Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The offensive line, no longer offensive
Quote: @Purplemachine said:
I agree. The thing is who and when does Rick value a player enough to pull the trigger to select him. I thought we got some fine players this year to fill holes at a couple spots. But I think we really need to do a "Dallas" and pay serious attention to our o-line sooner rather than later.
Yea, it is really hard to gauge the best approach in building an OL.  The league is filled with late round and even UDFA starting OL.  

I am not checking into details so going by memory but Dallas has a at least 3 starting OL that they picked in the first 2 rounds.
The Raiders really went the free agent route to start their rebuild about 5 years ago.  They had one of the worst offenses in the NFL even in Carr's first couple years (not pointing fingers because we still do).  The Raiders went out and signed Penn, a guy from KC I think then 2 years ago spent top money on Osemele and in the Carr draft grabbed Gabe Jackson (I think in the third round and they just extended to a big deal).

So Dallas did more top round draft picks while the Raiders did more free agent approach.  IMO - these are the two best OL in football.  When you look around at all the other team's OL they are littered with a complete mix of a top round guy, a late round guy, a free agent, and an UDFA - all over.

It does seem a little easier to find (draft,FA, UDFA) an above average Guard and Center as compared to either Tackle.  IMO - there are about 3 or 4 Top LT's and then the rest are average or below - huge gap in play.  RT is somewhat similar but quite as bad.  

The fact that we went out and bought two shiny new Tackles is great - key being both have been healthy and have played slightly above average.  There are not many consistently healthy slightly above average Tackle's in the NFL.  That all said, we still need depth.  I have no idea how Hill (LT) or Clemmings (RT) will look as backups but they might be key.

We all want all-pro's at every position but it can't happen.  I think we are taking the right approach to our OL rebuild.  Just because, a novice fan drafter like me really wanted Dawkins (T/G) from Temple, does not mean our staff/Spelly thought he was any good at all.  This draft was said to be very weak along the OL and from the looks of our needs vs what we drafted It looks like our brass agreed.

A healthy O-line is the key to improvement. Just being able to generate some type of chemistry with the guy next to you can go a long ways. When you're constantly moving parts around (especially in-game) you're just asking for missed assignments and mass confusion. Health protects against that. 

The pessimist in me still thinks the line struggles this upcoming season. It will take some time for them to find their groove with the new faces around. I think Reiff will be surprise some people and have a bigger impact on the left side than most think, which indirectly helps Boone. Overall I think the left side of the line will be above average. The issues begin at center and move to the right. In limited playing time last year I didn't see a ton to convince me that Easton is a starting center. Elflein has the talent but needs to adjust to NFL life. Although the goal is to move Berger to RG everything is thrown for a loop if he needs to rotate back to the center spot. If Berger moves back to center RG becomes a black hole for the time being unless someone proves themselves in camp. Remmers return to RT should be positive but I am skeptical he would be as effective as he was in 2015 without a strong RG next to him. 

Quote: @NFL Draft Guru said:
A healthy O-line is the key to improvement. Just being able to generate some type of chemistry with the guy next to you can go a long ways. When you're constantly moving parts around (especially in-game) you're just asking for missed assignments and mass confusion. Health protects against that. 

The pessimist in me still thinks the line struggles this upcoming season. It will take some time for them to find their groove with the new faces around. I think Reiff will be surprise some people and have a bigger impact on the left side than most think, which indirectly helps Boone. Overall I think the left side of the line will be above average. The issues begin at center and move to the right. In limited playing time last year I didn't see a ton to convince me that Easton is a starting center. Elflein has the talent but needs to adjust to NFL life. Although the goal is to move Berger to RG everything is thrown for a loop if he needs to rotate back to the center spot. If Berger moves back to center RG becomes a black hole for the time being unless someone proves themselves in camp. Remmers return to RT should be positive but I am skeptical he would be as effective as he was in 2015 without a strong RG next to him. 
Berger goes back to center... Sirles cements himself as the starting RG for the next 8 years.  booyah! 

I've been down on the OL for so long I find it almost impossible to get excited before seeing the proof.  I hope I am proven wrong but I am not real thrilled with outlook.  May be better but how much remains to be seen.

Quote: @NFL Draft Guru said:

We need to be honest about this line's potential: it isn't talented. Or athletic. Its a bunch of average Joes'. That SHOULD be better than last year if they stay healthy. I think the line will struggle also. I think Reiff will get exposed out there because he's really a RT in the NFL, I disagree with you there. 

Boone seems to think so far this year they are tougher and nastier than since  he got here. I guess we'll see if that's enough.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NFL Draft Guru said:

Berger goes back to center... Sirles cements himself as the starting RG for the next 8 years.  booyah! 
I think Sirles has the best shot of any of the backups to get some starts.  Who is he competing with Kerin, Beavers, Isodara and then the loser of the Easton/Elflein battle?  The OL was such a mess it was hard to gauge any player.  They have to work in such unison so with so many injuries it was just like watching unsyncronized swimming.  

I didn't think Sirles played that bad at either position he played - RT/RG.  But I also give Boone a little leeway as well with hsi surrounds.  I thought he was average but it is difficult to hold down the fort when those around you are falling down.  The shear number of injuries is just too overwhelming for me to make that many conclusions going into this year.

But here are a few - Clemmings should never play LT again.  Put him back at RT throughout camp/preseason and see if he can rebound.  It is only year 3 for him and OL take more time to develop then many other positions.

Kerin battled Easton last preseason for the backup Center spot and lost.  He was switched over to Guard.  After time on our PS he is now on the bubble.  

Easton has only been played at Center, correct?  He did spend that one preseason, before our trade, with Sparano in SF.  But if he loses out to Elflein can he play Guard?

Elflein is said to have the versatility to play either Guard position and Center - but a rookie so who knows?

Boone - is in his last year of his contract I think.  

Hill (LT), we signed off a PS (Carolina??) late last year so need to see a lot of him at LT throughout preseason.

Beavers, and I said this during last preseason, was probably the worst OL prospect I had seen.  Completely lost, overpowered, and outhustled.  That was my read even before he was cut.  But he is another year older and still eligible for the PS alonge with Isadora.

I think we are going to looking extremely closely at the late team cut waiver wires at all OL positions, as we should. 

What kind of line is Tony going to give us this year? Over achievers or Under achievers?
I would think this is a make or break year for Tony. He gave us a few head scratchers last year.
I agree with Guru the right side is going to be the biggest concern.

Quote: @Norse said:
What kind of line is Tony going to give us this year? Over achievers or Under achievers?
I would think this is a make or break year for Tony. He gave us a few head scratchers last year.
well considering what he had to work with... i would have been happy for chicken salad.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
well considering what he had to work with... i would have been happy for chicken salad.
IDK - Sparano's first year was obviously crap and the amount of injuries was out-of-hand but I think he had a say in some decisions that didn't work out - for example, the Beavers pick in the 4th round.  The guy was horrible, was cut (which doesn't happen often for a 4th rounder), no other team claimed him so we put him back on our PS.  

This year's draft stamp is of course Elflein and Isadora.

I would also think that Sparano has some say in our free agency periods the last two years and last year Smith at RT was a flop after Load couldn't get back.  This year his stamp is on Reiff and Remmers.  

Lastly, back to last year the flipping of Fusco back from LG to RG did not pan out even though I thought it would.  Turned-out Fusco was never the same after his injury 3 years ago.

But these are all decisions that Sparano had a say in and even beyond the amount of injuries his decision-making/scheme was horrible last year.

He needs to develop an average OL asap.

I agree with Norse - make or break for Tony

We brought Clancy Barone in to take over as the team’s tight ends coach, but he was the offensive line coach for the Bronco's.