Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: USWNT Soccer
I'll always cheer for Team USA in these things.  I can appreciate Rapinoe's accomplishments while also finding her to be a likely distraction and to have, to me, a complete lack of charisma.

The team looked "off", like they were lacking intensity at times this time around...and they lost.  Well, they need to strive to be better if they want to regain their swagger...this is common in sports.

As for the whole kneeling thing, eh...I don't like it, I don't like wearing the country's colors and protesting it at the same time.  That said, it's their right, a veteran buddy of mine set me straight on this years back when I was growling about it.  He doesn't like it either, but he fought for their right to do it, and that means a huge amount to him.

Quote: @Zanary said:
I'll always cheer for Team USA in these things.  I can appreciate Rapinoe's accomplishments while also finding her to be a likely distraction and to have, to me, a complete lack of charisma.

The team looked "off", like they were lacking intensity at times this time around...and they lost.  Well, they need to strive to be better if they want to regain their swagger...this is common in sports.

As for the whole kneeling thing, eh...I don't like it, I don't like wearing the country's colors and protesting it at the same time.  That said, it's their right, a veteran buddy of mine set me straight on this years back when I was growling about it.  He doesn't like it either, but he fought for their right to do it, and that means a huge amount to him.
its their  "right"  but it doesnt make it right.

honestly,  if they didnt suck out loud,  very few would be talking about their "protests"  even the biggest DBags get cheered for when they are winning,  as they say,  it cures a lot.

I think with Rapinoe gone, you tell the team that kneeling is unacceptable on the World stage and those that do will be sent home.  If you're ashamed of your Country...maybe you're not the best respresentative.  These guys were sent home.  

[Image: 220px-John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Pet...1968cr.jpg]

Quote: @badgervike said:
I think with Rapinoe gone, you tell the team that kneeling is unacceptable on the World stage and those that do will be sent home.  These guys were sent home.  
they definitely will be best served with a culture change that puts the focus back on mission.

Quote: @badgervike said:
I think with Rapinoe gone, you tell the team that kneeling is unacceptable on the World stage and those that do will be sent home.  If you're ashamed of your Country...maybe you're not the best respresentative.  These guys were sent home.  

[Image: 220px-John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Pet...1968cr.jpg]
They represent the USA and go out of their way to show how sexist and racist we are.  There's not one team in this tournament that has done better by its players than the US.  perhaps a thank you may have been a more compelling message?  I love the outrage expressed by the other side that many/most Americans rooted for their defeat.  They want their own stage to speak their views, but everybody that disagrees with them are racists or misogynists. Buh bye…

Soccer would be great if they could run with or throw the ball, tackle whoever has it, and getting the ball past the end lines would count for points instead of kicking it in stupid nets. 

I give Lloyd a lot of credit, this insider has tried to put the team's feet to the fire and be accountable with criticism:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2023/08/15/car...-world-cup

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I give Lloyd a lot of credit, this insider has tried to put the team's feet to the fire and be accountable with criticism:

To me that was he blaming her younger teammates.  Nothing about the distractions that this team has been making for itself the last decade plus,   and the potential consequences that may have had on funding and participation for those Jr programs,  or the way those current younger players saw their roles on this team.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

To me that was he blaming her younger teammates.  Nothing about the distractions that this team has been making for itself the last decade plus,   and the potential consequences that may have had on funding and participation for those Jr programs,  or the way those current younger players saw their roles on this team.
She actually spoke up after the Bronze Medal performance in the Olympics publicly.  I suspect she spoke up internally before that.  Yes, it would have been better if she had done so earlier, but I appreciate that she is speaking up.

Carli Lloyd rips former teammates after she refused to take knee: They ‘became more about building a brand’ (yahoo.com)

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

She actually spoke up after the Bronze Medal performance in the Olympics publicly.  I suspect she spoke up internally before that.  Yes, it would have been better if she had done so earlier, but I appreciate that she is speaking up.

Carli Lloyd rips former teammates after she refused to take knee: They ‘became more about building a brand’ (yahoo.com)
but in this article she was calling out the development programs and not acknowledging that perhaps the way the varsity team has acted is causing the erosion of the developmental tiers.