Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Greedy?
They need to find another Duke Shelly from some practice squad.

Quote: @Greylock said:
I listened to a good discussion on Shelly this week on local sports radio...

Said that $ wasn't the reason they didnt keep him; rather Flores had a say in the decision and he may not have believed The Duke was a good fit in his scheme.

I suspect we'll never know for sure.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Said that $ wasn't the reason they didnt keep him; rather Flores had a say in the decision and he may not have believed The Duke was a good fit in his scheme.

With Flores reputation for not being a great players coach and not getting along with players, any personnel decision made by him makes me a little skeptical.  Have very low expectations for him and his defense.  

@Greylock said:

I wish I could remember where I read it but I did read that Shelly is buried in the depth chart with the Raiders.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Greylock said:

I wish I could remember where I read it but I did read that Shelly is buried in the depth chart with the Raiders.
Me as well. But lets not let that interfere with the legend of Shelley here in Vikingland, lol. One of the finest CBs in the history of the franchise and they let him go!  :p God forbid they wanted to UPGRADE the position. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@1VikesFan said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Greylock said:

Me as well. But lets not let that interfere with the legend of Shelley here in Vikingland, lol. One of the finest CBs in the history of the franchise and they let him go!  :p God forbid they wanted to UPGRADE the position. 
I think it had more to do with they  had a CB that made some plays on D that they didn't have to spend a First or second round pick on.

@Greylock said:

Vikings offered 1.2. Raiders offered 1.3. So clearly the Vikings wanted to keep him, but not enough to spend the extra $100K.

I think it's mostly about scheme and fit. According to PFF, Shelly played best in man, a Flores requirement. However, Flores seems to like bigger corners, so I doubt he was pounding the table for a 5-9, 176 corner.