Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLPA calls for elimination of artificial turf

NFLPA Executive Director Lloyd Howell added to the chorus of calls for the league to replace all artificial turf surfaces with natural grass in the wake of Aaron Rodgers torn Achillies."Moving all stadium fields to high quality natural grass surfaces is the easiest decision the NFL can make," Howell, who succeeded former Executive Director DeMaurice Smith in June, said in a statement. "The players overwhelming prefer it and the data is clear that grass is simply safer than artificial turf. It is an issue that has been near the top of the players' list during my team visits and one I have raised with the NFL."
On Monday night, New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers suffered a torn left Achilles tendon against the Buffalo Bills. The injury occurred at the Jets' home field, MetLife Stadium, which uses artificial turf.
In April, the union voiced its opposition to the use of artificial turf in stadiums via a letter written by former Cleveland Browns center (and current NFLPA President) JC Tretter. Citing data from 2012 until last season, Tretter highlights that "injury rates on synthetic surfaces were far higher than on natural surfaces."
One particular issue, noted by Tretter, Howell and Green Bay Packers offensive tackle David Bakhitiari, Rodgers' former teammate, is that when soccer exhibitions -- or, in the case of 2026, the FIFA Men's World Cup -- are played in NFL stadiums that typically utilize artificial turf, natural grass is switched in. MetLife Stadium, SoFi Stadium, AT&T Stadium, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Lumen Field, NRG Stadium and Gillette Stadium — all of which are set to host World Cup matches in 2026 — will replace their artificial turf with natural grass, the typical surface for international soccer.
"How many more players have to get hurt on ARTIFICIAL TURF??!," Bakhtiari said on X. "You care more about soccer players than us. You plan to remove all artificial turf for the World Cup coming up. So clearly it’s feasible. I’m sick of this..Do better!"
Prior to Rodgers' injury, MetLife Stadium had seen its share of injuries. Five San Francisco 49ers players suffering lower-body injuries in a 2020 matchup against the Jets, while then-Baltimore Ravens cornerback Kyle Fuller (torn ACL in 2022) and New York Giants wideout Sterling Sherpard (torn Achilles in 2021, torn ACL in 2022) have suffered serious injuries at the venue.
"While we know there is an investment to making this change, there is a bigger cost to everyone in our business if we keep losing our best players to unnecessary injuries," Howell said. "It makes no sense that stadiums can flip over to superior grass surfaces when the World Cup comes, or soccer clubs come to visit for exhibition games in the Sumer, but inferior artificial surfaces are acceptable for our own players."
"This is worth the investment and it simply needs to change now."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089309-nflpa-calls-for-elimination-of-artificial-turf-fields-to-avoid-unnecessary-injuries?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Never happen, how would all of the indoor stadiums be able to install grass fields?  If for some reason the league got this approved the league would have to foot the bill, asking owners or communities to absorb the cost like that not going to happen. 

Blah, blah and more blah. Never happen. Lloyd can talk all he wants. An almost 40 year old guy gets tackled and rips his ACL and now every stadium in the NFL is supposed to put in grass?? Please. 

IT was a pretty innocuous hit too..Even the ankle kinda grabbing the turf a bit didnt look gruesome in replay. 

I couldn't believe he got hurt on that play. 

I feel like I want someone to explain to me how it would end
up working in real life.  Are they expecting
us to grow grass outside and bring it inside in tiles?  In the winter are we supposed to build a
greenhouse in like Anoka or like in Kansas or someplace below the snow belt,
and then ship it to the stadium on Saturday to install on Sunday?  What about these outside stadiums that are a
mudfest by the end of the year?  I feel
like it’s not a convincing argument to state that it’s “grass or bust” when they
aren’t bringing up actionable solutions.

Rodgers “calf” on that leg was already injured?  Am I remembering that correct or making it
up?  Would grass have fixed this issue or
would he still have been injured because it was already weakened?

16% more injuries on turf than grass,  is that a significant number? i guess if its your acl or whatever it likely is,  but how many of those injuries would have happened on grass if the hit would have been the same?  its not like we dont see shit loads of injuries on grass at all other levels.  Maybe the focus should be on footwear that doesnt grip so much that it causes the injuries,  put it back on the players to protect their joints.  

Quote: @medaille said:
I feel like I want someone to explain to me how it would end
up working in real life.  Are they expecting
us to grow grass outside and bring it inside in tiles?  In the winter are we supposed to build a
greenhouse in like Anoka or like in Kansas or someplace below the snow belt,
and then ship it to the stadium on Saturday to install on Sunday?  What about these outside stadiums that are a
mudfest by the end of the year?  I feel
like it’s not a convincing argument to state that it’s “grass or bust” when they
aren’t bringing up actionable solutions.

Rodgers “calf” on that leg was already injured?  Am I remembering that correct or making it
up?
  Would grass have fixed this issue or
would he still have been injured because it was already weakened?
I recall that during OTA/CAMP/PRE-SEASON he had some injury on the right leg - and the some kind of pull or tweak on the left.

That left sided tweak didnt get too much press. I believe it was his left Achilles that tore Monday. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
16% more injuries on turf than grass,  is that a significant number? i guess if its your acl or whatever it likely is,  but how many of those injuries would have happened on grass if the hit would have been the same?  its not like we dont see shit loads of injuries on grass at all other levels.  Maybe the focus should be on footwear that doesnt grip so much that it causes the injuries,  put it back on the players to protect their joints.  
16% is a big #, so I would say yes, its significant statistically. 

HOWEVER; if there are 20% more games played on Turf than grass??? The 16% isnt as big a deal.

They need to normalize that % to have it make sense and be an insight. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
16% is a big #, so I would say yes, its significant statistically. 

HOWEVER; if there are 20% more games played on Turf than grass??? The 16% isnt as big a deal.

They need to normalize that % to have it make sense and be an insight. 

I believe its injuries per snap on each surface.  like i said however,  if the players want to lessen that chance,  then go with a less aggresive turf cleat so their is more give,  the sacrifice will be footing and ability to cut on a dime or possibly anchor as well,  but its really a matter that the players can take care of themselves.

When I fall and twist my ankle, its my own damn fault.

when Rodgers gets sacked.....the rules are changed
when he tears an achilles, its the turfs fault...

just change the rules and put a red jersey on him for games already

pussy