Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eye of the Shield Turns to The Colts...
On Monday, Matt Rybaltowski of Sports Handle reported that the NFL was investigating an Indianapolis Colts player for "pervasive" sports betting, which reportedly included wagers on the Colts.
Later on Monday, the team confirmed the investigation.
"We are aware of the NFL's investigation, and we will have no further comment at this time," the Colts said in a statement (h/t Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star).
Rybaltowski reported that the unnamed player placed "hundreds of bets" via "an account opened by an acquaintance." A number of those wagers reportedly came from within the Colts' facilities, which also violates the NFL's gambling policy.
The Indiana Gaming Commission confirmed the situation.
"I can confirm that we have received information pertaining to this matter and we are following developments," IGC deputy director Jenny Reske told Rybaltowski. "The IGC is not the lead agency because it involves violations of league policy. We will, however, continue to review information as it emerges to see if it requires any regulatory action."
Violations of the NFL's gambling policy continue to be an ongoing storyline. In April, the NFL suspended Detroit Lions wideouts Jameson Williams and Stanley Berryhill for six games after they were found to have placed bets on other sports while at team facilities.
Additionally, Lions receiver Quintez Cephus and safety C.J. Moore and Washington Commanders defensive end Shaka Toney were suspended indefinitely for sports gambling infractions. The Lions ultimately released Berryhill, Cephus and Moore.
And in March 2022, now-Jacksonville Jaguars wideout Calvin Ridley was suspended indefinitely for gambling on NFL games while he was away from the Atlanta Falcons on the non-football illness list in 2021. He was reinstated this March.
Between more states legalizing sports betting, online apps making it easier than ever for people to quickly place wagers and the NFL's own complicated relationship to gambling—it has partnerships with DraftKings, FanDuel and Caesars Entertainment worth a reported $1 billion—it's hard to imagine issues with players gambling, or even coaches and referees, going away anytime soon.
"It is going to be a big problem around the league because a lot of players are gamblers," an anonymous agent told Kalyn Kahler of The Athletic. "I haven't heard of a player gambling on an NFL game, but pretty much everything else."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10078306-colts-confirm-nfl-gambling-investigation-into-unnamed-player-amid-rumors?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles...Sauron.jpg]

"...the NFL was investigating an Indianapolis Colts player for "pervasive" sports betting, which reportedly included wagers on the Colts..."

I hope he lost his shirt on Dec. 17th. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
"...the NFL was investigating an Indianapolis Colts player for "pervasive" sports betting, which reportedly included wagers on the Colts..."

Lol, or was he the only Colts player smiling after the game. B)

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

If he bet against his own team, he should be drawn and quartered. What's amazing about that game is that it wasn't a two halves game, like most comebacks. The Vikings continued losing big well into the 2nd half. It was 36-7 with just a couple minutes left in the 3rd. I can't imagine what that game must have been like for a bettor. 

Jeez! Whoever it is is going to be in some HOT water. Probably not an impact player but who knows. Imagine if it's like Johnathon Taylor or someone and now their season is toast. Would be a real shame! :p
Side story about that Colts game. I was in a buddy's wedding that day so we were on the party bus and taking photos that afternoon. All my buddies were clowning me about the Vikings for a solid hour and a half and then... ultimate glory. We got to the wedding venue in the middle of the fourth and in and around the taking pictures, everyone was huddled around an ipad watching the comeback. Not quite preferable to being able to watch the whole game by myself, which is my preferred way to watch the Vikings since I get animated during the games, but it was definitely one I'll never forget. Plus now every year on my buddy Eric's anniversary I can wish him a Happy Vikes/Colts Comeback Day. So still a W!

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Jeez! Whoever it is is going to be in some HOT water. Probably not an impact player but who knows. Imagine if it's like Johnathon Taylor or someone and now their season is toast. Would be a real shame! :p
Side story about that Colts game. I was in a buddy's wedding that day so we were on the party bus and taking photos that afternoon. All my buddies were clowning me about the Vikings for a solid hour and a half and then... ultimate glory. We got to the wedding venue in the middle of the fourth and in and around the taking pictures, everyone was huddled around an ipad watching the comeback. Not quite preferable to being able to watch the whole game by myself, which is my preferred way to watch the Vikings since I get animated during the games, but it was definitely one I'll never forget. Plus now every year on my buddy Eric's anniversary I can wish him a Happy Vikes/Colts Comeback Day. So still a W!
Well at least you had something to distract you during the first 2/3rds of the game.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

If he bet against his own team, he should be drawn and quartered. What's amazing about that game is that it wasn't a two halves game, like most comebacks. The Vikings continued losing big well into the 2nd half. It was 36-7 with just a couple minutes left in the 3rd. I can't imagine what that game must have been like for a bettor. 
The Colts covered the spread despite the historic collapse.