Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF... Big Ten
Its all about the money. So FAU here in Boca Raton (Florida Atlantic University) just made the Final Four in college basketball last year. Its this hidden gem small D-1 university near the ocean that has so much potential and now......NOW.....they've gotten 500% more personal donor millions for the university in the past 5 months it will be transformative. They will recruit well to this location, trust me on this. All new athletic facilities will be fast tracked. Its been a whirlwind and I'm semi-involved in their sports programs as a consultant and can tell you that the $$$$ changes everything. This was like hitting the lottery for FAU. The exposure they received on this was priceless.....literally. 

So the Big Ten and SEC, the only conferences that matter anymore will provide the most vital thing in sports viewing: exciting matchups. Its what 85%+ of the viewing audience wants to see. Big boys knocking heads. I'll be right there as a Michigan fan. I'm just going to remove my hypocritical view that it hurts college football because I'll be tuning in, clicking, etc. Something will be lost, for sure. But something else will be gained and we know what that is. And when the best 80%  of athletes in college football go to 30 universities, you'll see amazing football. But, you ask, what about the kids that mature late? That grow in a program after a being downgraded as a senior in high school? The rest of the colleges will be feeders for the top 30 CFB programs in the country. The transfer portal has never ever been easier. 

Not saying I like this new environment philosophically. But I'm saying I'm going to begrudgingly love it......because it will engender some really good football distilled. if you want a true 'Hoosier's' story, it can still happen in CBB. I love college basketball. 

Well, maybe now the BIG West will finally stand a chance of winning a conference football title  :p  

It's all about business so it's a money grab, nothing new there 

I'm a diehard pro football fan but extremely casual with college, other than the Huskers. Consolidating the talent at the top will absolutely result in me watching more of the big games. But CFB has so many issues. The refs, announcers, and most teams are all really bad. Results in tons of blowouts. As a casual, I just want to tune into the fourth quarter most of the time. If one team is up 21 points I'm not giving it the time of day on the off chance something cool happens. If I miss that, oh well.
Obviously this is all about money but IMO CFB needs to focus more on fixing the game versus just reshuffling the deck (teams moving conferences) ad infinitum.
CBB has many similar problems with the game, only worse. Sprinkle in the fact that the regular season barely matters and I'm not watching anything other than my 1 or 2 favorite teams. Again, IMO.
I say this as someone who watches every NFL snap I can get my eyes on, is still watching a dreadful Royals team and can enjoy other MLB games too. Plus golf every week, ponies, and NBA. I love sports. Good sports.

I guess I don’t really care about college football much, but
what is going on?  Is the whole issue
that conferences with a higher percentage of good teams are worth more money on
average, whereas conferences with only a few good teams are getting paid less
money on average, so the good teams in bad conferences want to bolt to a conference
with more quality teams so they get more money?

Saw a great comment about this realignment from the Missouri football coach:    

Football will be fine,” he said. Instead, he spent the next three minutes questioning the seeming lack of communication between facilitators of conference realignment and the larger student-athlete body, particularly those competing in non-revenue sports such as softball and baseball.
“Look, my question is, did we count the cost? I'm not talking about a financial cost, I'm talking about, did we count the costs for the student-athletes involved in this decision? What cost is it to those student-athletes? We're talking about a football decision they based off football. But what about softball and baseball, who have to travel across the country? Did we ask about the cost of them?
“Do we know what the number one indicator (or) symptom or cause of mental health is? It’s lack of rest and sleep. Traveling in those baseball, softball games, you know, those people they travel commercial, they get done playing at four, they gotta go to the airport, they come back, it's three or four in the morning, they gotta go to class. I mean, did we ask any of them?”
Oregon and Washington will move the Big Ten for the 2024 season, creating a potential coast-to-coast matchup — across all sports — with the likes of Rutgers in Piscataway, New Jersey. Arizona State, Arizona and Utah are following Colorado to the Big 12, which will put the desert schools as UCF in Orlando, Florida.
Gone was the cautious head coach who filibustered SEC media days in July by listing his entire roster, determined not to produce a soundbite that could, well, bite him. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
with all these other schools joining the Big 10, I think they are up to 16 or 17 schools with the addition of now Oregon and Washington,  at what point to the schools that are already in the big 10 but cant really compete,  like Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana, Nebraska, and Minnesota say fuck it and go try and start a new conference or join one they can be more competitive in?   This is getting beyond stupid when you have teams joining conferences that are a continent apart in geography.  remember when it was about school pride, student athletes,  and regional rivalries?  This is just getting lame.
They aren't leaving, the conference could be called the Big Money instead of the Big Ten because that's what it provides the member schools.
Yup.  Big Bucks conference.  Or Big 60mill.  

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
with all these other schools joining the Big 10, I think they are up to 16 or 17 schools with the addition of now Oregon and Washington,  at what point to the schools that are already in the big 10 but cant really compete,  like Rutgers, Northwestern, Indiana, Nebraska, and Minnesota say fuck it and go try and start a new conference or join one they can be more competitive in?   This is getting beyond stupid when you have teams joining conferences that are a continent apart in geography.  remember when it was about school pride, student athletes,  and regional rivalries?  This is just getting lame.
They aren't leaving, the conference could be called the Big Money instead of the Big Ten because that's what it provides the member schools.
LOL,  what happens when 2 or 3 teams that are the draw decide that  they are tired of the leeches and want a bigger share of the pie?  its a no brainer for the teams that arent making that kind of money to want to join in,  but  at some point they will want the tit suckers out or at least replaced with teams that provide a little more on their own.  honestly,  who wants to go watch their team get shit stomped for the 15th straight year with no hope of making a bowl that ever means anything?

College football has just turned into a huge shit show with NIL and the yearly conference realignments. All about money and not what's in the best interest of the game. All the things that have made college football great are going by the wayside..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
College football has just turned into a huge shit show with NIL and the yearly conference realignments. All about money and not what's in the best interest of the game. All the things that have made college football great are going by the wayside..
kinda like the olympics when they allowed paid pro athletes,  just kind of ruins the appeal.