Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Jaren Hall analysis
lol, don't get too excited, its just my two cents. I watched the game yesterday in almost its entirety....was outside enjoying the weather and few beers and took it in. 
  • The offensive line he had to work with was atrocious, let's start there. So all the problems that a bad backup O-line engenders was there to deal with for him.
  • When he has a little time, he's got nice tools: accurate, good touch, plenty of arm. Stocky built young guy. 
  • He's still raw in reading a defense and locking in on primary WRer on a play. Typical young QB stuff. Tons to learn. Looks to run quickly.
  • Very good mobility and although I'm sure he was nervous with his first significant playing time, he was mostly calm. He'll step up in the pocket looking to pass downfield if he gets a second or two (few and far between yesterday). 
It's the 3rd preseason game where both teams had a lot of garbage playing out there, but I got a sense this kid might have a chance. He has playmaking ability. He was more accurate than I anticipated. To me, he looked so much better than Kellen Mond ever looked his rookie year (I know, a low bar). If he would have had the pass protection that the other QB had, he would have looked a ton better. I just felt like he had a bit of a presence. My guess is the team definitely keeps 3 QBs on their active roster to hold onto Hall. I saw some good things, although it was a mixed bag for sure which is to be expected. I don't know....there's something about him.

Fair analysis.

He didn't get a lot of time, but he also holds the ball too long, which most young QBs do. He has two things that are going to help him a lot. His accuracy is top level. And he can run. Once he gets more time in the offense and learns his progressions, and how to navigate a pocket without leaving it, he'll be better. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Fair analysis.

He didn't get a lot of time, but he also holds the ball too long, which most young QBs do. He has two things that are going to help him a lot. His accuracy is top level. And he can run. Once he gets more time in the offense and learns his progressions, and how to navigate a pocket without leaving it, he'll be better. 
Yep, he did hold the ball, but I'll tell you....nobody was open. Except where he could have had a TD pass if he looked back to his right after pump faking to his left and then kept looking in that direction, lmao. I think KOC even kidded him about that on the sideline right after. I can see his game getting much better with confidence and familiarity with the offense. Was so glad to see KOC play him the whole game, smart to give him some reps. I think there is real potential, JMO.

I was impressed at times with the kid...

I thought Wes did a nice job tailoring the offense to his current strengths, more bootlegs etc.

He had a couple of throws where I was "wow" with the arm strength and accuracy too. 

I agree, he feels further along than Mond at this point and he'll be on the 53 

Hard to evaluate given the lack of protection the first two games. He manufactured some protection with boots and designed roll outs, and looked much better. I liked his decision making in pulling the ball down and running rather than throwing up a pick. He also had a nice play where he looked off the defender then delivered an accurate pass.
Right now he looks like your typical later round rookie QB, with some potential. The odds are stacked against him. I just wonder what he would have looked like if he had the same protection Jordan Love had in the preseason.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Hard to evaluate given the lack of protection the first two games. He manufactured some protection with boots and designed roll outs, and looked much better. I liked his decision making in pulling the ball down and running rather than throwing up a pick. He also had a nice play where he looked off the defender then delivered an accurate pass.
Right now he looks like your typical later round rookie QB, with some potential. The odds are stacked against him. I just wonder what he would have looked like if he had the same protection Jordan Love had in the preseason.
The odds are definitely stacked against him, but I have a hunch he's going to have a long NFL career. Most likely as a career backup but I think he has a real good chance to beat out Mullens next year. 

Btw, Love is in his 4th season and the Packers played a lot of their starting line while he was in at QB. 

Gotta love his moving up in the pocket to gain extra time. His arm is so so but he got in a rythym in the 2 minute and was throwing dimes. 

You can see a difference from the first game to the third one. And yes I know it's hard to tell with the scrubs on the field at times but you can see him starting to settle in at times. I am not crowning him but I am not writing him off either. Time will tell. 

The game seems really fast for him right now and hopefully that is something that improves for him, but for now I haven't seen much improvement from game 1 to 3 in terms of his ability to go through his reads quickly and make decisive quick throws.  He reminds me of Taylor Heincke and I think he can be that kind of player (hopefully he stays away from kicking any windows).  I was really disappointed in his play at the end of the game, he could have easily run for the first down and needs to know he was well over the line when he threw the ball. 

Would think they will extend Kirk as Hall looks several years away and even if we draft a first round QB we will not be high enough to get someone who can step in and start.