Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings sign Ivan Pace, Jr.
Pace took one look at our ILB depth chart and was parked in Eagan 5 minutes after the draft ended  :p

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Pace isn't likely to supplant Hicks any time soon. Even if he does, the Vikings with Asamoah and Pace, might have the smallest ILB duo in the NFL. Ridiculous range, toughness and intensity with both of them, but it probably doesn't work.

For now, I just can't wait to watch him this preseason. Love the chip. After going undrafted, he posted this on Instagram: "Y'all done fucked up."
Pace may be short, but at 231 and 5'10 1/2, he's apparently built of neutronium. Anyone remember Sam Mills with New Orleans?  Wrecking ball with feet.  Not saying he'll be Mills, but man what a steal if it happens.

Should be fun to watch in preseason.

Quote: @RS Express said:
@MaroonBells said:
Pace isn't likely to supplant Hicks any time soon. Even if he does, the Vikings with Asamoah and Pace, might have the smallest ILB duo in the NFL. Ridiculous range, toughness and intensity with both of them, but it probably doesn't work.

For now, I just can't wait to watch him this preseason. Love the chip. After going undrafted, he posted this on Instagram: "Y'all done fucked up."
Pace may be short, but at 231 and 5'10 1/2, he's apparently built of neutronium. Anyone remember Sam Mills with New Orleans?  Wrecking ball with feet.  Not saying he'll be Mills, but man what a steal if it happens.
Mills was actually 5-9 and was a 5X Pro Bowler. Zach Thomas was 5-11 and was a 7X Pro Bowler. Mike Singletary was 5-11, 10X Pro Bowler. London Fletcher was 5-10, 4X Pro Bowler. 

I think you need more length in today's game due to all the coverage requirements. Still, I think the only reason IPJ went undrafted is because of HWS benchmarks teams have.

But, man, the way he blitzes and seems to have a knack for slithering through creases to get to the QB, he could be a star in a Flores defense. 

Pace specifically reminds me of the mentioned London Fletcher. I remember wanting the Vikings to draft him because his stats were insane. He was at a small school, but to hit the numbers he did, there was just little doubt he was good. I don’t remember him running the 4.38 he later claimed, but once he got in the league there was no doubt about his quickness. 
Pace is the same quick type player on tape. His 4.6 doesn’t match at all with his game speed. His game speed looks in the 4.4’s easy. He closes on QB’s so fast it looks like a blur at times. You repeatedly see him dip under blockers and explode out to make a tackle. His actual “length” is ridiculous for his size. In this he really reminds me of Fletcher. 
Probably the most impressive thing I noticed watching him was his man handling of 300 pound plus offensive lineman at times. He literally can toss them aside. I think he did 22 reps, but again, his actual functional strength appears to be much stronger. It will be interesting to see if he has similar success in the NFL. 
Fletcher thought he’d be a mid round pick as well. That chip never left his shoulder. I suspect we will see the same from Pace. I think he’ll jump out to people once they hit the field. 

Less and less room for true ILBs/MLBs in today's NFL. I'm rooting for him.

Watched some Pace videos. He reminded me of Ed McDaniel. About the same size too.

Ivan Pace Jr. 

• 1st team All-American• PFF's highest graded LB in the nation
• AAC Defensive Player of the Year• 2023 Senior Bowl Defensive MVP

Among LBs
• Most QB pressures in the nation• Most defensive stops in the nation• Best run defense grade in the nation