Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG. We did it. We just drafted our QBOTF
I like the pick at this point in the draft.  Little back-story on him, he actually beat out Zach Wilson a few years back for starting QB, but got injured, so the team rolled with Wilson and he got the hot hand and they kept him around.  Was a stud baseball player and chose football.  Time will tell if he develops into a good pro player, but I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with his arm.  I saw several of his games live (I am a BYU alum) and he has a great mix of strength, accuracy and touch.  The "system" he ran was pro-style, so not sure the beefs from scouts saying he was a one-read type of guy.  He is great at pocket presence and scrambles very effectively when needed to buy time for receivers to break open.  Honestly, watching some of his games reminded me quite a bit of being a kid and watching another Viking QB that was undersized and quick, running around like crazy looking for open receivers in the 70's.  Not saying he is the 2nd coming of Tarkenton, just saying he has some similar traits. The injury history is the only thing worrisome to me, but should become a good back-up within a couple of years at a minimum, but maybe more.

Would have gone with Duggan

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Would have gone with Duggan
No thanks.   Anything Duggan throws past 10 yards quacks.

Just tell me he doesnt weigh 175

Nobody is concerned about him being 25?  Thats seemed to be a hang up for some on Hooker. 

I think some of these “scouts” smoke crack on the road lol! On tape he has a good arm. Not elite strength but a “good” arm for the NFL. He threw a ball 70 yards a few years back and watching tape I saw one at about 58 air yards and off center completed in stride for a TD. There are NFL QB’s borderline on doing that. The comps with Wilson are spot on. I don’t see his footwork as polished as Wilson’s was coming out, but otherwise they are close. I suspect he would have been talked about at the top of the draft if he wasn’t old at 25 (Mormon missionary time loss) and smaller than typically desired.
His speed is excellent. He’s much faster on tape compared to his 40 time. On tape he’s right in that 4.4 to 4.5 range. In my opinion, he plays at Wilson’s speed if not slightly faster. He’ll give defensive coordinators heartburn if he develops that ability further. 
Lastly, his greatest strength in my opinion is his accuracy. He so often throws into contested coverage at an angle where only his guy can get it. He seems to have a natural feel for it. The ball gets there quick and “comfortably” (best word I could think of to describe his touch). 
So there’s a lot to work with. His troubles are his footwork and too many off base throws relying solely on his arm strength. It works fine in college because he can dial up the velocity, but it will be a problem facing NFL speed. 
Although he seems at times to have pretty decent pocket presence, it is inconsistent and pressure is a big problem with his decision making. He seems fearless, but also seems to freeze a bit when it’s coming on him. 
Can he put it together? I hope so as the talent is definitely there. He’ll be a capable 2nd stringer quickly. The rest will be up to the coaches and him. 

Well, at least he's not (word of the day) - spindly!

I like him. Could surprise, thought he was more of a 3rd round talent.