Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian O'Neill in practice

Saw that, very good news. He's right on track. With no setbacks, should be good to go game 1 or very close to game 1. 

O'Neill 'looks even better'Right tackle Brian O'Neill's return to 11-on-11 drills during Sunday's padded practice was a welcomed sight for offensive coordinator Wes Phillips and the coaching staff. O'Neill said afterward that he's still working back from the Jan. 1 partially torn Achilles tendon that prematurely ended his 2022 season.
"He looked athletic," Phillips said. "He was even doing some things that we felt that he had worked on, somehow, without having a [healthy] Achilles over this offseason; some of the things with his punch and his [pass protection] sets. We were saying, 'Wow, it looks even better.'
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-tj-hockenson-ear-infection-training-camp-brian-oneill/600297082/

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
O'Neill 'looks even better'Right tackle Brian O'Neill's return to 11-on-11 drills during Sunday's padded practice was a welcomed sight for offensive coordinator Wes Phillips and the coaching staff. O'Neill said afterward that he's still working back from the Jan. 1 partially torn Achilles tendon that prematurely ended his 2022 season.
"He looked athletic," Phillips said. "He was even doing some things that we felt that he had worked on, somehow, without having a [healthy] Achilles over this offseason; some of the things with his punch and his [pass protection] sets. We were saying, 'Wow, it looks even better.'
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-tj-hockenson-ear-infection-training-camp-brian-oneill/600297082/
O'Neill is basically an above average OT, he's nothing more than that. But I'll take it. I like O'Neill's attitude.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
O'Neill is basically an above average OT, he's nothing more than that. But I'll take it. I like O'Neill's attitude.
Above average among all tackles probably, but easily top 5 among right tackles. And when you have an emerging star like Darrisaw on the other side, that's pretty damn good. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
Above average among all tackles probably, but easily top 5 among right tackles. And when you have an emerging star like Darrisaw on the other side, that's pretty damn good. 
Thats an interesting way to look at it.

If you go all the way back to some of the better teams and their starting OT's, Darrisaw/O'Neill as a tandem could rank very highly:

1969: Alderman/Davis
1977: Goodrum/Yary
1987: Irwin/Zimmerman
1998: Big K/Steussie
2009: Loadholt/McKinney
2023: Darrisaw/O'Neill

I think our OLine is going to be remembered more for its
weaknesses than it’s strengths.  Kirk was
the most hit QB in the league last year and we struggled to run the ball when
we really needed to.  It’s hard for me be
like, “Wow look at these great guys” when the overall output just isn’t there.  I think they need to get those interior
linemen to an average level and then maybe the OTs will shine a little bit more
for me.

O’Neil is a great RT and top 5 most years. Now that we have Darrisaw, things are looking good at tackle, but prior to that, O’Neill was pretty much the best lineman we had. 
Bradbury was better last year, but is still a weakness. Guard has been an issue for a long time, but Cleveland was pretty good last year. Ed Engram in the other hand was terrible. As in bottom of the league. They stuck with him though, so they must feel he can develop. If he doesn’t, I sure hope they try someone else for Kirk’s sake.