss, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a Cousins trade. He also can veto any trade. 
Yeah that's true.  But he might not mind if they are losing games while he gets sacked over and over.  I'm looking at the schedule and this team could be 3-4 games under .500 by the halfway point.  He might get to week 5 and decide being a Jet beats getting killed all night by Nick Bosa and the gang.

What's the point of keeping him around to maybe go .500 when you could get assets and a better draft position by dealing him?  It's like the delusion that this squad, with obvious holes all over the field, is somehow on track to compete for something and that fantasy trumps everything else.  

This was my feeling as soon as I heard the Jets didn't lose that first rounder next year.  Either they are all in or they aren't.  However of I was the GM of the Jets,  I dont do it.  QB takes so much,  I just don't know that you would see the value with no offseason to learn the plays, checks, route trees,  get your timing down with the receivers,  etc.

The only thing about this is that Kirk has a no-trade clause. Not sure he'd want to waive it for an in-season trade, even if it is to a contender.

Vikings gave up a 1st and conditional 4th for Sam Bradford in 2016. Slightly different situation. Vikes traded for Bradford in early September and Bradford had just signed a two year contract with the Eagles. Eagles paid a little more than half of Bradford's contract in the first year. Personally, I'd trade Cousins if they can get a 1st. We need all of the draft ammunition we can get. Sacrificing a probable mediocre year for a 10 year QB is worth it in my view.