Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ingram
Risner is a LG. Who gets moved to RG?

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Risner is a LG. Who gets moved to RG?
Cleveland started at RG his rookie year. 

I was told O-line continuity is beneficial and that's not a myth!
While I believe that is true, continuing with marginal players doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
One could say playing Ingram was to get him more experience. But it could also mean they are evaluating whether he should continue as a starter.

Quote: @minny65 said:
DL and IOL are still a problem just like last year.
And all that will be talked about next April is what CB should they draft in the first two rounds.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
I was told O-line continuity is beneficial and that's not a myth!
While I believe that is true, continuing with marginal players doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
One could say playing Ingram was to get him more experience. But it could also mean they are evaluating whether he should continue as a starter.
Why anyone would think continuity is not beneficial is beyond me. But like I've said, we don't know by how much. If the IOL, specifically Ingram, is 10-20% better, then great. But if the improvement is insignificant, we'll have the same problems.

One piece of news from training camp that has gone mostly unnoticed is that Blake Brandel was moved from tackle to RG. Specifically RG. Ingram should be incrementally better in his 2nd season, but if it's not enough, Brandel could replace him by week one. 

I don't even know why are messing around with Brandel or any of these other guys if Ingram continues to struggle. Sign Risner and be done with the damn thing. If that means switching Cleveland to RG, do it. Quickest way to derail a season is holes on the offensive line. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I don't even know why are messing around with Brandel or any of these other guys if Ingram continues to struggle. Sign Risner and be done with the damn thing. If that means switching Cleveland to RG, do it. Quickest way to derail a season is holes on the offensive line. 
Agree about the OL potentially derailing a season. I just don't think Risner is the cure-all many think he is. The Broncos didn't even try to sign him. Most Bronco fans were happy to see him go as well.

Is he a better pass blocker than Ingram? Yes. And that fact right there might be enough to justify a 1-year patch deal. Keeping Kirk clean has to be a top priority. I just think Brandel might as good, if not a better, option.

Among 64 starting guards and about a couple dozen spot starters, Risner ranked 54th overall. 74th in run blocking. Our guy led the league in pressures given up, so can't do any worse, but Risner wasn't much better, ranking 11th in pressures. So we're not talking Steve Hutchinson here. 

Denver beat writer:Now, while it’s true the team could certainly do worse than Risner and that maybe the devil you know is preferable to the one you don’t, it’s impossible to deny that the Broncos could also do a lot better. Outside of Cushenberry, who’s practically been exiled from the roster it feels, Risner has been the team’s worst starting lineman in each of the past two seasons, and therefore, is the most pressing need outside of center. It should also be noted that Risner is the team’s third-best guard presently, with Graham Glasgow and Quinn Meinerz leading the way

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Agree about the OL potentially derailing a season. I just don't think Risner is the cure-all many think he is. The Broncos didn't even try to sign him. Most Bronco fans were happy to see him go as well.

Is he a better pass blocker than Ingram? Yes. And that fact right there might be enough to justify a 1-year patch deal. Keeping Kirk clean has to be a top priority. I just think Brandel might as good, if not a better, option.

Among 64 starting guards and about a couple dozen spot starters, Risner ranked 54th overall. 74th in run blocking. Our guy led the league in pressures given up, so can't do any worse, but Risner wasn't much better, ranking 11th in pressures. So we're not talking Steve Hutchinson here. 

Denver beat writer:Now, while it’s true the team could certainly do worse than Risner and that maybe the devil you know is preferable to the one you don’t, it’s impossible to deny that the Broncos could also do a lot better. Outside of Cushenberry, who’s practically been exiled from the roster it feels, Risner has been the team’s worst starting lineman in each of the past two seasons, and therefore, is the most pressing need outside of center. It should also be noted that Risner is the team’s third-best guard presently, with Graham Glasgow and Quinn Meinerz leading the way
I'm quite sure nobody views Risner as the 'cure all'.....but we have 2 of the worst guards in football in pass protect. This thought that somehow they are going to improve in a big way is ridiculous. Eventually, all of these hits that Kirk keeps taking is going to get him injured. 

Dude is an average starter looking for high end starter money. I’m sure some team will swoop in any day now & sign both him & Cook to top market deals to form the next dynamic duo …  Wink :p  

Quote: @Kentis said:
Dude is an average starter looking for high end starter money. I’m sure some team will swoop in any day now & sign both him & Cook to top market deals to form the next dynamic duo …  Wink :p  
I would say below average. Still, no one is going to be giving Risner big money, so I have no problem with the Vikings bringing him in on a 1-year deal. 

I went back and watched all of Ingram's snaps. He only had about 10-12. One was horrible, one was not very good. I thought the rest were OK. I also watched Brandel. He looked better. If I'm making the call, Brandel starts getting RG1 reps this week.