Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn that's a lot of comp!
It's been said that when you draft a first round TE you are drafting some other team's TE.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@FLVike said:
Someone please help me reason on this;The Texans trade up 9 positions and also have to give up their first round in 2024.Last year we allowed the Lions to trade up 20 positions for a handful of peanuts?Why shouldn't we had the Lions first pick this draft? We're talking about 20 positions in the active first round of the 2022 draft.
It will go down as one of the great mysteries (or f-up's) in Vikings draft lore 
I agree, but had he stayed put and selected Jameson Williams like I had hoped he would, we would be in the same situation with a high need at receiver thanks to his gambling shenanigans. Nothing we can do about it now. We did fleece them back for TJ. 
I would say the fleecing for Hockenson is still yet to be determined. Let's see what the Lions do with our pick but regardless we are now the team needing to extend him on a big money extension, not the Lions, and it could have been argued we could have sat tight and taken advantage of the depth of the tight end position in this draft. I am floored Michael Mayer is still on the board. Being an ND fan, I've seen a lot of great TE's come through that door but Mayer was better then all of them. If I had the choice of having Hockensen on a large money extension or Mayer on a rookie deal, I'd take Mayer without hesitation 
Until JJ get's his extension, we don't have any big money receivers on this team so I'm fine paying a premier TE good money on an extension. His impact coming in when he did with no Training Camp or any time to learn the KOC offense was a huge boost to this team when Thielen was non existent most games, and you never had any idea when KJ was going to show up or not. I'm expecting an even better season out of him. 
Tight ends aren't just notoriously slow starters, they're also really hard to get right in the draft. It's no coincidence that the best TEs in the NFL were not taken early. Andrews, Kittle, Kelcey, Waller, all taken mid to late rounds by teams who were just guessing. Meanwhile, Kyle Pitts, a top 10 pick and the so-called 2nd coming of Tony Gonzalez, has 3 TDs in two years. OJ Howard, Njoku, Hurst, Ebron...no thanks. 

I'm glad we have Hockenson mostly because Detroit endured his developmental years and we don't have to. It was a good move. If we didn't have him and we needed a TE in this draft, sure, there are some good ones, but don't expect anything for a few years.

Hock is a stud, and I'm pumped we got him.  The dude looks like a Viking!